UK theme parks from another point of view!

Do you think The Smiler has topped Nemesis?

Poll runs till Fri Dec 01, 2056 2:04 am

Yes
114 (46%)
No
71 (29%)
They are about the same
38 (15%)
Other - please describe below
26 (10%)

Total votes: 249

DaveBear
TT Member
TT Member

Re: So has The Smiler topped Nemesis?

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:02 am

Well YES/NO....

So i say about the Same.....

The Smiler the way it looks due to theme and color and wow the track and how close it is to the que line, the Smiler looks Amazing off Ride...

You do not notice it much when on ride, due to the number of twists you put through in such a short track space.

The first Half of the ride is a little more smoother than Nemesis, Nemesis does have that one or two points that throw you around more than the Smiler first half.  And Nemesis the near misses and way it twists around the valley and blood filled canyon certainly when on the ride is more intimating than the Smilers near misses, despite how close the Smiler Track is and Marmaliser you would on paper think the Smiler would better Nemesis in the head chopper and near miss factor.... but it does not.

The vertical Hill is good on the Smiler the screen and laughing adds to the tension that your only Half Way done...

The 2nd half of the Smiler is more intense and the Cobra Roll and Double Cork Screw is more intense than the Nemesis in my opinion, while your on the ride.

HOWEVER......

There us just something about the Nemesis when you come off it, well for me.... so while the Smiler Leaves you Smiling and wanting more....

The Nemesis scrambles your brain and body, well for me and when i get off i feel disorientated and need to take a break as makes me a bit giddy..... so maybe NEMESIS is the True Marmaliser....

But overall the Smiler is the more Fun ride, like how Air is a Fun Ride, but The Smiler has that added Thrill factor thrown in that Nemesis has...

Overall the Smiler is the Winner..... but is it as Intense as the Nemesis.... they are Equal to me, but the Nemesis leaves you the more disorientated when you off the ride after finishing it... while Smiler is the one to do that on the ride but you feel ok afterwards..

Then again when it comes down to Thrill Moments....

Oblivion's Drop is Still King in my books its a shame thats all the Ride offers but wow it still is Awesome, and next up has to be Rita's Launched Start...

I now imagine what if.......

The Smiler had a Launched Start up the First Hill and if the Vertical Lift Hill ended in a higher drop down a tunnel like Oblivion....

I think we would surely have the King of UK Rides then....

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:47 pm

I've voted other.

The Smiler in itself is a brilliant ride - first thing Tuesday morning it was truly amazing... last thing yesterday it was awful, ALMOST as bad as Saw:The Ride @ Thorpe Park. Rough doesn't even cut it, I was actually in pain while riding it. In total I rode it 3 times, first time front row, second time second row and last time back row. Even the second row felt rough.

Owing to this and how smooth Nemesis is in comparison, Nemesis is better, because it is a smoother ride, theming wise though it has to go to The Smiler.

DaveBear
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:
I've voted other.

The Smiler in itself is a brilliant ride - first thing Tuesday morning it was truly amazing... last thing yesterday it was awful, ALMOST as bad as Saw:The Ride @ Thorpe Park. Rough doesn't even cut it, I was actually in pain while riding it. In total I rode it 3 times, first time front row, second time second row and last time back row. Even the second row felt rough.

Owing to this and how smooth Nemesis is in comparison, Nemesis is better, because it is a smoother ride, theming wise though it has to go to The Smiler.

Thats odd as when i went on it it seemed smooth other mates on other train and one went at back and said again smooth aside from last 3 inversions.

So maybe its a case of one of the 4 Trains could be more rougher than the others and its pot luck to which train you get, as from front 2nd and 4th row it was not that major different in terms of how rough ride was.

Mattfat1
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Has anyone who voted YES started to change your mind a bit yet?

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:13 pm

Mattfat1 wrote:

no¡ the smiler is the best
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:44 am

Mattfat1 wrote:

Nope, ask me after I've done it another 20 times :-)
If you go down to the woods today

JayTricky
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:57 pm

OK, I can now post my answer.....and it's, erm.... Yes.

