UK theme parks from another point of view!

Should Alton Towers stay open until 9pm during the summer?

Poll runs till Sun Apr 15, 2057 6:43 pm

Yes
92 (84%)
No
17 (16%)

Total votes: 109

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Should Alton Towers stay open until 9pm during the Summer?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:04 am

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Maybe they could do a Disney and have extra hours for Annual pass members and Hotel guests only. The queues still closes normal time but you have to show your pass or room key at the ride entrance at selected rides. They could keep Mutiny Bay,Adventure land and old mcdonalds farm and attractions open for a extra hour. It also draws all guests nearer to the front of the park.

They already do. It's Early Ride Time from 9am-10am :lol:

Disney is different from what I understand. They want people to stay longer because they have the evening facilities to entertain, feed and generate revenue from the people. Alton Towers hasn't yet managed to get itself that kind of evening resort, although it has the potential to do so.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Sorry but why are we differating to Disney? They have the money, facility's and I'm guessing a tad less restrictions like Alton do...let alone the weather :(
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

percy.shaw.35
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:13 pm

First post on here as a new Merlin member. Hello all!  I should imagine the local residents around the park would have something to say as well, presumably the council would have to give permission which could be very difficult. The locals must heave a sigh of relief when we have all gone home in the summer.... extending/delaying the traffic chaos would be very unpopular on what are, lets face it, baldy equipped roads at the best of times.

Not saying I wouldn't welcome it as someone who needs to travel a couple of hours each way to visit the park... just a point no one else had mentioned!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:55 pm

The thing is it would cost too much to keep it open till 9pm and the locals would hate it. Another thing to note Thorpe park do not stay open until 9pm the only rides included in there 9pm close are vortex and depth charge. As for Alton towers introducing a summer night thing like Thorpe it wouldn't work. Thorpe have done it to up crash pad numbers and appeal more to the teenage audience. Its definitely not a massive money maker.
Alton towers would suffer more than it would gain. The number of  noise complaints would be far too much to justify.
In just 1 day I managed: 75 rides on stealth, 8 swarms, the dodgems and a tea cups. February half term was good.

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:10 pm

No just...NO! It will cost them too much money and just put the staff in a foul mood, what's worse is that it will take away the magic of Scarefest. Worse case senario - they permenantly discontinue Scarefest because it has lost the only thing that makes it special.
I was going to have a pic of Hobs Pit but I forgot how to make pics show up :(

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Count-Vonduel wrote:
No just...NO! It will cost them too much money and just put the staff in a foul mood, what's worse is that it will take away the magic of Scarefest. Worse case senario - they permenantly discontinue Scarefest because it has lost the only thing that makes it special.

Scarefest isn't just about the late closing, it's about atmosphere and the scare attractions for a start. As for the staff, alton towers would just have a shift pattern, they wouldn't make them do 12 hour shifts :lol:

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Port Adventura is open 10am-12am and that doesnt seem to be doing too bad so if AT had the demand I dont see why it isnt possible

Gizmo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:14 am

Lee James wrote:
Count-Vonduel wrote:

Scarefest isn't just about the late closing, it's about atmosphere and the scare attractions for a start. As for the staff, alton towers would just have a shift pattern, they wouldn't make them do 12 hour shifts :lol:

As someone from there l can tell you it's not shift work at Towers. I know that during Scarefest I'm going to be there from 9am to 9-10pm, so if they kept the park open until 9pm during the summer, the staff would indeed be there all day.
Just to clarify ;)

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 am

Gizmo wrote:
Lee James wrote:
Count-Vonduel wrote:

As someone from there l can tell you it's not shift work at Towers. I know that during Scarefest I'm going to be there from 9am to 9-10pm, so if they kept the park open until 9pm during the summer, the staff would indeed be there all day.
Just to clarify ;)

But scarefest is a short end of season event. Towers know you all want the extra money before the seaosn ends ;)

If however they were to open for July August until 9pm, they would have to create shift patterns. It's not plausible to expect your staff to work 12 hour shifts 5 days a week for such an elongated time. If they did do that, paperwork and Health and Safety process would be the first to slip, and that would worry me considerably.

Port Adventura is open 10am-12am and that doesnt seem to be doing too bad so if AT had the demand I dont see why it isnt possible.

