UK theme parks from another point of view!

george2v
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

I need Nemesis and The Smiler Experts!

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 pm

When I start Sixth Form in September, I will have the opportunity to begin an Extended Project. I have chosen to do a 5,000 word essay on anything of my choice and have decided that doing an essay on how roller coasters have evolved over the years would be a good one. Thus, I decided to do a 'comparison' essay between Nemesis and The Smiler, both of which were designed by Mr John Wardley, almost 20 years apart.
I have incorporated different aspects into the plan. I want to ride 500 words on each of the following sections for each roller coaster before doing a short comparative commentary at the end:
- Introduction
- Science/Physics
- Business
- Psychological
- Marketing
I don't particularly want to do it in that order but they're the 5 parts I'm going to write for each ride. But the thing is, I want to put top quality information in there. So I thought you beautiful people may be able to help me! Have you got any information or ideas that I should include in my extended project? Any fascinating facts or advice on what I could include?
I would really appreciate the help! Many thanks! :D

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Re: I need Nemesis and The Smiler Experts!

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Psychological,most coasters back when nemesis was built most of the time they were designed to put physical force, (nemesis 4.5 g's), on the body but ever since the era of Oblivion coasters have not only been focused around physical effects (the loops on the smiler), but on psychological effects like, seeing the track,creating fear,excitement, a whole concoction of emotions, having special effects,being told things like 'you are about to embark on an optical procedure' or even silly little things like being able to see the track everywhere in the queue.
Marketing also comes in handy, but off course that's another section.

I've done and SA on all the SW's if you want to send me a PM and get a bit more out of me!  ;)

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:25 pm

george2v wrote:
- Introduction
- Science/Physics
- Business
- Psychological
- Marketing

Well, I will start with the science/physics: they both use what Sir Isaac Newton discovered...GRAVITY as well as Positive/Negative G's :D

Psychological: Nemesis uses the fear of being in a crater in the ground to create an atmosphere more of fear were as Smiler uses Joy (the average public don't tend to know the theme) against you, giving you fear of permanent euphoria :moj

Marketing: From what I have seen, the Nemesis ads/campaigns concentrated more on the theme of the ride were as The Smiler's campaign's were more about the worlds first 14 loop coaster, not sticking with the theme that originated with the scare maze directly linked with The Smiler's :D
Intro to the ride? I am guessing that is what it is...not my place to say, not an expert on that subject, sorry...

Business: Again, not my cup of tea, but Nemesis had a budget of £10.000.000 and manufactured by Bolliger and Mabillard, where as The Smiler had a budget of £18.000,000 and was Manufactured by Gerstlauer ( I think I spelled that right :lol:)

I hope that I was of some use, and good luck :D

AndreJD
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:07 pm

If it was me I'd spend a bit talking about the technology as well. Vertical lifts, magnetic breaks, scenery that can interact with the track, the restraint mechanisms, the engineering that can put such a huge roller coaster in such a small space, how it's quieter to gain planning consent etc.

george2v
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Does anybody have any contact details of people who will be useful to interview about either ride? I have John Wardley's email address, but anybody else?

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 am

Candy Holland? She wasn't there for Nemmy but had a very high role for the Smiler.
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!

george2v
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:27 am

iBacon wrote:
Candy Holland? She wasn't there for Nemmy but had a very high role for the Smiler.

Have you got any contact details?

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:38 am

george2v wrote:
iBacon wrote:

Have you got any contact details?

No, sorry however she is Merlin' s Creative Director so maybe you could write to them and get in touch that way.
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
Psychological,most coasters back when nemesis was built most of the time they were designed to put physical force, (nemesis 4.5 g's), on the body but ever since the era of Oblivion coasters have not only been focused around physical effects (the loops on the smiler), but on psychological effects like, seeing the track,creating fear,excitement, a whole concoction of emotions, having special effects,being told things like 'you are about to embark on an optical procedure' or even silly little things like being able to see the track everywhere in the queue.
Marketing also comes in handy, but off course that's another section.

I've done and SA on all the SW's if you want to send me a PM and get a bit more out of me!  ;)

I'd say that concept very much existed during Nemesis' development. In fact, it was one of the main design aspects of the ride. You only need look as far as an interview with Wardley from the period to deduce that much! :)