UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1619
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:13 pm

I agree, a lot smoother this season.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
 
User avatar
Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1117
Joined: January 2015
Location: astroworld

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:01 pm

Yeh, the smiler this season so far is so much smoother but still having some pretty hectic waits. The staff now are much better than they were as well in my opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 135
Joined: March 2012
Location: Wirral

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:50 am

I wouldn't say the staff are much better. They never smile! Such miserable ride team this year!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1619
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 am

owenrita121 wrote:
I wouldn't say the staff are much better. They never smile!


Yes they do.

Maybe they just don't like you? :lol
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2399
Joined: June 2009

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:06 am

owenrita121 wrote:
I wouldn't say the staff are much better. They never smile! Such miserable ride team this year!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk


Miserable or focused on the job at hand?

The Smiler must be the most intense ride to work on so I'm not surprised the staff are a bit more serious than you would expect.

When the ride first opened there were some staff members who would laugh/joke/play around in keeping with the rides theme but I believe some members of the public complained that it wasn't overly professional so they were asked to stop.
Image
Image
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:25 am

owenrita121 wrote:
I wouldn't say the staff are much better. They never smile! Such miserable ride team this year!


I think you're taking the rides theme a little too seriously, it hurts the cheeks to smile always. Plus in most cases it'd be a courtesy smile anyway and in that regard does it really matter?

As for the rides smoothness over the years I cannot notice a difference, may just be me not paying too much attention to detail.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
User avatar
owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 135
Joined: March 2012
Location: Wirral

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 am

Have I said they need to be constantly smiling? No.
When you compare them to Galactica's team, Rita's team and definitely Th13teens team they are miserable.
You can smile and be welcoming and still be focused on the ride. I'm not saying they should be like when the ride first opened at all, but it's not just me who noticed about their lack of enthusiasm. Most of my party did, and comments on the parks facebook page has also noticed too!
I'm not sure why you both are getting so defensive when I'm only stated what I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2399
Joined: June 2009

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:08 am

owenrita121 wrote:
I'm not sure why you both are getting so defensive when I'm only stated what I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk


It's not getting defensive, I'm simply stating a reason as to why they appear to be (in your opinion) miserable.
Image
Image
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:36 am

owenrita121 wrote:
Have I said they need to be constantly smiling? No.


I was being sarcastic in my comment. :) Let's not forget how many guests they see in a day and how brief your interaction with them is.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
User avatar
owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 135
Joined: March 2012
Location: Wirral

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:07 am

Andy Mc wrote:
owenrita121 wrote:
Have I said they need to be constantly smiling? No.


I was being sarcastic in my comment. :) Let's not forget how many guests they see in a day and how brief your interaction with them is.

Well that's fair enough then.
And yes I understand that, however I rode the multiple times that and every other visit this year and they've been no different except the odd one member of staff from time to time.
As I said, it's not just me who's noticed this though.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
 
Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1202
Joined: August 2014

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:09 pm

I'd imagine it does feel very pressured compared to other rides as well, some people might have had a bad day and complaining as well. I must say I don't really judge staff on how happy or miserable they are, yes sometimes it can make a difference, but just because someone is feeling a bit down/ looking sad doesn't affect how they efficiently/well they do their job, they have to work quicker as well to keep up throughput. I'd rather them be serious and keep the ride running well than stopping and talking to people, but that might just be me. :)
 
User avatar
Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1159
Joined: March 2015
Location: Rotherham

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:27 pm

owenrita121 wrote:
When you compare them to Galactica's team, Rita's team and definitely Th13teens team they are miserable.


In my opinion, I think it's quite the opposite. I think the Th13teen team are the most miserable, with the Smiler team being one of the happiest and cheeriest, along with the Nemesis team. Obviously this is just my opinion so don't judge.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2219!
Ride count 2020: 446!
Cred count: 117!

Image
 
User avatar
MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1619
Joined: February 2015
Location: Who knows?

