UK theme parks from another point of view!

Do you think The Smiler has topped Nemesis?

Poll runs till Fri Dec 01, 2056 2:04 am

Yes
114 (46%)
No
71 (29%)
They are about the same
38 (15%)
Other - please describe below
26 (10%)

Total votes: 249

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Re: So has The Smiler topped Nemesis?

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:50 pm

Without a doubt of my mind yes...but does it top TH13TEEN for me?

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Thrillmad wrote:

Your joking right...

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 pm

SmileyMan wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:

Your joking right...

No,I actually love TH13TEEN, it's the first ride I've ever really, thought 'this is my favourite' straight away...
And out of AT coasters I would put Nemesis third to last!

lucy2244
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:19 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
SmileyMan wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:

Your joking right...

No,I actually love TH13TEEN, it's the first ride I've ever really, thought 'this is my favourite' straight away...

Earth to Thrillmad? Are you there Thrillmad?
I thought you were mad for thrills! Not that Th13rteen isn't good but, hardly thrilling!
Thanks to Lewis97 :)

getothing
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:33 pm

I think that the smiler is more intense and more fun than nemesis, now being observed that the smiler is having a lot of popularity, the smiler is the ultimate coaster, among the best in the world. Nemesis is good, but the theming and design of the smiler you do best coaster.
Last edited by getothing on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If an inline twist, tower times team  would not hide ¡¡¡
i want to corrected now ¡

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Having ridden it for the first time today, I have no doubts it is more intense that Nemesis, that surprised me quite a bit.  It's a stunningly good ride.

I think the overall experience of the Smiler is far better, bearing in mind having that 2 decade advantage in technology available for theming, LED's / projection for example.  I loved the exit route, it was far more interesting than pre-ride imho.

However if I was to focus on the ride, for me the fact that Nemesis is so smooth and delivers a short, non-stop intense experience, that doesn't slow down right up to the breaks, it's still just the better ride.

As an attraction, The Smiler, tops it.

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:14 pm

I didn't think the smiler could top it but after my first ride yesterday it define telly does! The fact it's about twice as long as a normal coaster makes it so much better too! It is just amazing in every single way!

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:03 pm

lucy2244 wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:
SmileyMan wrote:
Thrillmad wrote:

Your joking right...

Earth to Thrillmad? Are you there Thrillmad?
I thought you were mad for thrills! Not that Th13rteen isn't good but, hardly thrilling!

I just love it with no explanation. I actually find Nemesis a beautiful ride but in my opinion, it is really not a great ride compared to some.
Last edited by Owen on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Altonmaniac231
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:59 am

Yes it has topped nemy with theming and experience  :D :D :) i still love nemy though
Xxx :D ALTON TOWERS :D xxx

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:43 pm

After riding it this morning and then going straight on Nemesis, I was convinced Nemesis was still better.  However I rode it in the afternoon and got front row.  What a game changer, so so much better riding it on the front row.

My verdict:
Front Row - Better than Nemesis
Other Row - 2nd to Nemesis

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 pm

There is no doubt I love this ride, but after this weekend/today I won't be queuing for more than 60 minutes for it.

On Sunday we queued for 45 minutes, the queue moved slow, but it was acceptable, when we got off it was 17:20 so we went for another go, it was posted as a 60 minute queue.

Well come 5:30 I have never seen the throughput on The Smiler go so quickly, this '60 minute queue' was cleared in a good 25 minutes. People were going through so quickly everyone was walking in the queue with no stopping. Anyone would think the staff wanted to go home or something... :lol:

Then today was the final straw, 120 mins advertised which turned out to be more like 150 minutes, it was too hot, no shade, no cooling (fans would be nice), no air con in the optical room.  But the queue.... well it just went soooooooooooooo slowly, I mean it was painful, I had never seen the queue go so slow. On Sunday the ride has a few 5 min break downs and the queue was going a lot quicker.

The only answer is they must have increased the number of Fast Tracks or were going at a slower speed. There were so many people going into the Fast Track queue. By the time I got to the optical room, I was at boiling point, to only get up the stairs to have queue jumpers try and get in. Thankfully they were booted out. Then when getting to go on the ride, yet again 3rd time this weekend, row bloody 4. We politely asked if we could have row 1 or 2 and a stressed member of staff said "No a chance" - great customer service isn't it... Iwould expect "I'm sorry we can't do that", "If you don't mind waiting a turn" or "Would Row 2 be ok?"

Another thing which got my t1ts this weekend was the number of pathetic people who queued in a queue for ages, got on the ride, then decided once the ride was ready they wanted to get off, then their friends wanted to get off or they wanted to swap seats. Really these people just make it worse for everyone. I know some people are scared but having to get the restraints raised, then do a full re-check adds minutes to people's queues and the more people who do it the longer the queues get.

We had a girl on Oblivion today took her shoes off and the ride ops told her to put them on. The person in the control booth said "three and a hald minutes to put your shoes on" the stupid cow not only didn't read the signs but was holding up the entire ride. You know that moment where you just wanna punch somebody? If I was a member of staff after 2 minutes I would have got her to leave the ride and send it out. You shouldn't need to have the ride controller make a PA announcement to get a member of staff to help somebody put their shoes on....

