UK theme parks from another point of view!

Do you think The Smiler has topped Nemesis?

Poll runs till Fri Dec 01, 2056 2:04 am

Yes
114 (46%)
No
71 (29%)
They are about the same
38 (15%)
Other - please describe below
26 (10%)

Total votes: 249

Katherine
TT Member
TT Member

Re: So has The Smiler topped Nemesis?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 am

ManiaMuse wrote:
Over on American coaster forums like themeparkreview they are all moaning about things like "it's not a 14 looping coaster because it has 2 lift hills" and that it's "2 separate coasters" implying that that makes it somehow not as good.

Lol.

Reminds me of my mum who saw an advert then thought there was two rides called Smiler 1 and Smiler 2, haha.  :lol:
Last edited by Katherine on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

DontLookDown
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 am

NOTHING will ever beat Nemmy ;) xxxx
Transgender and proud :D

SuperWill
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:59 pm

I can proudly say that The Smiler (in my opinion) has topped Nemesis! The Smiler is just brilliant in everyway! I came off with a smile and I am glad that I got marmalised! I still love Nemesis but The Smiler has taken the crown away from the mighty Nemesis! The Smiler has become the new king of Alton Towers! :D

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D

XXBENNXX

Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 pm

no way. not at all. in any way. - obviously just my opinion.

ToHereKnowsWho
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:02 pm

I rode it twice yesterday (once ot the front and once at the back) and I can say that the Smiler is really awesome; relenteless and intense but Nemesis will always be the top ride at Alton, even compared to the drop on Oblivion and the launch on Rita; its pacing, setting and elements are just perfect for immense thrills.

Krazycoaster
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:25 pm

The simple answer is yes. After riding both The Smiler and Nemesis today, The Smiler is in a league of it's own. Yes, Nemesis is a fantastic inverted coaster but these days, there are lots of coasters that are better than it; the most supreme of those being The Smiler  :D

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:23 pm

So after 2.5 hours waiting, I finally got corrected.

So in answer to the Question... It is a HUGE YES!  Sorry Nemmy, you have lost your crown :-)
If you go down to the woods today

Oblividoom
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:31 pm

Whilst it's easy to get caught in the 'hype' of The Smiler, I think that you have to think about this a bit more (for a start, I think this is a pointless comparison - would you compare the Mona Lisa with Mickey Mouse and ask which one is better? No, because it's about seeing cultural change and progression). 

These two rides offer two very different experiences. The Smiler offers a modern day thrill which gets you excited, makes you giddy and seems to fulfil its name. It's a fantastic Eurofighter coaster and offers probably one of the best riding experiences I've ever been on - it certainly puts America to shame and proves that an attitude of "YEAH BIGGER TRACK TALLER YEAH MAN POWER FASTER" can't match good engineering/ I always love relishing in the fact the yanks need European engineers to build their coasters.

Nemesis offers the full thrill ride experience. It's intimidating, has an incredibly well thought out back story and immerses you in that from the moment you walk into Forbidden Valley. Not only that but the coaster itself has a purpose - it's the tentacles of the monster throwing you around, not just an awkward bit of steel in the way of the story. It's more intense, more intimidating than anything I've ever been on. I purposely went on it after The Smiler and was still a bit nervous - a different experience.

Different rides. Different experiences. Comparison invalid.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Earl
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:20 am

Oblividoom wrote:
Whilst it's easy to get caught in the 'hype' of The Smiler, I think that you have to think about this a bit more (for a start, I think this is a pointless comparison - would you compare the Mona Lisa with Mickey Mouse and ask which one is better? No, because it's about seeing cultural change and progression). 

These two rides offer two very different experiences. The Smiler offers a modern day thrill which gets you excited, makes you giddy and seems to fulfil its name. It's a fantastic Eurofighter coaster and offers probably one of the best riding experiences I've ever been on - it certainly puts America to shame and proves that an attitude of "YEAH BIGGER TRACK TALLER YEAH MAN POWER FASTER" can't match good engineering/ I always love relishing in the fact the yanks need European engineers to build their coasters.

