UK theme parks from another point of view!

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Re: The Smiler over closed season 13/14

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:48 am

Lee wrote:
ryan8741 wrote:
As long as it doesn't have as much downtime as last season, everyone will be happy. But the only issue is the complicated ride system itself. Its a brand new concept. It will have to have some downtime. But last year was appauling

I wouldn't say it's a brand new concept such as Oblivion or Air. It's just a custom coaster that has 14 inversions. So unless gravity changes suddenly, it shouldn't have had as much downtime as it did do last year.

In a way it was a brand new concept as from gerstlauer it was the first infinity that they had built so for them it was a new sort of concept with software and trains, however the down time last season wasn't much to do with software although some was, it was mainly the general construction of the ride and profiling.
Now with the grinding work and welding work performed this closed season not to mention the work unseen like drainage and work in the indoor section this downtime should be lessened however not eradicated totally as all rides have down time it's natural although not welcomed :/ I for one am certainly interested to see what work if noticeable has been done one the cars as they were quite a main problem due to them grinding into the track.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:44 am

AltonTowersGuide posted a picture yesterday showing The Smiler testing again. At least we know it's all back up and working now :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 pm

As Dr.Kelham pointed out in the Submission topic, The Smiler now has a permanent extended queue, shown in an image from Tatenhill Aviation.

ThemeParkFanaticUK
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:43 am

I am glad Alton have constructed this extra queue line, hopefully this means no more of those extension queue lines that are put there for overflowing :)

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:33 am

ThemeParkFanaticUK wrote:
I am glad Alton have constructed this extra queue line, hopefully this means no more of those extension queue lines that are put there for overflowing :)

Those were awful something much more permanent is much better :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:37 am

I don't understand why they've built them. Towards the end of the seaosn, I can't say I saw the overfills being used. Seems like a pointless investment for a ride that will very rarely top a 150 minute queue.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 am

I was thinking that, the queues are going to be smaller this year (Still big,I know) as people who have been on it, wont mind giving it a miss till a smaller queue forms. Seems like a waste of money and space. To me it suggests theres not going to be a Submission replacement for a few years but I suppose they dont want to distract from the Smiler + CeBeebies Land for a bit, Especially with it being next door to the Smiler.

ThemeParkFanaticUK
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Dr.Kelham wrote:

Wait is it an overflow queue? Or is it just part of the main queue that you have to take?

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:46 pm

Dr.Kelham wrote:

Wait is it an overflow queue? Or is it just part of the main queue that you have to take?

By the looks of photos from TPC, this new queue line is connected directly to the entrance of the smiler but only to the normal queue although I will say it does look a little tacky the way it has been added
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Joshysqaushy
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:25 pm

By the looks of photos from TPC, this new queue line is connected directly to the entrance of the smiler but only to the normal queue although I will say it does look a little tacky the way it has been added

Do you have a link to the pictures???
DONCASTER ADVENTURE PARKS NEW COASTER
TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-R-f-2wp74
UPDATES: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37998&start=40

rossdeadmanz
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Has anyone heard anything regarding AT making the indoor section more like the advert with the lighting etc over closed season?

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Submission Replacement

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:09 pm

I see the train and the extended queue, but WHAT THE HELL is going on underneath the 13th inversion? On the fastrack/SR entrance? It looks BROWN. You can really see the wear on the rails clearly too. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?

Zach
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 pm

rossdeadmanz wrote:
Has anyone heard anything regarding AT making the indoor section more like the advert with the lighting etc over closed season?

No reports mate :/

rossdeadmanz
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:52 pm

TheSmilerMan wrote:
rossdeadmanz wrote:

No reports mate :/

That's a shame! The inversion during the indoor section is probably my favourite of the ride as it is unexpected and very disorientating. The sensation would be made even greater by lighting similar to that on the advert

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Submission Replacement

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Buschgardensfan wrote:
I see the train and the extended queue, but WHAT THE HELL is going on underneath the 13th inversion? On the fastrack/SR entrance? It looks BROWN. You can really see the wear on the rails clearly too. WHAT HAVE THEY DONE?

The track has been grinded down so this could add to the marks on the track but hopefully The Smiler will be re-painted to look it's best on opening day :)

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:03 am

it looks like the overspill will be used every day, people who queue up before they open the main smiler entrance at 10 , early riders, get put in it, to keep the walkway nice and tidy

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:55 am

Still rough as anything no track smoothing took place over the closed season

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Has it broken down yet?