UK theme parks from another point of view!

C0RR3CTED1
TT Member
TT Member

Re: CBeebies Land 2014 - General Discussion

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:38 am

TomL wrote:
C0RR3CTED1  wrote:
No, teletubbies is not a good shout. I watched the teletubbies when I was a kid and i'm now 20! Kids of today aren't going to know who they are. I'm sure all the characters incorporated will be current and relevant to youngsters today.  I just hope the place isn't too tacky!

Teletubbies is still aired. It is one of my 4yr old cousins favorite programmes alongside charlie and lola and fif and the flower tots

Fair enough, i'm not up to date with today's shows  :) I think i'm mostly just resenting the fact that it's the end of the farmyard! Loved that area when I was little and my earliest AT memories involved it. Like Jack said I like AT's own themed areas and although I can see Cbeebies land being popular I can see the feel of it being tacky in my eyes  :(

Martin
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:30 pm

When I was a child, many moons ago now, some of my favourite shows were things like Thunderbirds, He Man Masters Of The Universe, Thundercats and Terahawks. The list could go on. I would have loved a place I could go to and see my favourite characters come to life and interact with them. That's why I think CBeebies Land can only be a good thing for kids at Alton Towers.

To the best of my knowledge as I don't have children. The only other place in the country to do such a thing is Thomas Land at Drayton Manor Park, and from what I have read, this is a massive success for DMP. If Alton/Merlin and the BBC grab this for the opportunity that it is, then I am sure it will be a great addition to the park for the kids.

Even though like I said I don't have children, I will be looking forward to further developments and news regarding the project. When CBeebies Land opens I will definitely be having a wander round and hopefully will have a big smile on my face for a job well done.
Last edited by Martin on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!

sku11dude123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:19 pm

I also wonder how they will use this as a new Hotel room..

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Wilson10 wrote:
When I was a child, many moons ago now, some of my favourite shows were things like Thunderbirds, He Man Masters Of The Universe, Thundercats and Terahawks. The list could go on. I would have loved a place I could go to and see my favourite characters come to life and interact with them. That's why I think CBeebies Land can only be a good thing for kids at Alton Towers.

To the best of my knowledge as I don't have children. The only other place in the country to do such a thing is Thomas Land at Drayton Manor Park, and from what I have read, this is a massive success for DMP. If Alton/Merlin and the BBC grab this for the opportunity that it is, then I am sure it will be a great addition to the park for the kids.

Even though like I said I don't have children, I will be looking forward to further developments and news regarding the project. When CBeebies Land opens I will definitely be having a wander round and hopefully will have a big smile on my face for a job well done.

The pre school programmes we used to watch were Bagpuss, Play school, Rainbow and look and read with Wordie.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:14 am

As the deal is with BBC WorldWide it is likely that the only shows featured in the new area will be those solely owned by or produced for the BBC.

Stuff like Bob The Builder is owned by HIT not BBC - so is far more likely to turn up at Thomasland, another HIT property.

We'll be looking at Justin's House, Mr Tumble, I Can Cook, Mr Bloom, Mr Maker and Nina & The Neurons, Night Garden and Waybuloo. Clangers from 2015 will be a dead cert and perfect opportunity to promote Cbeebiesland for a second tentpole year after its opening in 2014.

Those of you who are skeptical can drop your cynicism. The presenters and stars of CBeebies are like Gods to toddlers. As big to them as say Tom Cruise, U2, Beyonce or Coldplay are to us. This will be a very important and powerful investment for Alton Towers. As a parent of a toddler nothing makes me happier than seeing him happy and seeing his face light up in Cbeebies land would do just that.

On a side note I'm fascinated by the press release which states this is the beginning of a partnership with BBC Worldwide. What are their biggest properties along with CBeebies? I'm confident Top Gear, Doctor Who and Atlantis will all now be arriving at Alton Towers within the next five years.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 am

I do believe this will be a fantastic opportunity for the BBC, for Merlin/Towers and most importantly for the kiddies. As has been mentioned previously, the kids adore CBeebies and I am sure the parents enjoy the momentary peace ;)

My only real concern is that Towers/Merlin has a history of cost cutting after the initial year. If we look at Sub Terra, which relies heavily on actors, there are many days in which only one actor will be present towards the end of the maze section. As long as Towers make characters and interaction a permanent thing as part of the investment, then it'll be more than enough to keep the kids and parents returning.

As for BBC Worldwide, it's a tough one. They may indeed look at introducing additional BBC products on park, but too many would be overkill. They've probably got one more opportunity on park, and it'll have to be a big enough investment. Doctor Who would make a fantastic dark ride, but that's for another topic ;)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Doctor Who in 4D would be good when the Ice Age deal runs out.

I can only see theses shows working if they get the main stars of the show as well.

Ragdoll productions http://www.ragdoll.co.uk/html/storynoflash.html make theses programs
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Personally I think that this has the potential to be a really positive development for the park. As has been previously mentioned, Cbeebies is a well established brand with a clear following.

