UK theme parks from another point of view!

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Quick Questions

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:11 am

lewis97 wrote:
Okay, well we were planning to stay either at one of the on site hotels for a couple of days before Scarefest, and then spend both these days in the theme park. However, I have just won the daily Krave competition and so now have 4 tickets.

I was wondering whether we could use these tickets for admission on one day, and still get ERT. We'd obviously then have to buy tickets for the second day.

Ring the Resort, as I'm not sure if counts as an advanced booking or not. I think, with a bit of persuasion theyd probably say yes. You should be able to bounce back the next day too LewLew ;)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am

Lee James wrote:
lewis97 wrote:
Okay, well we were planning to stay either at one of the on site hotels for a couple of days before Scarefest, and then spend both these days in the theme park. However, I have just won the daily Krave competition and so now have 4 tickets.

I was wondering whether we could use these tickets for admission on one day, and still get ERT. We'd obviously then have to buy tickets for the second day.

Ring the Resort, as I'm not sure if counts as an advanced booking or not. I think, with a bit of persuasion theyd probably say yes. You should be able to bounce back the next day too LewLew ;)

Actually thinking about it, we probably wouldn't get there early enough on the first day to make use of ERT anyway. Am I right in thinking, all you need to show is your hotel key card to get ERT on the second day?

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 am

lewis97 wrote:
Lee James wrote:
lewis97 wrote:

Actually thinking about it, we probably wouldn't get there early enough on the first day to make use of ERT anyway. Am I right in thinking, all you need to show is your hotel key card to get ERT on the second day?

As far as I am aware, yeah. Just show them the card and then they'll let you through as it's a perk for advanced online bookings, Hotel guests and MAP holders only.

Kirsty25

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:57 pm

hursty wrote:
The Star is by far the best campsite I've found near Alton Towers.
If you staying more than a couple of nights, or plan to return - join the Camping and Caravanning Club for around £40 and save a good chunk on your booking. The website will show prices both with and without membership.

Besides, if they get there heads down, they can be up bright and early for Early Ride Time ;)

I stay here but in a static caravan on my trips to the Towers, the costs are very reasonable and as long as you aren't shouting and screaming at 3am, some noise is to be expected. My family have used Camping and Caravanning Club sites for many years and you hear people talking or whatever until 1/2am then it does go quiet. It is just that no cars are allowed to move around between 11pm and 7am. There is a pub down the road which is lovely and a couple of others in the area, which if anyone is interested in, I can give details of and highly recommend.

Liam B
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:33 pm

Kirsty25 wrote:
hursty wrote:
If you staying more than a couple of nights, or plan to return - join the Camping and Caravanning Club for around £40 and save a good chunk on your booking. The website will show prices both with and without membership.

Besides, if they get there heads down, they can be up bright and early for Early Ride Time ;)

I stay here but in a static caravan on my trips to the Towers, the costs are very reasonable and as long as you aren't shouting and screaming at 3am, some noise is to be expected. My family have used Camping and Caravanning Club sites for many years and you hear people talking or whatever until 1/2am then it does go quiet. It is just that no cars are allowed to move around between 11pm and 7am. There is a pub down the road which is lovely and a couple of others in the area, which if anyone is interested in, I can give details of and highly recommend.

That's good to here! As long as there ok with us just chatting that should be fine! Unfortunatly we are a mixture of 17/18 year olds so nae pubs :(

Kirsty25

Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm

hambletwins wrote:
Kirsty25 wrote:
hursty wrote:

That's good to here! As long as there ok with us just chatting that should be fine! Unfortunatly we are a mixture of 17/18 year olds so nae pubs :(

I'd ring up and check then, I know with the caravans you have to be at least 21, well have at least one 21 year old in your group, to hire one. They won't have an issue with you sitting round chatting that's for sure!

MiniBlivvy
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:50 pm

I've seen loads of topics of which way is 'best' to go around the park, but none are new enough to include The Smiler  :(
I want to make the most of my day and ride the most rides, so I really would like some advice on which rides to target first and which to leave to last.

So, which way would you go round AT, and which do you think is best?
Oblivion, Th13teen, Hex, Air, Nemesis -SURVIVED

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:19 pm

normally when I arrive for ERT, I go to Dark Forest first when Rita and 13 are walk on :-). And then catch the skyride over to Forbidden Valley and do the attractions there. I. Then just ,make my way to mutiny bay where I go via Duel, RMT and the water rides which takes me to about lunchtime where I go for some noms:-) I then head over to x sector for a go on Blivvy which takes me to about 2 where the smiler is usually at its quietest so I hop on that and maybe a go on enterprise and then do Random stuff from there :-)

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:23 pm

I usually go from sonic and go to X then DF ect

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:11 am

Tom's routine is pretty much spot on as far as getting on everything with minimal queuing and avoiding pointless zigzagging across the park is concerned, so I'd say stick relatively close to that, and you should be left with plenty of time to do the odd other ride and/or re-ride your favourites before park close.

I'm also going to have to go against everything I stand for and recommend fastracking the Smiler (providing you can justify the cost). I also suggest you join its queue as close to the queue close time as possible if you wish to re-ride it without taking an unnecessarily large chunk out of your remaining potential ride time. The same goes for any other rides that may generate a sizable queue. :)

markclo
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:39 am

Hi,

Going to AT on Monday 2nd September. Will get there early (9 ish) but wondered what people's opinions are on how busy it will be?

Many, but not all schools are back, those that aren't will be by Tuesday or Wednesday, depending where you live.

