UK theme parks from another point of view!

Do you think The Smiler has topped Nemesis?

Poll runs till Fri Dec 01, 2056 2:04 am

Yes
114 (46%)
No
71 (29%)
They are about the same
38 (15%)
Other - please describe below
26 (10%)

Total votes: 249

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Re: So has The Smiler topped Nemesis?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 pm

The smiler is an awesome ride!!

But...

On nemesis You can't beat the feeling being on the front row and coming down the first drop after the lift hill towards the queue line and feeling the Gs on that beast of a helix.

The only bit I find awesome on the smiler is the airtime you feel when your right next to the marmaliser. I must admit the sight of the smiler is awesome, the huge black track just a jangle mess...amazing.

But...

Nemesis to me is still the beast...
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:41 pm

Sam198 wrote:
The current statistics surprise me greatly... My vote was one gargantuan no.

Actually, lets look at the stats in a slightly different way. The answers here are "Yes", "No", and "About the same" - now to me "about the same" really means "No", because if they're same then surely that means The Smiler hasn't topped Nemesis?

So combining 70 for "No" and 37 for "About the same" you end up with a 107.  "Yes" is on 114 so we're pretty much at a 50/50 divide.

I think once the novelty has worn off, Nemesis will claw its way back without a problem.

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:43 pm

PeteB wrote:

So combining 70 for "No" and 37 for "About the same" you end up with a 107.  "Yes" is on 114 so we're pretty much at a 50/50 divide.

And a few of those who put other are probably no too...

I was a yes if you get front row but no if you get any other row of the train :D just to be awkward ;)

Fishfingerish
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:05 pm

I just went on I today, and as much as I enjoyed it... no

The smiler has a different feel, it is all about the "WOAH!" Emitted as you tumble through the inversions.

HOWEVER

For me, just the raw POWER of Nemesis leaves me in awe. I went on it today for the 15th time ever, and at one point found myself clinging on for dear life! (In a good way)

Oh yes, and I distinctly remember riding the Smiler, then going to Nemesis and my first words being "Now THAT'S how you do theming and landscaping"!

P.S Nice to see they're selling JW's autobiography in Buy the smiler...
Towers Times' resident Muser

Oh yes! Please check out my YouTube channel if it's not too painful:
www.youtube.com/user/hpvideosofficial

danwhit709
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 pm

I think Nemesis still holds the crown personally but the second airtime hill on The Smiler is unbelievable.

rhino18
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:33 am

It should be riding the Smiler this Saturday, but my predictions are a big NO. Nemesis has won many an award and it is a B&M. The Smiler's not.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:59 pm

I'll wait until the 2013 World coaster awards are out to see if the Smiler beat Nemesis.

Anyway if I remember in 2010 and 2011, 13 had a bigger queue than Nemesis so I give the Smiler 2 seasons to see if it can get bigger queues in the park.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smiler1103
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:17 pm

I think The Smiler has topped Nemesis for some reason.
Last edited by smiler1103 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benji
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:41 am

For me, nemesis is still king

Thanks to Lewis for the sig!

NemeJaney
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:25 pm

Although the Smiler is more complex and has a higher duration than Nemmy, I think Nemmy is still the best. Smiley does come in 2nd though :)

Jamie
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:50 pm

I enjoy The Smiler more than Nemesis, but Nemesis is still a better ride overall due to reliability - I can't see The Smiler riding well at all after 20 years.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"

Jables
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:03 pm

God no it hasn't. The Smiler's good but it will never match the thrill and intensity of Nemesis!

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:36 pm

No! Nothing can beat King Nemesis!

here_since_the_Screw
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:30 am

I just can't decide on this, and I LOVE Nemesis. I rode her when she first opened, I have been bringing friends to ride her since. I tried to bring friends to ride The Smiler and goddamn she hadn't even opened. I managed to ride The Smiler but I had to do it myself, but that's my fault because the friend I brought managed Air, (it's a bit tame!), Sub-Terra, (what was that?), Thi3teen, (you didn't tell me about that!), Rita (WOW!!!!!!!), Nemesis (Ouch - front Row),(Meh-back row), Skyride (can we have a snog now?), The Smiler (I AM NOT GOING ON THAT!!!!!!).

Personally The Smiler is amazing to look at, awesome in the queueline ( I had to stop and look because there was no queue when I went), but despite the disorientation and loops and g's and stuff it was just a bit bland. It shouldn't of been, because the ride is everything I want, but in comparison to Nemmie, not one element came close to the first twist, the full g turn, the diving through the earth loop or the cheeky lil' twist at the end. I agree, if it was a double cycle; Nemmie would beat The Smiler every time and the fact that The Smiler is so long and disorientating is amazing. BUT!!!, for all the 14 loops and theming and craziness of The Smiler not one section will ever beat Nemmie.  And I wanted it to, I really did.
Last edited by here_since_the_Screw on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamP
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:39 pm

The first time I rode The Smiler I got off and thought "WOW" that is the best coaster in the park (I also did this with Nemesis in opening week for that, although it clearly was!)

I talked about it with my girlfriend and we both agreed it was an amazing experience, odd jolt added to the experience for us. We made our way over to Nemesis (it was next on the list anyway) got a back seat and got off it and instantly said, "what were we thinking!"

It was only after riding it straight after we realised it wasn't even in the same league still much like above however much we wanted it to be. It's good but when compared to the landscape use of AIR, Nemesis and Oblivion it makes you think what makes those rides as good as they are.

Danny

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:41 pm

AdamP wrote:
The first time I rode The Smiler I got off and thought "WOW" that is the best coaster in the park (I also did this with Nemesis in opening week for that, although it clearly was!)

This feeling was likely sparked by the fact that the ride was a brand new experience [I know a plethora of my friends fell into the same category]. Thankfully, plenty of people have seen sense after making such claims :P