UK theme parks from another point of view!

DrCalman42
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Are Alton Towers running out of world first's?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:23 am

Hi guys, I've been looking at some of the Resort's most recent arrivals, and I personally can't think of many other "world first" features. I'll run a few of them by you:
Oblivion (1998): World's first vertical drop coaster (88.8 degrees or the train would lose grip and come off the track.)
Air (2002): World's first flying coaster. (Air actually stands for Aerial Inversion Ride.)
Th13teen (2010): World's first freefall drop coaster.

So, a pretty impressive arsenal of world first Secret Weapons, but I'm wondering how long they can keep it up. However, after trawling through the forums and found an idea for the first inversion within a water ride.
Not sure how that'd work, but...
Apologies if a similar topic exists anywhere else on here.
Ciao!
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.

Don't_Look_Down
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Are Alton Towers running out of world first's?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:20 am

I hope so! Alton Towers have too many gimmicky rides with intricate working systems. There's always a possible risk of high downtime.
Oblivion beckons in T-minus five minutes, be prepared for embarkation!

Eat, sleep, Apocalypse!

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:24 am

Personally I think you should look back at the 800 pages of speculation in the smiler forum :D

The number I worlds first elements that were speculated were actually insane :D

Here's a list of the few I can remember :D

-Washing machine (track rotates as if in a heartline roll but with no forward motion)
-Vertical Launch
-4D effects on the train
-Spiralling lift hill

And many more.... There is an infinite amount of possibilities with rollercoasters.... And when you start to get into things like "first (wing rider/standup/flying/vertical drop) with XYZ and ABC elements"... Well the possibilities are endless

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

A
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:15 am

^Spiraling lift hill and 4d ain't world firsts. There are many world firsts that are still to be done but I wish they would just stop with them and focus on making a good ride because they're only going to get more gimmicky. There are a few that I would like to see alton have though including;

World first stand up woodie
Most inversions on a woodie
Worlds steepest water coaster
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example :P

DrCalman42
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:46 am

[quote="Phild94"]
Personally I think you should look back at the 800 pages of speculation in the smiler forum :D

Sorry, I'm new to this forum, probably should've checked before posting. I was just referring to how they've done so many things with drops and such like; will they be able to come up with something to rival their other WF rides.
Thanks for the pointer, though.
This ride is perfectly safe. Everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment.

Phild94
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:50 am

DrCalman42 wrote:
Phild94 wrote:

Sorry, I'm new to this forum, probably should've checked before posting. I was just referring to how they've done so many things with drops and such like; will they be able to come up with something to rival their other WF rides.

Well we never thought we'd get something even comparable to Nemesis so anything is possible :D

An it was a light hearted comment haha :) the smileys on here are relatively non descriptive of emotions :D so I apologise for any offence taken :)
Last edited by Phild94 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Credit to Lewis97 for the fantastic signature :D

DrCalman42
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:29 pm

Phild94 wrote:
DrCalman42 wrote:
Phild94 wrote:

Well we never thought we'd get something even comparable to Nemesis so anything is possible :D

An it was a light hearted comment haha :) the smileys on here are relatively non descriptive of emotions :D so I apologise for any offence taken :)

Haha, absolutely none taken! I really hope the rumours about Nemesis possibly being replaced aren't true. Although I suppose, if they are, there'd be a lot of strong opposition! Which rollercoaster do you think AT are most likely to replace next, though?

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:29 pm

No. If anything, being in the habbit of creating worlds first elemants should give way to even better worlds first elemants. I understand why you'd think that, sometimes it seems like creativity is going to run out but what actually happens is new technology is built on the shoulders of old technology and this way technology (including themepark technology) just keeps getting better.

I love these gimmicks, infact the word 'gimmick' is a real injustice.
If you took out the hole from Oblivion, the drop from Th13teen, the flying position from Air - these rides become plain... and if I'm in a park where I know exactly what I'm getting cause its plain - I'm not escaping.
A gimmick is like a spinning bowtie for comedian- that is a gimmick -but these plot-twists are true inventive steps. They are designed, developed, prototyped, patents are written and a new technology is born that is deemed officialy safe for the public - that's incredible and that, is the level of creativity I expect in a themepark.
Last edited by TheOutpatient on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/

SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

DrCalman42 wrote:
Air (2002): World's first flying coaster. (Air actually stands for Aerial Inversion Ride.)

