UK theme parks from another point of view!

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Re: 2015 Rumours

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:16 pm

This, if shown to be true, is a brilliant decision made by the park imo! I would miss seeing Ripsaw in Forbidden Valley (brilliant to watch it from Fresh Fish and Chips!) but this will see the ride get refurbished, given a new theme and maybe even put on circuit 7 constantly? ;) And yes, SW8 hype will explode if this turns out to be true!

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:20 pm

It sounds wrong to me, a topspin may appear in the x sector but it wont be ripsaw. Ripsaw is as good as dead, it may be replaced by the same model but that model they have has a max of 3-4 years left. A floorless top spin would be better with ripsaw scrapped and the cross valley in 2019.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:36 pm

If this is true, and SW8 is going to be in that area, possibly crossing the valley, then I'm pleased they are preparing this far in advance. This is what let The Smiler's construction down as it took them forever to clear and prepare the site. Maybe this is prep for something bigger?
Plus it'll give Ripsaw a nice new theme and hopefully some TLC and it'll look great :)

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:59 pm

Please keep the fountains! Maybe some fire effects somehow themed around MOJ, could lead to an huge Alton Towers redevelopment, x sector turned into the MOJ forbidden valley won't seem right without ripsaw but another coaster there would completely change the whole park, then Cbeebies land, this could all happen in 4 years I guess!

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Very interesting! and this rumour has come about close to winter.. AT has previously teased that we will get our first piece of SW8 news this winter and to be honest the rumour does make a lot of sense. It has long been speculated that the most likely area for SW8 to be built is in the valley (even though I myself don't believe it should be there) although AT could be thinking along the lines of putting a new larger flat in Ripsaw's place as one is definitely needed. If Ripsaw is moved to X sector then I believe it will be a temporary move, maybe just for one season (3 at the most) as it really is on its last legs. X sector needs a flat and ripsaw is the perfect size for the area as well as it being a certain crowd filler (I can't think of another flat small enough to fit in submission's place) so that would solve that problem. But who knows what will happen!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:08 pm

From the moment I tried Ripsaw, I saw it in X sector! Another thing to marmalise! Or another fear experiment like Blivvy! <3 (as backstory)

I have always said an FV Floorless for next SW, I think we should all make predictions and have a little competition over guess correctly... :P

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:16 pm

I think Rippy would fit REALLY well in XS. I saw a while back on here what it would look like, under the name "Syndrome". REALLY hopes this happens! B&M SW8 here we coooome!

NemeJaney
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Here are some rumours I've heard. Some match others on here, but some are fresh:
- SW8 will probably not open until around 2018, possibly because the park wants to recover from the issues which followed The Smiler's opening(mechanical issues, etc)
- It will be in the FV, with Ripsaw and Blade being removed/relocated to fit it in. It may also share some ride area with Air.
- It will be a B&M launched wingrider with a theme of 'dark forces' (I know this one has been going round for a while, but it was brought up from a different source, this time)

This is just what I was told. Also, the messenger was apparently informed by some park staff who had access to some early SW8 plans.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Dark forces? If they do that FV will become way too convoluted with themes... I want a lead on from Sub Terra personally as a theme.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor
Topic Author

Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:50 pm

I strongly believe large investment years are 2016 and 2019/20. Maybe not SW's, but definately new rides with big budgets.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:35 pm

NemeJaney wrote:
Here are some rumours I've heard. Some match others on here, but some are fresh:
- SW8 will probably not open until around 2018, possibly because the park wants to recover from the issues which followed The Smiler's opening(mechanical issues, etc)
- It will be in the FV, with Ripsaw and Blade being removed/relocated to fit it in. It may also share some ride area with Air.
- It will be a B&M launched wingrider with a theme of 'dark forces' (I know this one has been going round for a while, but it was brought up from a different source, this time)

This is just what I was told. Also, the messenger was apparently informed by some park staff who had access to some early SW8 plans.

If a coaster does replace Ripsaw & Blade that would leave FV as only having coasters and nothing for younger thrill seekers in that area at all. I would rather see a mixture of rides and height restrictions so there is something for everyone in each area.

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:48 pm

A wingrider in FV would be pretty awesome! and would make a lot of sense being there adding to an inverted and a flying coaster. Would make it the ultimate area!

NemeJaney
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:55 pm

jon18uk wrote:
NemeJaney wrote:

If a coaster does replace Ripsaw & Blade that would leave FV as only having coasters and nothing for younger thrill seekers in that area at all. I would rather see a mixture of rides and height restrictions so there is something for everyone in each area.

I agree. It seems odd that they'd remove the 2 flats, given that it's such a significant area of the park.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:55 pm

Ripsaw and blade are at the end of their lives and are pending removal and replacement. A launched wing rider has problems in that their throughputs are bad because of a limited train size not something alton wants. It also offers a similar experience to a flyer and after the failure of swarm alton will avoid them. The valley is hard to get permission for so to have a cross valley starting at the ripsaw site seems unlikely. 2018 is a good candidate for a year but that number has been generated by fanboy logic and has no fact behind it.

Alton13Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:44 pm

I have to be skeptical for the simple reason that 3 coasters in the central area of FV will be too cramped, as well as causing a clash of themes. There will also be no room for flats. I think that the air car park, or east of nemesis, coaster is more feasible

lucozade
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:55 am

Fanboys are guessing that AT SW8 will come in year X coz they are looking at AT's history...

BUT AT isn't a stand alone theme park... Its loosing market share! European theme parks are adding hundreds of thousands of new visitors every year, but from 2010 to 2013 Alton towers LOST 500,000 visitors!!! They went from 3 mill to 2.5... Smiler was a failure and AT needs to do something special soon to fix its reputation. I think big changes are ahead. Not just rides.

Merlin needs to invest heavily in AT to make sure it doesn't get left behind. Oddly enough by heavily investing European theme parks.

Regarding a cross valley coaster... Unless its silent with invisible supports... Its not going to happen. Hahaha

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:57 am

TTheory wrote:
I think Rippy would fit REALLY well in XS. I saw a while back on here what it would look like, under the name "Syndrome". REALLY hopes this happens! B&M SW8 here we coooome!

I believe you mean my concept =]

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Thats the one! Great concept.
I think it would be epic with some smoke-effects.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Ripsaw in X sector would be great as the water could be used as some sort of cleansing device. Plus I wouldn't call the Smiler a failure. Yes it didn't get the rise in gate figures they wanted but it did still get queues a million miles long and people come off and say it's a good ride. Most of the GP Ive met have said it is the best ride there and thanks to The Smiler, every time Ive been this year, Nemmy has always been walk on.

Doesn't Ripsaw have a bigger footprint that Submission? To me it doesn't look like it would fit, but thats just guessing.

lucozade
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:06 pm

I like smiler. But when a theme park spends 18 mill on a ride and it fails to attract back 500,000 lost visitors, they do consider it a huge failure.

Alton towers is failing to attract visitors.

By the way... A new floorless 'syndrome' would be great :)