I can't believe I've said that. I'm a big Nemesis fan but I have the Smiler just edging it because its longer. Maybe it's because I've ridden Nemesis so many times as well...

:)

MatthewR1990
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:26 am

Mattfat1 wrote:

No. Lol. The whole Smiler experience is better than nemesis.
West Bromwich Albion until I die! I bleed blue and white.

DrCalman42
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:04 pm

Not sure, I've yet to ride The Smiler and #GetCorrected, but I imagine I'll still enjoy Nemesis more for the feeling of pure helplessness, your legs are swinging all over the place and you tuck them in to keep them from clipping the rocks.
So no, I don't think so, although The Smiler looks absolutely manic!
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.

lucy2244
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Mattfat1 wrote:

I haven't changed my mind as such, but I have started to question wether I got caught up in the hype...
This is the first coaster of which I have tracked the construction of and I think that the excitement just overwhelmed everything- especially on the day!

Nemesis is legendary, but really I think it will be a test of time to see if the smiler lasts and leaves such a big imprint as nemesis has  :)
Thanks to Lewis97 :)

Danny

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:02 pm

I certainly questioned it after I came off and thought "yep, that was amazing, total Nemesis beater!!!!11one!!!1" by the end of the day it first opened, however after further rides on it, I still stand by my verdict.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:22 pm

So, having now ridden The Smiler twice, both at the front and the back, these are my thoughts.

First of all, the debate over whether Smiler is better than Nemesis isn't even close in my opinion. Smiler is a good coaster, a very good coaster, but it simply doesn't compare to the might of Nemesis. Mostly, this comes down to how they've both been manufactured, and while I admire Gertslauer's will to improve and build bigger and better coasters, it's clear from how poorly the trains transition through those last 3 inversions, that they're still a long way off challenging the likes of B&M and Intamin.

I think the thing for me is that we're comparing a brand new shiny coaster with a ride that is now 18 years old, and that has to be taken into consideration. Given how The Smiler currently rides, and baring in mind Gertslauer's other coasters, such as Saw and Rage, I'd worry it'll ride badly in 3 or 4 years time, let alone 18.

The Smiler does a lot of things really well. Nemesis does just about everything brilliantly - and that's the difference.

That's not to say that The Smiler isn't a fantastic and much needed additional to Alton Towers' ride line-up, because it is. It has an intriguing theme that works. The Marmaliser is a totally unique piece of theming, and it looks great off-ride - especially when the 2 trains duel, but for me, Nemesis continues to be the jewel in the crown at Alton Towers.

Loop - Roller coaster and Theme Park inspired T-shirts
http://looptees.com / https://www.facebook.com/looptps

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm

It's like comparing Shambhala with Dragon Khan. DK is stronger but Shambhala is better.
The Smiler has moments where it is stronger than Nemesis, but Nemesis remains intense all the time.

The Smiler is better because it has been created to beat Nemesis, but most people prefer the perfection of The Smiler compared to the intensity of Nemesis, so it therefore depends on taste.

Something short but intense from start to finish = Nemesis

Something long, very intense moments and effects = The Smiler

I do not think that The Smiler is sharp at all, at least compared to some Spanish coasters. Although The Smiler from outside is amazing,

My ranking is.