Weather forecast is 21 degrees and cloudy so OK but unremarkable.

Universities are nearly all in recess still so plenty of students about.

It's a long drive from Southampton so 4 or 5 rides will be massively disapointing. Really reluctant to pay extra for fast tracks if I can possibly avoid it.

Surely families won't bother so close to school going back? Wishful thinking maybe.

I'd love to know the thoughts of a more frequent visitor or MAP holder.

Also, can you get near The Smiler Q before 10am?

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:11 am

You should be absolutely fine as far as getting on everything you want to is concerned. Re-rides are another matter. Those horror stories you hear of people only getting on 4 or 5 rides a day are generally terribly misconstrued or complete fiction. I've been in the middle of the summer holidays before and been absolutely fine each time.

I should expect queues of 35-60 minutes for Rita and Air, 15-40 for Nemesis, 20-50 for Oblivion (very unpredictable this season) and 50-90 for the Smiler. :)

blacksnake
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:03 pm

I went last Tuesday (27/08) with the family for a night in a hotel in Stoke-on-Trent and theme park tickets for the Wednesday. The plan being, check in hotel at 14:00hrs, drive to AT for the afternoon session in the water park. Back to hotel for the night then early doors to the theme park for 10:00. My theory being that the bank holiday weekend would have seen the busiest period and most people would be then back in work by the Wednesday.

How wrong I was. To the point that we decided to take advantage of the next day ticket for £4.80 (excellent offer btw) in order to get all the rides in. We left hotel at about 09:20 for the half hour drive to the park, all went well until we hit the traffic Q about a half mile before the turn into Farley Ln. which we inched forward in all the way to car park 'J'... The naughty car park... The "Should have set off earlier car park!" By the time we had walked to the actual park entrance, Q'd up for tickets and then for entry it was almost 12:00.

Day 2... Lessons learned. We actually went from home (Liverpool) leaving at 08:15, and apart from a bit of stop-start traffic getting through Cheadle found ourselves in car park C+/D- by 09:45. Straight to park entry and in, full day had... Even time to stroll through gardens instead of taking Skyride.

My advice... Everyone tends to have the same theory about when the park will be least busy, so everyone turns up at similar time making it far from quiet. Just get there early, park opens at 09:30 rides start at 10:00 so take into account the walk from car park and Q for entry (from 30mins to 1 hour) and all should go well.

Hope you have a good day.
What Goes Up, Must Go...........AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:02 am

MiniBlivvy wrote:
My first post! Yay!

I'm hoping to go to AT soon and have decided to go in the SRQ for the smiler since I don't really fancy spending my whole day queueing! My family were going to sit and wait for me outside of the queue, but I was wondering whether they would be able to join the SRQ with me, but then leave the queue at the end instead of riding, so that I can have someone to talk to while I'm waiting?

Sorry if I went on a bit!

There is a door by the baggage hold which let's you go through to the exit corridor however you'd have to ask the attendant extremely nicely :-)  I think I've seen it done before, it was this woman faffinf around going through and then back through again and again....

Sam198
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:58 am

The ride hosts aren't exactly going to force your family to ride... Although I do suggest it would still be best for them to wait outside. It's only the SRQ, after all. :)
Last edited by Sam198 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LevSusenka
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:29 am

blacksnake wrote:
I went last Tuesday (27/08) with the family for a night in a hotel in Stoke-on-Trent and theme park tickets for the Wednesday. The plan being, check in hotel at 14:00hrs, drive to AT for the afternoon session in the water park. Back to hotel for the night then early doors to the theme park for 10:00. My theory being that the bank holiday weekend would have seen the busiest period and most people would be then back in work by the Wednesday.

Yeah I have heard from many people and staff alike that weeks with a bank holiday in them its actually better to go ON the bank holiday as most people second guess that being busy and go another day in the week usually just after to "beat" the rush. So more often than not its not as busy on the bank holiday as it is the following days.

Easy patter to remember, if YOU think its going to be busy one day others will too and likewise if YOU think it will be empty others will too. So many will have the same plan.

Deathtoharibo
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:51 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how much the hot and cold drinks capsules are please? Also can you pay to have them validated again on a 2nd day?

menopica2006
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Hello

we are staying at the chained oak farm b&b

we wanted to know..

How long to walk from here to the main village
How long to walk from here to the alton towers entrance
How long to walk from hre to the alton towers hotel ( booked dinner the night before )

if anyone can help, or and provide directions i would really appreciate it

thanks in advance :)

Joe

Galee74
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:14 pm

some general questions I could really do with help with knowing ASAP...

-I'm thinking of staying with another person at a local B and B, can anyone recommend any? must be under £90 per night and ideally within walking distance to the towers. REally like the look of the chained oak but theyre more or less sold out, as we need two nights, not just one.

-also, anyone recommend a decent taxi service from stoke train station to towers? been quoted £40 return, is that right or dear? and its around 30min ride? is that correct?

its around 4 hours trip for me so i hope the smilers working this time...FOURTH time this year and everytime its been down!! (yes im cursed!!) so this is the Smilers final chance, and sick of getting revalidated lol

thanks in advance! :)

The.DR.
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi all when does the 2014 recruitment start, and how much is accommodation?

Have they got rid of the staff accommodation?

Many thanks all ;)

I believe the 'official' recruitment drive starts at the end of the season/ the start of the next season, although I'm sure  one or two staff members who lurk about on these forums can help!

And as far as I'm aware, the official accommodation for staff is no longer provided.
Last edited by The.DR. on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.