UK theme parks from another point of view!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Re: February Half Term 2014

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi,
We are going AT tomorrow, when I looked on the website, it said from £15 per adult, iv'e just looked today and it says two different prices

This one says from £15 per adult
http://www.altontowers.com/special-offers/

and this one says from £18
http://www.altontowers.com/events/half-term/

Both from today, so which is correct, could you help please? How much has other people had to pay????

Thanks

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 pm

I'm also off tomorrow and have booked my tickets the other day, unfortunately it has gone up to £18 per adult from £15 which was advertised earlier back... I think I'm correct in saying that it's £20 each on the day. Hope this helps.
Image 2014

Kirsty25

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:14 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:
Hi,
We are going AT tomorrow, when I looked on the website, it said from £15 per adult, iv'e just looked today and it says two different prices

This one says from £15 per adult
http://www.altontowers.com/special-offers/

and this one says from £18
http://www.altontowers.com/events/half-term/

Both from today, so which is correct, could you help please? How much has other people had to pay????

Thanks

I'd phone towers up and query with them as if they are advertising the lower price then really they should honour it.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:30 pm

in all fairness it does say from just £15.00... so it does cover themselves in a sense, although it is cheeky as i thought it was still £15 when i went to book it and only when i went through to actually book then told me it was £18 each which i then had to confirm with my friends!
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:42 pm

but from 15 must mean there is adult tickets available at 15 otherwise its false advertisement. I know its just a few quid but obviously need to know.

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:07 pm

I can't decide whether to go up on the weekend or not.

Is it really worth a 3hr drive?
ThrillJunkieUK

DSA
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:20 pm

I think the £15 price applied if you booked at least 7 days in advance.  As there are now less than 7 days left of the event, the £15 price (25% off) no longer applies, and 10% is applied (i.e. £18).  That was how I read the website previously, and I think this is consistent with main season advance ticket pricing.

However I'm not sure why the website is selling advance tickets for tomorrow at £20, as it says advance prices (presumably at the 10% discount rate) are available until midnight the day before your visit, which I take to be midnight tonight (for a Friday visit).

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:02 pm

If you are a pass holder go, but don't pay £18 to get in with half the park closed. Wait a month go with a friend with a BOGOF and you will pay £24 each, but you get the full experience.
If you go down to the woods today

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:11 pm

ThrillJunkie wrote:
I can't decide whether to go up on the weekend or not.

Is it really worth a 3hr drive?

Simple answer no, not for 3hrs and half the park if not more to be closed, wait 29 days and the full park will be open! Get the full experience enjoy the smiler improved for 2014 and the dark forest. Wouldn't risk it and end up getting disappointed 

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:58 pm

I did a 3.5 hour drive and it was ok but I had a child who could only go on 1.2 rides so it worked out fine.
If you go down to the woods today

frakison
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:57 pm

I have a PDF printable voucher that would seem to give you the prices you were expecting, this is the link they sent to me via email and it says its valid until the 24th:

http://www.raring2go.co.uk/newsletter/c ... _Postcodes

Plus, FREE PARKING!!!!

Hope that helps someone?  :D

ThrillJunkie
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:38 am

Thanks Guys.

I am indeed a MAP holder but couldn't decide if it was worth the drive. Free Entry, Free Parking and 20% Off was persuading me but after your comments I think I'll wait.

How is The Smiler and Dark Forest being improved?

Cheers
Last edited by ThrillJunkie on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThrillJunkieUK

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am

If you have a child who really likes Moshi Monsters it might be worthwhile, otherwise wait for the main season I think.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:02 pm

ThrillJunkie wrote:
Thanks Guys.
How is The Smiler and Dark Forest being improved?

Cheers

Best place to look for this is winter maintenance topic, but in short he smiler has had a lot if work over closed season, including scaffolding in parts, the dark forest has also seen scaffolding but what to improvement or add is unknown to I get there on 22nd for [email protected]

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 pm

On my way back from Alton Towers now.

I noticed that Ripsaws railing was brown so I'm guessing the red was under coat.
Smiler covered in scaffolding and part of the track was very shiny.
Nemesis restraints looked new and the red on the station has definitely been painted. There was only one train running and I couldn't see the other in the garage thing ( any one know where it is? )

Quite busy. 40 mins for Nemesis and RMT and spinball.
The water around Nemesis wasn't red though.
Really good day. Cant wait to go back in June

Also Rita looked a lot taller than I thought it was. And the twirling toadstool has been taken down.
Last edited by stealthsmiler on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:50 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:
And the twirling toadstool has been taken down.

That's a joke, right? Please tell me that's a joke ...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:

It's taken apart every year for maintenance so nothing to worry about. 

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Rob-TT wrote:
Ilovecoasters wrote:
stealthsmiler wrote:

It's taken apart every year for maintenance so nothing to worry about. 

Oh good. I was shocked.  I must have said " what no they can't take it down"  for about 5 mins. I'm glad its not going I thought taking 2 flats in one year was a bad idea but obviously they arent.

Tom.B

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:24 pm

They won't be taking down TT: The Ride any time soon... not on my watch anyway. ;)

LCFCjames
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:26 am

Great day at Alton Towers yesterday!

- It was nice to see the rotating tunnel working in Duel for once, although I did notice quite a few of the targets were not working / not registering hits and this occurred on all 3 of my rides (not just because I'm bad at aiming ;) ).
- The new restraints on Nemesis look top notch. Its nice to see that she is getting a bit of attention in her 20th year. The new 20th anniversary T-Shirts look brilliant as well and I'll hopefully be getting one of them later in the season.
- The path through the gardens was closed throughout the day; due to the recent weather a lot of areas within the woods are deemed unsafe. Hopefully they manage to get this safe and open for the park opening in March.
- The smiler had some scaffolding still in place around the area where the infamous bolt had fallen out. Hopefully this means they are doing some work on that area of track to secure it a bit better than last season!
- Cbeebies land is looking really good! From the top of Spinball Whizzer you can see the vast array of colourful buildings and added theming features. This area looks like it is going to be wonderful for young children.

It looks like a decent amount of work has gone on throughout the closed season so far, which is always a good sign! I can't wait to go back later in the year  8)