PA is a different ballgame altogether though. It's not in the middle of the countryside with noise issues for a start, and it also has being a holiday destination (both as a theme park resort, and the local area) on its side.

Gizmo
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 am

But then they'd have to hire in extra staff, and I would all be a big kerfuffle! XD

the smiler :-)
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:07 pm

SuperWill wrote:
Thanks for posting this topic and poll on my behalf! Anyway if anyone is against the early closing times during Summer then you should click this link and like their Facebook page which is against the early closing times during Summer! Here is the link :

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition- ... ts&fref=ts

'my page and thank you for sharing it!! :D

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 pm

At the end of the day it all comes down to supply and demand, I don't believe there is the demand for late openings.

I believe Alton could have a lot more success with the 9-10 ERT by adding additional coasters on to it, even if they charged a little extra, guests would pay it to get in earlier and do a few more rides.

Due to Alton's location and many guests having to travel long distances, many would never get there early enough.

Looking at the park and the huge size of it, if they were to open any part of it late, then FV would be obvious choice as it is next to the hotels and car parks so they can shut down the rest of the park and keep the guests there. You have two decent coasters, two flats and Sub Terra/Duel if they wanted. But this would be a failure as many guests would want to ride the Smiler, which would mean X sector with Oblivioin, The Smiler, Submission and Enterprise. Good selection of rides, but nowhere near the car parks, and would they have a monorail service on or not?
If you go down to the woods today

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:50 pm

There is more of a problem here than at other parks. Alton Towers is HUGE, and therefore takes a long time for security to check the whole park for any visiors trying to stay in the park for the night. When I went last year, I went with RCCGB and we had an event in the park after it closed, and I noticed a security guard with 2 girls who had tried to hide somewhere in the park.

bluearmor64
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:36 pm

I would say not 9pm /7.30pm would be better than 9pm as family's leave with there younger kids
mid teens 20/30 folk and older folk get one and a half hours more time with less q times 

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 pm

9pm at this time of year is out of the question. Like tonight sunset in Birmingham is 20:02. So the park would have to hire lighting.
6pm queue line close is good enough. The only way a later closing time would work is say rides close at 7pm and the Smiler had a 2 hr queue then they would close the queue at 5pm and if they empty the queue before closing time reopen it to guests around X sector at the time.

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 pm

It's open til 7pm this weekend.

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:02 pm

sully1311 wrote:
It's open til 7pm this weekend.
WOOT. And I happen to be going then! This is the only weekend in the whole year that it stays open this late (with no type of event). It shows Alton are trying to accomodate more guests and all that stuffs... Im going both days this weekend.  :D :moj

lothos
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:27 pm

I think this topic is showing the age of a lot of the posters on this forum :D

Back in the mid-90s the park was open till around 8/9pm during the summer months, and they did indeed use generator powered flood lights to light areas that were a bit more remote, such as the pathway from Gloomy Wood to Forbidden Valley. It was good fun, if not a bit chilly.

Chessington used to do exactly the same thing.

But I guess in these austere times it's less financially viable, which is a shame, but I would disagree that Disney are able to do it solely cos of the weather advantages, they have the goods that people are willing to stay late for, and I say this as someone who has witnessed thousands of people sit in torrential rain for an hour in the hope that Fantasmic wouldn't be cancelled.

Dara
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:03 pm

I think Alton Towers should experiment with doing what Oakwood do in the summer and stay open till 10pm on selected nights only and make an event of it. Closing late with no event wouldn't work but at Oakwood they shut at 10pm every Wednesday and Saturday and have live music and fireworks on these nights. The other days they close at 6pm and the late nights are notably busier. If they stayed open till 10pm every night of the week it wouldn't work, but doing it on just 2 nights a week makes it more of an event and therefore worthwhile.

I don't really understand how the Ropers keep getting all these cases through. Legally they can make as much noise as they like before 11pm. It's important to keep the locals on side, I agree. However, the popularity of Oakwood's late nigths proves that there is call for it if managed correctly.

bryanycroft
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes! I always have to buy fast tracks to get on all the rides which is a pain. But if they stayed open later and charged more for tickets it would relax the day, rather than running round to get on everything.