Anyway hopefully when I visit next time The Smiler will have a shorter queue.
If you go down to the woods today

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:22 am

It's a shame you had problems when you visited, unfortunately there's always going to be disruptive people at theme parks which I sympathise with as I've encountered it before too.  One of my main bugbears is when people stand just inside a queue entrance without actually deciding to go ahead and wait for the ride -most irritating :) 

Anyway, regarding the topic title, I'm not sure because both Nemesis and The Smiler are fantastic rides in different ways.  Perhaps some re-rides on each will help :)

TsungUK
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Visited a week ago, two days at the park the 2nd day we decided to go straight to the Smiler when the park opened (9am). After waiting an hour for the ride to open we all walked thro' the pit and I had maybe a 20 mins wait to get on. Personally I didn't like it, came off the ride feeling like I'd just been on the TeaCups (or any other spinning ride). It could of been a combination of tiredness, heat, waiting for 1hr 20mns but I did not enjoy this ride. Upon saying that my friends loved the ride.  Glad I didn't got on the first day, as the heat in the pit under the ride would of been unbearable (along with the 2hrs+  queues).

The Smiler is a good ride, especially if you going to the park for two days. It keeps people away from Air/Nemesis/Rita/Thirteen in the morning which means on our first day we walked straight onto those coasters :)

jodie121
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 pm

Having been on both rides today, both of which are great, it's hard to say whether The Smiler has topped Nemesis because they are different in many ways, having experienced The Smiler and getting corrected for the first time today, I think I need to ride it a few more times to come to a clear conclusion on whether it has topped Nemesis. Either way I loved riding The Smiler today and Nemesis is always a winner, for many people Nemesis is by far their favourite ride because it's been there for 20+ years and they've been able to experience it for all that time, whereas The Smiler has been open a few months, but people are already loving it. It's really hard to justify reasons on why which ride is better than the other. Can't wait to go again and ride them all again!!!!  :D :D

DrCalman42
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 pm

The Smiler is absolutely incredible, it's definitely topped Nemesis, both of which I was lucky enough to ride today. However in terms of natural theming, Nemesis wins by far.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.

SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Rode it today, not only did it top it but it blew it out of the water! Nemesis is dead! Long live the smiler!
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION

DanMcSUFC
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Okay, so I visited the park on Monday and Tuesday, and rode Air, Nemesis, and The Smiler (imo, the best 3 rollercoasters I've been on at AT) and I cannot really make a definitive comparison between them. Firstly, Air is a superb coaster which delivers a very unique experience in the riders laying vertically and giving the sensation that you are flying through the trees. Nemesis is a very intense coaster and up there with some of the best in it's sheer intensity and speed. The Smiler is very unique because it takes you round 14 inversions at quite a fast speed, whilst combining that with lots of near misses, 2 lift hills (1 vertical), lots of air time, and a very large mixture of g forces. They are 3 very unique rides, so to compare them is very difficult.

So, is The Smiler better than Nemesis and Air? I think that it has just about edged Nemesis and Air, but only just! All down to personal preference though at the end of the day - and for me, The Smiler is my new favourite coaster at Alton Towers.

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:05 pm

No still nemisis for me 2 rides 5 min q on single rider line .
And nothing fell off!!!!

lisadj
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:31 pm

They are very different, having gone on Nemesis for the first time (!) yesterday.
As a child I hated coasters, and as an adult I went once in 2000. I'm a teacher and it was a school trip so we only had an hour to do what we wanted and then had to look after bags etc. So I managed to do Oblivion.
Didn't go to Alton Towers again until 2011 because my next school took us to Drayton Manor for school trips every year.

The first year we went, Nemesis was closed. The second year, the queue was too big and it was the end of the day. Or it might've been the other way around. This year we made it, the weather was cool but it was the first day of the summer holidays after having a heatwave. It was pretty quiet, I think because people were expecting it to be busy and hot. I think we queued for 20 minutes. :)

I enjoyed it, I wasn't terrified but it was thrilling.
Oblivion I find pretty scary because of the drop, but not so bad because I am willing to go on it again.
I love Air, but it's a gentle, fun ride more than scary.
Thirteen does scare me, I'm sure the bit after the drop wasn't as dark last time I went on it!
Rita is fast and quite exhilarating but it hurts my neck and gives me a headache.
Went on Smiler yesterday and was absolutely crapping myself in the queue. Came off it, as expected - smiling. :)
It was crazy good. But I did have a feeling of impending doom while queuing under the track.
This was brought to scary reality today when the bolt dropped off.
I hope they do something about that.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 am

Nemesis still feels like a much more intense ride experience, the G force feels higher on most of the ride. The Smiler has a good pace with plenty of inversions and a good bit of airtime over the hump where the on-ride photo is. But Nemesis is still the far better coaster, The Smiler throws you out of some of the elements and you can get quite a headache.

Nemesis is 19 years old and still feels as smooth as my first ride on it over 10 years ago, will The Smiler even be working in 19 years time?