9.8 = the smiler
9.75 = nemesis
9.70 = oblivion
9.65 = air
9.5 = superman the steel atracion
9.4 = shambhala
9.2 = batman warner
9 = dragon khan
8.9 = rock and roll coaster dlp
8.8 = abyss
8.55 = big thunder montain
8.5 = furius tobacco
8.4 = Titanide
8 = coaster express
7.8 = rita
7.5 = thirteen
7.2 = tom and jerry warner
6 = magnus colosus
Last edited by getothing on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KatP93
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Nemesis was always the ride I wanted to go on as a kid and since then it's always been my favourite. It's intense, scary and simply awesome and exilerating. Alton Towers more recent additions to the park have been pretty bad, especially in the case of 13 which they shouldnt have bothered with, and sub-terra dont get me started. However, when I saw the Smiler for the first time I knew this would be different. It looks absolutely stunning, just a mangled mess of metal with those flashes of yellow. The music is also genius as does quite literally drive you insane haha. The ride itself, well, it is simply awesome. The turn as you leave the station is unexpected, the ride is smooth and surprisingly the number of loops isnt too many for such a small area. The second lift hill is something ive never experienced before and is very well done. The sensation of this ride is very different to nemesis, it's mch smoother and more calculated as opposed to the intensity and roar of nemesis. I dont feel the two rides can be compared as they are two very different experiences, however the Smiler and Nemesis have certainly made Alton Towers at the top of the list for mid-blowing nostalgia and the future of the rollercoaster industry.

JD1991
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:44 pm

Easily.

After queuing for Smiler for nearly 3 hours a week or so back everything after seemed...boring to be honest. Nemesis was over far too soon even on the front row it didn't hold it's appeal. Funnily, Air seemed more intense than Nemmy after Smiler...maybe it's because you are on your front etc rather than standard coaster position.

Smiler for me is up there with the Incredible Hulk coaster and Duelling Dragons in Florida. If they got it so they duelled everytime rather than now and again, it'd probably beat the latter as well!
I'm Hilarious.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Ended up getting fast track for the smiler, for 3... best decision ever, got on rita, thirteen, nemesis (all front row), air and ripsaw before 12 - so managed to get on pretty much every main attraction in the day. Now on to The Smiler... it's nice to genuinely feel scared for a ride and the adrenaline starts to kick in, everyone knows what the outside of the ride looks like, but the indoors is really cool, and nice to see them put a lot effort in to it, including the exit and the shop; the ride itself was awesome, I spent most of the time laughing and not even realising what's going on missing some of the marmaliser effects, but love the ride and would love to go on it again sometime, and overall a really good addition to alton towers. only disappointment, the indoor inversion, there was no mist/smoke so was ruined a bit by the gaps which let light in.

Verdict: Nemesis is still better, only for the sheer force and the speed over a compact layout it gives you - but the smiler wins in terms of overall experience
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

Howie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:48 am

For me, no, Nemesis is still the Daddy. Had my first go on The Smiler this week and I have to say it's hilarious! Best new coaster at The Towers for a loooong time, definitely, but not quite in the same league as Nemesis for thrill factor. Sorry Smiler, close... but no cigar.

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:53 am

Sorry for the mistake of using the google translator.

After a long time I think I provide an opinion outside the hype.

You can not compare, therefore there is no winner. Nemesis is constant, if you love the intensity it is a great coaster. The smiler is perfection in intensity and fun.Neither is  better, the smiler wins because it is intense at times and smooth in others, is great, and people like it.Nemesis is intense throughout, people who like the intensity will prefer nemesis,

Team Edit to correct the English - Kirsty25
Last edited by getothing on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:57 pm

JD1991 wrote:
Easily.

After queuing for Smiler for nearly 3 hours a week or so back everything after seemed...boring to be honest. Nemesis was over far too soon even on the front row it didn't hold it's appeal. Funnily, Air seemed more intense than Nemmy after Smiler...maybe it's because you are on your front etc rather than standard coaster position.

Smiler for me is up there with the Incredible Hulk coaster and Duelling Dragons in Florida. If they got it so they duelled everytime rather than now and again, it'd probably beat the latter as well!

Incredible Hulk will be my measuring point when I get to experience The Smiler for the first time towards the end of next month!

Also agree that Duelling Dragons (or Dragon Challenge as it was known when I went for the opening of WWOHP) is the best duelling coaster I've experienced!
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure

adam.smith.58367116
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Its hard to say but after going on the smiler first it made everything else seen less thrilling but can we not just say Alton towers got two very good world beating coasters and can I just say I want to Alton towers last week and the queue line for the smiler starting to look a bit messy.