Merlin, in my opinion, have made a good choice with this IP. Not only will they have the initial increased interest when it opens, but they also have almost constant possibilities to update and refresh it which can only be a good thing (provided they do put the investment in to do this.)

There appears to be a growing link developing between Merlin and BBC worldwide - last year saw the introduction of Merlin: The Dragon Tower at Warwick Castle, and this year saw the Horrible Histories brand used at a number of Warwick Castle's key school holiday events. The Horrible Histories were a particular success with the family market, so it wouldn't surprise me if this helped encourage Merlin to proceed with the Cbeebies IP for AT. It will be interesting to see how this works, and where Merlin take this partnership next.

flange
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:07 pm

sku11dude123 wrote:
Since the Clangers are coming back in 2015. There is a possibility that a ride might be made around them to promote the show.

Along with the Clangers in 2015, Cbeebies will be launching a new show called The Furchester  in Autumn 2014 which will feature Elmo and the Cookie Monster, I wonder if something could be tied in with Cbeebies Land maybe?

Exterminieren
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:27 pm

It's always nice to see an area get a spruce up, and leveraging such a popular brand as CBeebies is good business sense. I'm sure Merlin have been looking at the success of Thomas Land with envious eyes for years now.

And I'd be surprised if this new BBC Worldwide partnership didn't manifest itself in a new Doctor Who ride within a couple of years. Forbidden Valley, possibly?

Danny

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Taken from the TowersTimes Facebook page:

These posters can be found dotted around Towers Street.

The giant banner blocking the Dung Heap has been replaced.

A look at the banner blocking off the Dung Heap and the Wishing Well.

A close up look of the logo.

The banner surrounding Riverbank Eye Spy has also been replaced.

The interior of Berry Bish Bash is now looking rather empty.

Another look at the interior of Berry Bish Bash.

A different angle of Riverbank Eye Spy's station behind the banner.

All the animals have been evicted from the layout of Riverbank Eye Spy.

A look at and over the barrier.

The other side of the banner.

The water has been drained from the ride circuit and the animals have vanished.

A direct look behind the banner showing some rebar on the floor.

Another look at the rebar and some ongoing groundwork.

The exit bridge remains in position, but the same cannot be said for the props around the ride circuit which now looks rather empty.

cookiee_munster
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:09 pm

It's brilliant to know this area is receiving a good facelift. I never liked the fact that it was a farm area, as cute as it was, I knew the park could do a lot better.

I'm glad they went with a british IP like CBeebies too.
Last edited by cookiee_munster on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoseyElephant
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 am

I'd love to see Something Special playing a part in the new area. My younger brother has severe brain damage and not many places cater for children with disabilities. Even if they used Makaton symbols around the Cbeebies Land that they use in the programme would be beneficial!!
Plus Justin (the presenter) is all up for things like that! He comes to my brother's school to do open days and all sorts!

Toonsville
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:12 am

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
Doctor Who in 4D would be good when the Ice Age deal runs out.

Or It would've be good too if the 4D cinema and the old Nickelodeon Outta Control Building were merged into one building for the Doctor Who dark ride.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:29 pm

Well it won't include Mister Maker

The rumours are true...Mister Maker™ is coming to Butlins next year. If you've got young children, you'll know how much of a TV celebrity he is! A guru on all things arts and crafts for kids, see Mister Maker™ come to life in this interactive family experience, only at Butlins.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 pm

Is anyone else thinking this will primarily turn into In the night Garden Land??? I'm 15 so I don't know many of the new shows since I was from the age of Twennies, Bob and Teletubbies but apart from all of the classics, there doesn't seem to be many NEW shows that are known extremely well nationally like Night Garden. I think that the front area of the park needs a retheme and it's a good IP to have but I'd be interested to know what the rest of you think will be added.
Theme Parks are my way of life.

Benjy Alton Towers Kid :)
Keep smiling!!! :)

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:44 am

The extra advantage of this new land is they can do "Meet the CBeebies presenters" how many kids would love to meet their favorite presenter? Cheap as chips to do, but it will draw a large crowd.

Just imagine Mr Tumble LIVE! LOL
If you go down to the woods today

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 am

I've only just realised this isn't coming until May!

Don't take your kids in March/April!
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:43 am

Ilovecoasters wrote:
I've only just realised this isn't coming until May!

Don't take your kids in March/April!

Well they don't want a repeat of The Smiler opening date fiasco.

We know that for the coming season Moshi Monsters will be returning for February half term, but in the following years is there the possibility that they use the Cbeebies IP instead? For the week, they could expand it a bit more over the park.
Last edited by lewis97 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:53 am

bensaund wrote:
The extra advantage of this new land is they can do "Meet the CBeebies presenters" how many kids would love to meet their favorite presenter? Cheap as chips to do, but it will draw a large crowd.

Just imagine Mr Tumble LIVE! LOL

Mr Tumble aka Justin Fletcher isn't an IP or brand owned by the BBC I believe.