UK theme parks from another point of view!

rosco1982uk
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Quick Questions

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Off work for a week from 16th September - are the English school holidays over by then?

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:30 pm

rosco1982uk wrote:
Off work for a week from 16th September - are the English school holidays over by then?

Yes, most schools go back on the 3rd of September...

Andyroo
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:32 pm

lewis97 wrote:
rosco1982uk wrote:

Most Colleges (I think) start back on the 9th.

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Andyroo wrote:
lewis97 wrote:
rosco1982uk wrote:

Most Colleges (I think) start back on the 9th.

All depends on your council.. my GF works at a college and she goes back on the 2nd. Just check your council's websites.
Thanks to Lewis97 for my Amazing Signature!

Michelle
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:28 pm

Regardless, by the 16th you should be entirely school/college student free!

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Michelle wrote:
Regardless, by the 16th you should be entirely school/college student free!

There are still a few schools who do their rewards trips in September like mine. However this is relatively few and doesn't impact on queue times much

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Uni students won't be back either...

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:12 pm

sully1311 wrote:
Uni students won't be back either...

They are very few though. A lot of universities organise towers trips for scarefest or the end of September as induction trips.

shimmers
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:08 am

UPDATE to my own voucher entry query during Scarefest! Contacted Alton Towers and they confirmed that you CAN use 2 for 1 vouchers for entry to the park during Scarefest  :D

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi,

It may sound odd, and I probably know the answer however, can you go on a ride blindfolded?

The reason I ask is because it is my sister's birthday soon and we want to do something similar  to the Ellen Show in the US where we send her on random coasters around the park blindfolded. Could this happen?

This is the Ellen Show Clip- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRVE6ju9w8

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:39 pm

I can't imagine them stopping you getting to the ride blindfolded and possibly the queue, but id imagine they'd ask you to remove it before entering the ride area. Worth asking alton towers for a definitive answer I guess.

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Ok,

Thanks I guess The Ellen Show had special permission, I'll have a phone...

iBacon
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:25 pm

Basically they said there is no rule against it but it depends on the Ride Operator at the time so I'll see how it goes XD

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:57 pm

Anyone know of any good campsites around the Alton towers area for a group of 17-18 years olds? Most have a complete silence rule for after 11pm which is obviously for kids but does anyone know of a campsite with less strict rules?

The star campsite sounds good and is not that badly priced but sounds quite strict.

Lucieloo
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 am

shimmers wrote:
UPDATE to my own voucher entry query during Scarefest! Contacted Alton Towers and they confirmed that you CAN use 2 for 1 vouchers for entry to the park during Scarefest  :D

Yes, was convinced you could as we did last year! Well done though!
First person ever to be proposed to on the Smiler! xxxxxx
And because of that I am now Mrs A....

MiniBlivvy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:42 pm

My first post! Yay!

I'm hoping to go to AT soon and have decided to go in the SRQ for the smiler since I don't really fancy spending my whole day queueing! My family were going to sit and wait for me outside of the queue, but I was wondering whether they would be able to join the SRQ with me, but then leave the queue at the end instead of riding, so that I can have someone to talk to while I'm waiting?

Sorry if I went on a bit!
Oblivion, Th13teen, Hex, Air, Nemesis -SURVIVED

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:24 pm

MiniBlivvy wrote:
My first post! Yay!

I'm hoping to go to AT soon and have decided to go in the SRQ for the smiler since I don't really fancy spending my whole day queueing! My family were going to sit and wait for me outside of the queue, but I was wondering whether they would be able to join the SRQ with me, but then leave the queue at the end instead of riding, so that I can have someone to talk to while I'm waiting?

Sorry if I went on a bit!

I'm not sure.

I have seen it done on some rides (Nemesis & Oblivion) but that was the main queue and not the SRQ.

I would just ask the ride host at the entrance whether you can do it or not. The SRQ is never normally very big anyway so you wouldn't be waiting for that long.

hursty
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:16 am

MiniBlivvy wrote:

Some are easier than others. I know you're asking about The Smiler, but here is some advice for all;

Air
The single rider queues isn't normally that big albeit slow moving - it would probably best the simple walk back the way you came in.

Nemesis
The queue line is so short (the steps) you're not isolated from those around you. Easy escape back down the steps.

Smiler
30/40 minutes most weekends - when you get to the platform there is a unmarked door to the right which opens on to the exit steps, ask the ride op to point you in the right direction. Don't attempt to walk back.
On some days, depending on the time, there isn't that much of difference between SRQ and the main queue.

Oblivion
Either walk the queue backwards, or speak to the ride op, but likely need to cross the train and out, which isn't easy without disrupting batching

Rita
When you get on the platform there there is an exit to the right next to the baggage hold, ask the ride op to let you out.

Thirteen
It is difficult. Speak to the ride op, but you will need to cross the train to get out, which isn't easy without disrupting batching. Avoid!

Sonic Spinball
Walk the queue backwards. Crossing the trains with ride op assistance will likely cause disruption to a very tight loading time.

Bear in mind people frequently walk the queue lines backwards if it is taking "too long" so your family would be no different.
That said it can be a hassle even for a single person - for a family it's going to be harder.

Single riders benefit both the main queue and individual riders, so try not to cause too much disruption or headaches for busy ride ops.

All of the single rider queues are standing, just like the main queue, and move slowly - which isn't the greatest feeling, so be mindful of your family in bringing them into long queues.
Maybe they would rather be sat somewhere more comfortable or off exploring!

Maybe put a post in the meet up forum if your family is happy and see if any members are about you could queue/ride with
http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/mini-meets/

Maybe take a friend or ride with one of your family and let the rest make the most of their time on the park.

Alternatively - pay for a fastrack. For one person it's not too expensive, but you need to decide whether it's worth it verses waiting. If you can 'jump' the queue, you and the family are free make the most of the day.
Currently you can enter to win Smiler fastracks here http://www.the-smiler.com/advocatetest/
Last edited by hursty on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

hursty
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:37 am

hambletwins wrote:
Anyone know of any good campsites around the Alton towers area for a group of 17-18 years olds? Most have a complete silence rule for after 11pm which is obviously for kids but does anyone know of a campsite with less strict rules?

The star campsite sounds good and is not that badly priced but sounds quite strict.

The best you can probably do is request to have a pitch at the far side of a site, but normally as a rule all campsites will normally have noise rules from a certain time - sites near Alton Towers will be accommodating a lot of families.

The best you could probably do is stay out late at a pub or a similar venue and return to sleep.
At the Star campsite car movement is not allowed overnight, so if arriving back late you may need to park outside and walk in.

The Star is by far the best campsite I've found near Alton Towers.
If you staying more than a couple of nights, or plan to return - join the Camping and Caravanning Club for around £40 and save a good chunk on your booking. The website will show prices both with and without membership.

Besides, if they get there heads down, they can be up bright and early for Early Ride Time ;)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:04 am

Okay, well we were planning to stay either at one of the on site hotels for a couple of days before Scarefest, and then spend both these days in the theme park. However, I have just won the daily Krave competition and so now have 4 tickets.

I was wondering whether we could use these tickets for admission on one day, and still get ERT. We'd obviously then have to buy tickets for the second day.