UK theme parks from another point of view!

Hari
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Is The Smiler as head banging as SAW: The Ride at Thorpe Park?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:12 pm

I just wanted to know because I find SAW really rough... :/
NR

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 pm

I've never ridden SAW so I'm probably not the best person to listen to, but I only find The Smiler rough in a couple of places, and they're more jolty than rough.

On the whole I find it fairly smooth (nowhere near B&M smooth but smooth enough)

There is an issue with one of the trains being considerably rougher than the others, and thankfully i've only had 1 ride on this train, but if you manage to avoid this one I think you'll be ok.

Martin
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is The Smiler as head banging as SAW: The Ride at Thorpe Park?

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:33 pm

I went Thorpe Park last week and rode SAW for the very first time
On the first day it was the first ride of the day and wasnt particularly rough
Was advised by a few people on the forum to do so
Thank god they did because when we went back on later in the day and the 2 times we went on it was dog rough.
Now i have also rode the Smiler 3 times so far and not found it to be particularly rough.
A bit jolty in places but not really head banging like Saw.
Now Saw is over 3 years old and made by the same manufacturer so what will the Smiler be like to ride in 3 years time
My guess is probably dead rough like Saw
Although The Smiler does have the new style Eurofighter carriges.
Will this make a difference...who knnows
Guess we will have to wait and see.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!

Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:38 pm

My genuine thought is not quite but not far off. I was on the dodgy car, one of the last cars off the day on the smiler, and came off with headache and feeling sick for the first time ever while riding a coaster.

addis
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I've ridden Smiler twice now and, although rougher in places than Nemesis, it isn't too bad. I'd be interested to know which number car is supposed to be the rough one?

opulentrich
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:17 pm

In my opinion no - not at all. Saw is a rough ride and I can only face 1 ride each time I visit Thorpe Park (3 times this year). The Smiler is much much smoother and the only reason I haven't ridden it more that twice so far is purely down to queue times.

Danny

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:26 pm

I believe train 3 or 5 is the rough one. However no matter which train you find yourself on, the exit to the cobra roll will always be vile. It's now possible to visually spot the jolt that occurs from off ride during this section.

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:21 am

Personally, I think it's pretty close, especially if you sit towards the back of the train.  It's pretty jolty in most places during the ride but I've found that if you keep your head back and hold onto the restraint handles, it helps a little.

On the flipside, the front row is nice and smooth :D

JAMMYD777
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:46 pm

Having ridden Saw just last night, I can assure you that even the roughest train of The Smiler (train 3) is still smoother than Saw. Aside from the exit of the cobra roll and one or two other spots, The Smiler is remarkably smooth. It just depends on which train you get which determines the level of vibration you get throughout the ride with train 3 obviously being the worst.

Saw is simply head banging central but strangely no vibrations. I certainly prefer the vibrations and one or two jolts of The Smiler, even train 3, when compared to the head banging, headache inducing rides I have had on Saw.

Then again, different people may have different opinions.

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:48 pm

I too rode SAW last night (Hey JAMMYD777) and the jolt from the main drop is HIDEOUS. We all looked at each other and were like WTF was that. I have riden SAW over 100 times and that was the worst its ever been. WAY worse than the jolt on THE SMILER. That jolt is ok, and if you brace, you barely notice it! THE SMILER is a very smooth ride generally with the odd shake here and there, but that is to be expected with such a troublesome ride.

You can really tell the track for SAW was built in 27 days.

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:24 pm

It's a different beast, it's more intense and your changing direction before you get a chance to get your bearings.  The first half is quite smooth, the second half is worse, especially the final section after the camel back with fantastic air time.  It's just a little bit juddery right at the end, I just hope it doesn't age as badly as Saw has.

Hari
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Thankyou for all your replies! :) I just want to know, is there a front row queue line? I really want to ride on the front :)
NR

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Hari wrote:
Thankyou for all your replies! :) I just want to know, is there a front row queue line? I really want to ride on the front :)

No. You are assigned a row by the ride host. I've heard of people asking the ride host to see if they can wait for it, but is entirely ride host dependant.

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Just want to say!
Since riding it in July, when me and my girlfriend talk about AT or the simler now, she ALWAYS mentions how comfortable she found the smiler seats/restraints! Haha :lol:

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:37 pm

One way to get to the front and it may not always work is when you are getting batched up, count the number of people and the rows they are going to go into. If you see that you are heading for row 4, make an excuse to left up to 4 people in front of you, tie up your shoes or something... it may work

But there should be a front row queue for the Smiler IMO
If you go down to the woods today

Hari
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:40 pm

Wilson10 wrote:
Now Saw is over 3 years old and made by the same manufacturer so what will the Smiler be like to ride in 3 years time

Saw was rough to begin with, I went on it in 2009 and it was still as headbanging as it is today... :/
NR

SmileyMan
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:54 pm

Hari wrote:
Wilson10 wrote:

Saw was rough to begin with, I went on it in 2009 and it was still as headbanging as it is today... :/

The first jolt is worse now. As a whole, yes it is very rattly, and no where near as smooth as The Smiler.

Hari
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 am

Ok, thankyou :)
NR

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:15 am

While both are pretty appalling, I'm going to have to go against the general consensus and say that while I don't necessarily find the Smiler rougher than Saw, I certainly find it infinitely more uncomfortable and less enjoyable to ride.

As far as mechanical smoothness on the majority of the Smiler's trains is concerned, there admittedly isn't a huge amount of rattling or that odd 'shuffling' motion experienced on Saw (presumably as a result of the change in weight distribution over the wheel bogies brought with the new train design. This is something I'm keen to monitor over the coming months/years). However, the nature of the layout and the radical, tight profiling that Werner had to use to bring it to life render the physical ride quality atrocious. That's even without regarding the inexcusable and horridly violent jolts on both the first inverted drop and the exit of the cobra roll.

While I'm the first to admit that Saw has some serious roughness issues, its drawn out layout and shallow, subtle transitions allow for a ride with just enough time and space to properly brace for each element - Something that is practically impossible on its younger sister (which is more a case of clenching your entire body throughout the ride and incessantly praying for for it to end).

Generally, people must remember that it's not always mechanical faults that make for a violent coaster. Botched/poor transitions and bad profiling/heartlining are almost always to blame for severe headbanging. Max Adventures Master Thai proves that better than any other coaster I've ever encountered.

Please, feel free to ignore me. I'm just jaded. :drunk:
Last edited by Sam198 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LCFCjames
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:46 pm

I have been on Saw numerous times and never really found it rough at all. Some of the inversions are a bit uncomfortable but I wouldn't call it rough. Similarly, for me, I find the smiler extremely smooth. I have been on it twice now, once on the back row and once on the front row. Both times I have had my hands up all the way round and I didn't get banged against the harness once. It's probably one of the more comfortable rides that I have been on, especially with all the awesome air time. :D