Nemesis offers the full thrill ride experience. It's intimidating, has an incredibly well thought out back story and immerses you in that from the moment you walk into Forbidden Valley. Not only that but the coaster itself has a purpose - it's the tentacles of the monster throwing you around, not just an awkward bit of steel in the way of the story. It's more intense, more intimidating than anything I've ever been on. I purposely went on it after The Smiler and was still a bit nervous - a different experience.

Different rides. Different experiences. Comparison invalid.

I disagree completely with the above. They're both thrill rides and can easily be compared to find which is better in ones personal opinion. Ok, if you was comparing The Smiler to a Merry Go Round i could understand it wouldn't be a valid decision as they're both hugely different. Nemesis and The Smiler are as good as the same in terms of what they set out to do. Fair enough, one has more inversions than the other and one is suspended beneath the track and the other is on top, that aside they're both crazy coasters and will be compared by many over the coming years as to which is best.

My personal opinion, Nemesis has the edge still. The Smiler is great don't get me wrong, but there's something missing and i can't put my finger on it.

I'am such a huge Nemesis fan and The Smiler was the first coaster i've been on in a while that i actually thought would beat Nemesis, so after my 6 rides opening day i was quite shocked to find that it didn't! ( in my opinion ).

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 am

For all the people saying that one beats the other or what ever else there has been said...

These are 2 entirely different experiences... Nemesis is all about positive g's and that gain of speed trough the entire ride.... For these qualities I truly believe that nemesis is UNBEATABLE, However.....

For the most interesting ride experience with most different g's best airtime and overall "nonestoppingness" I have to say that The Smiler is the better ride.... I nemesis there are certain moments e.g stall turn and top of the loop where you get a moment to breathe.... With the smiler you only get 1 moment for breath and that's immediately after doing the first 7 inversions.... And I must say that  the banked drop out of the station is on par with nemesis's zero g roll for sheer intensity....

So overall yes to me the smiler has came out the overall better ride in terms of how interesting it's layout is and how it is unrelenting, but I will ALWAYS make an effort to go onto Nemesis and a trip to towers would never be complete without going on to it....

So where this was all going was.....

Who cares which is "better", better is all about perception and personality.... I'm sure whatever any people say on this topic they will always ride both and would feel like a trip wasn't worthwhile without riding both of these rides... I know I wouldn't anyway :)

Thanks for reading, and sorry it was quite that long a post :D

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

astralAndy
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:31 am

I still think some people are making the "You cant compare the 2 rides" thing into too much of a big deal. The point of this thread is simply 'which is your favorite ride overall', and the reason Nemesis was used as the ride to 'compare' to or the one to be 'beaten' is because there are so many people that say Nemesis is the best ride at the towers, or even the 'King' of the towers. Most of you already have had a favorite coaster at Alton Towers so in your opinion your favorite has 'topped' the other coasters, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just your personal opinion :D So it's just a simple question of whether you think The Smiler is your favorite overall now, if you cant decide between them or maybe Nemesis was never your favorite to start with then that's fine, just say that! But it doesn't mean there's no point in having a fun thread for people to answer the headline question, or that it's ridiculous idea for people to decide between the two rides!  :D

Love reading everyone's opinions anyway  :)
Last edited by astralAndy on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

A
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Oblividoom wrote:
for a start, I think this is a pointless comparison - would you compare the Mona Lisa with Mickey Mouse and ask which one is better? No, because it's about seeing cultural change and progression.

Hmmmm, I think you have an invalid point there..... the Mona Lisa is a tad better that Mickey Mouse and the cultural progression you're on about is over hundreds of years, not 19.

Back on topic, as I said before we won't truly know who takes the crown until a couple of years time when the hype has died down :)
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P

Oblividoom
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:56 pm

A wrote:
Back on topic, as I said before we won't truly know who takes the crown until a couple of years time when the hype has died down :)

Indeed, it was a mere point of illustration and not to be taken literally with respect.

At this point we'll probably have another Secret Weapon and you'll all be arguing which one is better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Danny

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:13 pm

After giving it some thought and further rides since it opened last Friday, I can finally say that yes, The Smiler for me has topped Nemesis.

Whilst it isn't as intense on the whole as Nemesis, The Smiler offers more for me personally. I've taken a long time to figure out why I prefer The Smiler, although I still don't think I can put my finger on the exact reason why. The contributing factors to why I prefer The Smiler include:

• The hang time on the first and final inversions.
  • The views at the top of the lift hills.
  • The headchoppers on The Marmaliser if you look for them.
  • The air time down into the knot is immense if your restraint allows it.
  • The overall length of the ride.

