UK theme parks from another point of view!

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Messages for John Wardley

Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 pm

As I'm sure you are all aware The Smiler is set to be John Wardley's last coaster before he retires. We know that he reads these forums so if you would like to leave John a message (we can't guarantee he'll read it but there's a good chance) here is the place to do it.

No discussions or questions please.

Th13TEENGUY
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Messages for John Wardley

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks for everything jon enjoy your retirement  :D
LCFC til i die

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks john,without you,A lot of what Alton Towers have now wouldn't be the same without you, and also a few other parks would have gone down the pan. Will be sad to have a Towers coaster you didn't help out on.

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Thank You John, You haven't just made amazing coasters for us enthusiasts but you have inspired many into becoming a roller coaster designer and you have shown us what goes into a coaster.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:01 pm

So John, as you reach the brake run of your career, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for proving to the UK that an immersive ride experience is just as equally important as the track itself. Some may say your legacy will be Nemesis, Oblivion or even your final project The Smiler, but in my opinion, you will be remembered for the impact you have had in rejuvenating the theme park industry over the years.

If this was your final performance in the theatre, I'd give you a standing ovation.

Alex.D
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:11 pm

THANK YOU! For all your amazing innovative designs, like Nemesis and Oblivion. My personal faves at AT! The way you got around the restrictions has made your rollercoasters world class thrill machines! As you hit the last break run, slow down slowly. Not a sharp break like colossus! Enjoy your retirement and don't forget to check on towers every few months to make sure they are still doing everything right and carrying on your legacy! :) 
THE SWARM, oblivion,air,colossus.all epic.:D
^Made by Lewis97

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:57 pm

Ah good call!

Thanks for helping in creating some incredible rides and entire parks.

In your book you kind of joke that, maybe now what you do “doesn’t seem so fatuitous” and I appreciate your humility but going to good themepark is probably the best day out you can have without actually entering some other crazy dimension. Dark rides are especially significant to me and I know your involvement was heavy in my favourite ones. When I went on the Fifth Dimension when I was 5, I loved it so much that I would not stop talking about it. I loved the smoke, the smell, the warning signs, the hazard lines, the animatronic robots, the lasers, the strobes – It had what I’ve tried to call “cyber majesty”. Tomb Blaster was also amazing before it was changed. People don’t seem to remember the snakes that popped up at you, or the way green beams shone from the gem and also the illusion near the end of the ride where Abdab appears as a ghost with lasers shining out from the holes in his body! It’s my feeling that you implicated all these effects from your knowledge of theatre. Also that ride system is amazing, which I know you designed. I don’t know if they’re much cop to you but my ideas that I put on my blog is me trying to give something back and trying to develop and carry on what you have started because I don’t see any who actually get the whole drama-theatre-illusion-magic-“robotism” of dark rides.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Thank you, God 8)

SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Dear John

I hated rollercoasters, the idea of them scared me so much. Then I went on alton towers rollercoasters, your baby's  and now you can class me as a nerd! From 13 to nemesis, thanks for the ride (if you will pardon the pun).
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION

Tom.B

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:28 pm

I think everybody's said what I basically want to say! I'll be sad to see you go. You leaving roller coasters will be like when Russel T Davis left Doctor Who.  :(

Goodbye  :( :( :( :( :(

Heisenberg96
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:58 pm

John, I can't thank you enough for all you've provided us with.

You built the foundations of the Alton Towers we have today. If it wasn't for the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion, we wouldn't have the magical theme park we have today. You've always been consistent and committed to your work, as we've seen with The Smiler, and we all respect you a hell of a lot for it. You've had every coaster enthusiasts dream job, and honestly I can't pick out one thing you've done wrong. Long live Alton Towers and everything you've given it!

I'm sure you can retire happily knowing you've had a career of success, if only I could get a job like yours...a real inspiration to all at TTF! You might have stopped making rides now but what you made will never be forgotten!

Wishing all the best for your future,
Pete (or if you've seen Breaking Bad...just call me Heisenberg :) )

p.s. Merlin better continue your legacy or they'll have TTF to deal with!

RAFFATOWERS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:13 pm

Thank you for many years of enjoyment, such a great innovator, you will be missed, have a good retirement.:)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Thank you for the work you did at Chessington and Alton Towers if it wasn't for you I don't think Chessington would be here today and for all the top rides you brought to Alton Towers pity the Haunted House isnt the same ride.

AltonThorpe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:55 pm

John,

you have helped make me the person I am today (no...seriously!) and you brought fun into my childhood. Thank you very much for all your hard work and bringing smiles to the coaster enthusiasts all over the world!
England 38-21 New Zealand - 1st December 2012

Twickenham Stadium

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:02 pm

Thanks John for the many years of exhilaration and magic, from my teens to my adolescence I've had so much fun riding your creations. Enjoy your retirement.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc