UK theme parks from another point of view!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:23 am

Do you mean the airtime hills?

They are good, yes, but the inversions (particularly the first half) are more important to me.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:28 pm

Mark-Cal wrote:
It's quite ironic really, a ride that makes such a big deal over all those inversions and yet many people seem to rate the two little air time hops as their favourite parts !

I think it's because air-time is a bit of a rarity in the UK, particularly at Merlin parks (Rita has a couple of moments, but they're softened by the unnecessary OTSRs). I'm not sure Merlin have the ability to successfully market an air-time machine without inversions or some kind of gimmick, although Thorpe's Facebook regularly drops hints towards an Intamin pre-fab woody, so we can still dream.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Mark-Cal wrote:
It's quite ironic really, a ride that makes such a big deal over all those inversions and yet many people seem to rate the two little air time hops as their favourite parts !

they are the best parts of the ride tbh, as well as being a relief from the head banging :lol

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:01 pm

The first inversion is definitely not head bangy. It is so smooth it is unbelievable!

Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:38 pm

jackandylan123 wrote:
Mark-Cal wrote:

they are the best parts of the ride tbh, as well as being a relief from the head banging :lol

Yup, the little hops, especially the second one, are the bits I look forward to most, I like going upside down as much as the next coaster fan but I'd trade it for airtime (even if it's only brief) ever time !

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 am

^^^ If it's airtime you like, America is the best place to look.

However, I think, The Smiler has more Airtime than Colossus...

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 am

^yes, but SAW has more airtime than smiler, and is all round just a better ride, due to a bit more thought going into the planning.

You don't have to go to america to get airtime or good rides, it's all over the world! (I mean, look at a lot of the top coasters in the Mitch Hawker Poll and where they are!)

IMO, the Smiler could have been better by just staying with the plans that were released originally, not just changing every element that wasn't an inversion into an inversion just for a gimmick. (I don't know what this has to do with what you said, BUT I SAID THIS ANYWAY! :P)

stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 am

Smiler opened nice and early again this morning. Up and running for the public before 9.45

Queues building up to about 2 hours now.

Nice to get 6 runs in the first hour. And the sun is out as well what more could you ask...

Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:20 am

NemesisRider wrote:
The first inversion is definitely not head bangy. It is so smooth it is unbelievable!

I'm the first person to defend the smiler however that first inversion is definitely not smooth haha but to me that's not a bad thing

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:06 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
^^^ If it's airtime you like, America is the best place to look.

Helix at Liseberg in Sweden is less than 2 hours flight and taxi from the UK and that is massive on airtime and has well thought out inversions. Air time isn't exclusive to America.

Back on topic guys. The Smilers first inversion is probably the smoothest of the track, but sadly it still isn't smooth. I still maintain they need to turn the lights off, add in strobes and back lights with some mist.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:30 pm

The more I ride this the more I begin to like it. Still not a massive fan, but it is a good addition to the park. There are some rough inversions but I find that if you kind of pull/push yourself into the seat on them then they aren't that rough.

Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:32 pm

Hmm, I have to admit I'm warming to Smiler a bit more now, but it's never going to make my top 3 Towers rides while there's still three B&M's in the park !
But there's no doubt it's very very popular with the non enthusiast visitors, which is fine by me 'cos while they're packed in the cattle pen it keeps the queues down on the B&M's ! :)

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:57 pm

After numerous rides on The Smiler over the weekend, I still like the ride but it is quickly moving down the list of my favourite coasters, purely because of how rough it is getting, and how whether you get a good ride depends on which train you're on.

I was actually quite lucky and all my rides were on trains 1 & 2, however even these are starting to show signs of roughness, particularly on the back. Having done front row on both trains as well they are both considerably rougher than they were earlier on in the season.

I still like the theme, the atmosphere and the soundtrack, but the coaster is ageing very rapidly and this really drives it down in my estimation.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:40 pm

Dan.N wrote:
After numerous rides on The Smiler over the weekend, I still like the ride but it is quickly moving down the list of my favourite coasters, purely because of how rough it is getting, and how whether you get a good ride depends on which train you're on.

I was actually quite lucky and all my rides were on trains 1 & 2, however even these are starting to show signs of roughness, particularly on the back. Having done front row on both trains as well they are both considerably rougher than they were earlier on in the season.

I still like the theme, the atmosphere and the soundtrack, but the coaster is ageing very rapidly and this really drives it down in my estimation.

I think that wear and tear on the wheels and track are responsible for that Dan. It has aged quite badly compared to the other rides in the park, this is partly due to the amount of visitors (I.E tons).

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:49 pm

NemesisRider wrote:
Dan.N wrote:

I think that wear and tear on the wheels and track are responsible for that Dan. It has aged quite badly compared to the other rides in the park, this is partly due to the amount of visitors (I.E tons).

The reason that it's ageing so rapidly is because it was a rushed project, and not constructed to the standard required. The amount of jolts is nothing to do with the number of riders, it's just down to poor engineering. The fact that it has developed a new jolt is also quite worrying.

The wear and tear on the wheels and track is down to Gerstlauers poor calculations with regards to weight etc. The amount of vibration on even the smoothest train is again nothing to do with the number of riders, it is solely down to poor engineering.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Yeah, you can't put it down to the number of riders. ALL big new attractions draw in huge visitor numbers. It was rough after about 2 months of operation, which isn't really acceptable for a brand new £18 million coaster.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Still, I've seen trains pulled off the track in the middle of the day, in peak season, whilst it is sunny because of wear and tear on the wheels.

Maybe, as a side project, they could research better wheels, etc. for The Smiler to use so it ages less...

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Dan.N wrote:
NemesisRider wrote:
Dan.N wrote:

The reason that it's ageing so rapidly is because it was a rushed project, and not constructed to the standard required. The amount of jolts is nothing to do with the number of riders, it's just down to poor engineering. The fact that it has developed a new jolt is also quite worrying.

The wear and tear on the wheels and track is down to Gerstlauers poor calculations with regards to weight etc. The amount of vibration on even the smoothest train is again nothing to do with the number of riders, it is solely down to poor engineering.

I totally agree with Dan, coasters that have barely had a season of operation shouldn't be this rough. It has absolutely nothing to do with numbers, was Nemesis rough after a year? It is solely down to the construction of the ride, like when the pieces of the track didnt fit together due to the rushed nature of the construction.

Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Is it really that rough though, honestly ?

Alton Towers is home to three B&M coasters that provide some of the smoothest rides available in the country, the build quality is obvious to anyone who cares to look and unfortunately every other coaster in the park has to compare to them.

I've been on a few Gerstlauer coasters and none of them could be called smooth, and when you squeeze 14 inversions in to an area the size of Smiler it's always going to exasperate the issue.

A rough coaster to me is Infusion at Blackpool or Furios Baco at Portaventura, compared to those, Smiler in comparison is like sitting in my favourite armchair.

The real issue, I think, is longevity, if Smiler is going to have a long term future then I can see some drastic alterations and improvements coming soon.
Alton Towers is never publicly going to admit Smiler was a mistake, they can argue visitor numbers alone make it a success, but if Merlin really could go back a few years and choose again I don't think it would be Gerstlauer's phone that would be ringing.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Still, The Smiler is a good ride. I don't think it was a mistake, just rushed.

The snow and deadline didn't help towards a flawless construction.