Apparently not a World's first... (taken from Wiki) 'The world's first flying roller coaster is reported as being Air, Alton Towers but it is in fact Skytrak Total, built in Manchester, United Kingdom at the Granada Studios Tour in 1997. The Skytrak used a single-passenger car. Riders would climb into the car in much the same fashion as climbing a ladder, then the car would be raised up to the track before being dispatched. The single-passenger design kept the ride's capacity low, at only 240 riders per hour. The park, and Skytrak itself, were short-lived, both closing in 1998, but nevertheless the ride was the first of its kind'
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure

DrCalman42
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:46 pm

TheOutpatient wrote:
No. If anything, being in the habbit of creating worlds first elemants should give way to even better worlds first elements.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'better' world first elements, do you mean like an Oblivion-style coaster, but you're facing up as you drop? Actually, that's a pretty cool idea! 8)

DrCalman42
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

SmilingMonkey wrote:
DrCalman42 wrote:

Riders would climb into the car in much the same fashion as climbing a ladder, then the car would be raised up to the track before being dispatched.

I'd love AT to incorporate that somewhere, the different way of boarding the ride, simply getting into a normal seat is getting somewhat tedious. That's why I love Air and I'd probably love Skytrak Total. Is it still open? :?

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm

it's not open anymore... think i read somewhere it was in like a movie studio attraction place and has closed down?
Image 2014

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I think at the pace the industry is moving, world firsts don't mean a thing any more. How long did Oblivion hold its exclusivity for? Years right?
Nowadays even if B&M signed an exclusivity agreement, it'd be a matter of weeks before Intamin or someone came along with their own version. And then weeks later an American park would snap it straight up.

To me there was something very suspicious around The Smiler's development. Something drastic obviously changed mid way through planning, why else did the theme of chrome DNA strands get completely dropped. I think it was supposed to have a real worlds first all along, but it got dropped, because they realised it just wasn't that important. Maybe they couldn't get an exclusivity agreement perhaps? Of course by this point the over zealous marketing department had already promised a worlds first. 
Thats just what I speculate anyway...

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 pm

DrCalman42 wrote:
SmilingMonkey wrote:
DrCalman42 wrote:

Riders would climb into the car in much the same fashion as climbing a ladder, then the car would be raised up to the track before being dispatched.

I'd love AT to incorporate that somewhere, the different way of boarding the ride, simply getting into a normal seat is getting somewhat tedious. That's why I love Air and I'd probably love Skytrak Total. Is it still open? :?

No Skytrack isn't still open, as mentioned above it closed about a year after opening.
But if you want something similar to the way you board the ride then Hero at Flamingo land should be pretty much the same when it opens.

SmilingMonkey
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:01 pm

DrCalman42 wrote:
SmilingMonkey wrote:
DrCalman42 wrote:

I love Air for this reason too! And loved Manta in Seaworld for this as well. So much cooler than your standard get on sit down off you go!

Would love to see a standing coaster at AT (obviously not a World's First, unless they make it wooden)
Alton Towers, Animal Kingdom (WDW), Blizard Beach (WDW), Chessington World of Adventures, Epcot (WDW), Hollywood Studios (WDW), Legoland, Magic Kingdom (WDW), PortAventura, Seaworld (Orlando), Thorpe Park, Typhoon Lagoon (WDW), Universal Studios and Universal Islands of Adventure

TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:19 pm

DrCalman42 wrote:
TheOutpatient wrote:
No. If anything, being in the habbit of creating worlds first elemants should give way to even better worlds first elements.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'better' world first elements, do you mean like an Oblivion-style coaster, but you're facing up as you drop? Actually, that's a pretty cool idea! 8)

Yes - see how you just took existing technology and then added yet another creative twist to it? - thats what I mean, it just keeps getting better rather than running out of ideas. That's what happens in technology.
Please visit my blog of original dark ride ideas: http://mattsdesignsblog.wordpress.com/