The whole queue line is an extra positive as well, as you can see the entire ride whilst stood underneath it. I have much more fun queuing for The Smiler, much more fun whilst riding The Smiler, and feel more satisfied upon exiting The Smiler.

To anybody that says they aren't comparable, that's a rather bizarre statement to make in my eyes. They both set out to give thrills to guests, and they both achieve that. You're not comparing either ride with something completely out of their category such as a carousel or a frog hopper. You're comparing two fantastic thrilling rollercoasters that are perfect parts in the Alton Towers ride portfolio.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:31 am

Had three goes on Nemmy and another on The Smiler today and the Smiler wins again :-)

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

So has The Smiler topped Nemesis?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:11 am

Even after 4 goes on the smiler yesterday I feel that I need to wait a while longer to form a definite opinion on this debate, that said however my initial reaction is that nemmy still wins for me.
The theming of the ride is good, but AT have missed an enormous opportunity (IMO a quick fix) in not using the character of Dr Kelman in the queue lines to entertain guests, especially in this opening period. I will express my disillusionment in seeing Gerry Canell in the red uniform in a more appropriate topic, but it seems a real waste.
The ride itself is fantastic in length, I didn't feel cheated after queuing because I feel the length and immersion of the ride justifies a wait, however I personally found it extremely painful after the vertical lift especially towards the end of the day.
Nemmy was my first proper coaster and I feel my initial decision is swayed in part by nostalgia, I look forward to visiting again in a few weeks to see how my opinion changes, if at all!

bluearmor64
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Right where to begin with the Smiler, 2 words ( bloody brill) top notch coaster.  As for being better than nemmy, I say no to that as you have got to remember that the Smller is John Wardleys last coaster and he has put a bit of all his coasters in one ride, with a bit more as for the theming on the smiler. This is the best I seen in a long time in the UK.

Now The Smiler v's the Swarm, Swarm can not touch the Smiler, don't get me wrong the Swarm is a good coaster but way too short as you are just getting into it then its over. The Smiler is a modern coaster and it does win hands down, but nemmy still gets a score 10/10 for being the first inverted coaster, plus the trees and all have grown around it, and the roar you get from the track on nemmy is great, the only thing that will beat nemmy would be a new nemmy 

3 times longer with 19 inversions, 2 left and 2 right tight cork screws before the end of the ride
and some loops indoors with a lunch into an inverted loop then up to the lift hill the cars would be stand up cars.

new name NEMESIS EXTREME

Now the Smiler in my eyes is the best new coaster so far in the last six years well done Alton towers, good job. You do know you can not build anything smaller now we will be looking and waiting for the next best thing, so keep up the good work Alton top job.

;)

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Car park G is very large and there is a lot of land behind Air....

If you take away the current opening issues, The Smiler is a brand, just like Nemesis which Merlin could install at some of their other parks. Thorpe and Chessigton wouldn't get it, but their other parks around the world could have a copy of it.

Javs
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 am

I've not ridden The Smiler yet, but I think it will take some time for people to form balanced conclusions.  We all know that when we go to watch a sequel movie at the cinema, it often feels like the best film ever, but months or years down the line, we often view it in a less bias light and a lot of the time, realise that it's predecessor is overall better.

As I say, I'm just wondering when the hype dyes down how people will really feel.  I am looking forward to coming back to the UK and having a go in September! :)

Martin
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:35 pm

I find this question really difficult to answer.
Why?
Because at the end of the day these are 2 totally different rides offering the rider different experiences.
I love Nemesis and i also love The Smiler but in different ways for the thrill that they both give me.
Every time i have visitited the park i have ridden Nemesis and all the other coasters and will contiue to do so now The Smiler has opened.
I will enjoy all of them for the thrilling different experiences that they offer.
When i first rode The Smiler i said to my partner Nemesis is no longer number 1
But having had a couple of week to reflect i should have said that The Smiler is right up there with all the other thrills available at the Towers.
Well done Alton and keep up the good work. 
BOW TIES ARE COOL!