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Rita's team are awesome.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]
 
Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 680
Joined: October 2014

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Just something to note, but the staff on the ride change depending on the day and shifts. The same staff don't work 7 days a week all year, so it might depend on what day you go on :)
 
User avatar
Jack
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1410
Joined: December 2012
Location: Solihull

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:15 pm

I personally see nothing wrong with the Smilers ride team this season, and I believe most of them have been working on it for more than just this year so the change that you see will have been a one off. I've actually found the Smilers team to be the most interactive on the whole resort when they aren't heavily concentrating on the massive bit of machinery they are expected to run, batching guests quickly into each loading bay and at the merge point of all the queues.
Image
 
User avatar
Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1117
Joined: January 2015
Location: astroworld

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:31 pm

Liam.W wrote:
owenrita121 wrote:
When you compare them to Galactica's team, Rita's team and definitely Th13teens team they are miserable.


In my opinion, I think it's quite the opposite. I think the Th13teen team are the most miserable, with the Smiler team being one of the happiest and cheeriest, along with the Nemesis team. Obviously this is just my opinion so don't judge.


Yeah the team on th13teen this year are so unhappy, and when I've been they have not been very quick at dispatching trains (unlike last year). Id also say that the Galactica team are brilliant as well, efficient & happy.

Every time I've ridden the smiler this year they have always smiled and been very friendly.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 803
Joined: July 2012

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 am

Can I just remind other members that Alton towers staff do read these forums, they are also people and some people on the forums friend. This is not a topic to discuss people's attitudes or ride teams specifically, the people you encounter don't represent a whole team nor do the same people work on the same ride they have a number of rides they are trained on so they can't represent a specific ride/team. Can we please focus on discussing either the ride or loosely the ride or ride related experiences. If you have an issue with any memebers of staff or there attitudes can I suggest you visit guest services and leave your feedback there thank you.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 135
Joined: March 2012
Location: Wirral

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:21 am

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Can I just remind other members that Alton towers staff do read these forums, they are also people and some people on the forums friend. This is not a topic to discuss people's attitudes or ride teams specifically, the people you encounter don't represent a whole team nor do the same people work on the same ride they have a number of rides they are trained on so they can't represent a specific ride/team. Can we please focus on discussing either the ride or loosely the ride or ride related experiences. If you have an issue with any memebers of staff or there attitudes can I suggest you visit guest services and leave your feedback there thank you.

No, just stop right there. This is a place were we discuss the Smiler, the staff also make up part of that package so will also be spoken about. They have chosen to work in the public so will be reviewed like anyone else working with and in the public. If they do read this, what I'm sure they do, they should use it as constructive criticism and take on board what was been said, not as an person attack, because that's exacly what it isn't. Of course everyone knows the staff change from ride to ride, but it's generally the same staff on most people's visits on the same ride.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.
 
User avatar
JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 691
Joined: January 2012
Location: 84

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:03 am

owenrita121 wrote:
TheSmilerMan wrote:
Can I just remind other members that Alton towers staff do read these forums, they are also people and some people on the forums friend. This is not a topic to discuss people's attitudes or ride teams specifically, the people you encounter don't represent a whole team nor do the same people work on the same ride they have a number of rides they are trained on so they can't represent a specific ride/team. Can we please focus on discussing either the ride or loosely the ride or ride related experiences. If you have an issue with any memebers of staff or there attitudes can I suggest you visit guest services and leave your feedback there thank you.

No, just stop right there. This is a place were we discuss the Smiler, the staff also make up part of that package so will also be spoken about. They have chosen to work in the public so will be reviewed like anyone else working with and in the public. If they do read this, which I'm sure they do, they should use it as constructive criticism and take on board what was been said, not as an personal attack, because that's exactly what it isn't. Of course everyone knows the staff change from ride to ride, but it's generally the same staff on most people's visits on the same ride.


As he says though the experience people have had definitely doesn't represent the majority of ride staff but the way it has been spoken about will reflect on an entire team if AT management read it because no individual names are given.
This obviously isn't fair as I'm sure we can all agree that 99.9% of people who work not only on rides but also on food kiosks and stores are all incredibly friendly and can't do enough to help you.
When we criticise a ride or it's aesthetic qualities, we are insulting bits of metal and concrete, when we criticise a person, it's a dangerous area that we should probably stay away from.
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2399
Joined: June 2009

Re: The Smiler - General Discussion

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:36 pm

I'd just like to say that I've been at Towers for the past couple of days and spent the majority of my time around The Smiler.

I came across numerous different ride staff and not one of them could be said to be miserable. They were all happy, chatting with guests and seemed to be enjoying themselves while working.

A few of them also started recognising me due to how often I was riding and made the effort to talk to me which I thought was a nice touch.
Image
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 221 guests