UK theme parks from another point of view!

Was The Smiler the right choice for Alton Towers?

Yes
48 (92%)
No
4 (8%)

Total votes: 52

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Definitive Smiler Opinions

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:13 pm

I know many topics around the same theme (mainly The Smiler VS Nemeis) have been created but I thought it was time to find out if The Smiler was the right choice for AT and get some definitive answers. I personally like the Smiler and I think it is a good experience. What do you think? Discuss below and/or vote in the poll above :)
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Definative Smiler opinions

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:23 pm

I too love The Smiler
I think it is a great addition to the park.
Yeah its had its issues and problems, but im sure it will overcome them all eventually.
I just hope Merlin look after it properly.
Cant wait to get back on again this year.
I think this is all going to come down to personal preference.
People are either going to love it or hate it.
Me i love it,love it love it.
Last edited by Martin on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

I think The Smiler is a great ride! Apart from the several breakdowns and big queues, I don't get how it isn't a great ride!

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:27 pm

My opinions are very limited and you could say untrustworthy as I've never ridden, but here we go anyway

Things Wrong With The Smiler
By ILC
1. A poor excuse for a secret element. It's not a world's first, it's a world beating, which America will probably beat in the next few years, but nothing can ever match up to Oblivion being the first dive machine or Air being the first flying coaster. This sad secret element will encourage similar ones in the future eg. Woodie with most inversions, Launched with most inversions etc.
2. Dangerous. Argue all you like, it's quite fortunate that nobody has been seriously injured or worse on this ride. This is more than just teething problems, this is a real issue, and if AT can't iron this out over the closed season then they have a real problem.
3. Got rid of Black Hole. Yeah, nothing will bring the black hole back, but I would have been on the black hole, but now it's been replaced by a giant metal monster that only the fearless (ie. Definitely not me) will go on. I'd love to go back to 2004/2005 and tell them not to knock down the black hole.
4. £18million. If the park are going to spend this much on a secret weapon (and trust me, I don't have a problem with that) they could at least make it a world's first.
5. Ugly. It's impressive at first sight, but when you look at it properly, it's just a mess.
6. Takes over Oblivion. My family completely bypassed Oblivion last year because all they cared about was this amazing "world-class" coaster.

Now I sit back and wait for the hate mail
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:

By ILC
3. Got rid of Black Hole. Yeah, nothing will bring the black hole back, but I would have been on the black hole, but now it's been replaced by a giant metal monster that only the fearless (ie. Definitely not me) will go on. I'd love to go back to 2004/2005 and tell them not to knock down the black hole.

As I have said, I love the Smiler and I understand it's issues were more than teething problems but these are hopefully short term. I feel your opinion in number three is not considering all guests but you are intitled to your opinion :)
Last edited by Altontowersbarlow on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
My opinions are very limited and you could say untrustworthy as I've never ridden, but here we go anyway

By ILC
1. A poor excuse for a secret element. It's not a world's first, it's a world beating, which America will probably beat in the next few years, but nothing can ever match up to Oblivion being the first dive machine or Air being the first flying coaster. This sad secret element will encourage similar ones in the future eg. Woodie with most inversions, Launched with most inversions etc.
2. Dangerous. Argue all you like, it's quite fortunate that nobody has been seriously injured or worse on this ride. This is more than just teething problems, this is a real issue, and if AT can't iron this out over the closed season then they have a real problem.
4. £18million. If the park are going to spend this much on a secret weapon (and trust me, I don't have a problem with that) they could at least make it a world's first.
5. Ugly. It's impressive at first sight, but when you look at it properly, it's just a mess.
6. Takes over Oblivion. My family completely bypassed Oblivion last year because all they cared about was this amazing "world-class" coaster.

Now I sit back and wait for the hate mail

Slightly harsh, but I agree with you about a poor worlds first. You can never take Oblivion, Air and Th13teen's prize away from them. The were, and will always be the worlds first what ever. But the smiler isn't unique, it not like it invented the inverstion. Look at Dragon Khan, once held be record for most loops, now it hardly gets noticed worldwide. Bottom line, The Smiler is not unique, it's just an amplified version of other coasters. However, all that aside, its still a great coaster and the right choise for alton. Although, I would like them to get something different for their next major addition, like a major, world class dark ride.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Coasters for the all the family:
TH13TEEN
Sonic Spinball (probably leaving in the next 5 years)
RMT (pretty lame)

Coasters for thrillseekers:
Air
Rita
Oblivion
Nemesis
The Smiler

Without the smiler, thrillseekers would still have plenty to do, so yes I think minus the smiler is considering all guests

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
TH13TEEN
RMT (pretty lame)

Air
Rita
Oblivion
Nemesis
The Smiler

Without the smiler, thrillseekers would still have plenty to do, so yes I think minus the smiler is considering all guests

AT's last roller coaster was a family investment though(Thirteen) so it would make sense to invest in a thrill attraction for SW7 :)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:43 pm

It didn't have to be in place of the Black Hole

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
It didn't have to be in place of the Black Hole

This is a discussion for everybody so I will leave it after this however The Black hole was closed many years before the Smiler so it made a perfect site unless they wanted to get rid of the flume :)

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:49 pm

I love the Smiler. It has some of the best inversions I've ever been on, a great backstory (although I wish it was shown more) and the 2nd airtime hill is just incredible.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Re: Definative Smiler opinions

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Ilovecoasters wrote:
TH13TEEN
RMT (pretty lame)

Air
Rita
Oblivion
Nemesis
The Smiler

I'd hardly say Air and Rita are coasters for thrillseekers, Air isnt forceful in the slightest and Rita is just an off the shelf launch coaster

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:04 pm

^ just because Rita is an off the shelf launch coaster doesn't mean it's not for thrillseekers, it's a launch ride that is thrilling hence why it would be classed as a thrillseekers ride. We ride them to be thrilled.

EDIT: Also Air pulls 3.5g's during its cycle! Doesn't seem forceless to me
Last edited by Danny on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:13 pm

I think we can all agree that there is plenty to do for all age groups at Alton Towers.
Thrill seekers:
Ripsaw
Nemesis
Rita
Oblivion
The Smiler
Air
Nemesis sub-terra
Submission
Enterprise

Family rides:
Th13teen
Sonic spinball
Charlie and the chocolate factory
Ice age 4d
Blade
Hex
The Flume
River rapids
The runaway mine train

Younger guests:
CBeebies land
Wobble world
Driving school
Frog hopper

Now this is sorted let's give the Smiler some discussion :lol: :)

Kirsty25

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:33 pm

OK Guys, I don't really want to end up locking the topic. Try to stick to Opinions on the Smiler, rather than getting into heated discussions about other rides and attractions. :)

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:37 pm

OK, so like it or not, I dislike the smiler, I've given my reasons above, disagree with it if you want, that's me done.

NemeJaney
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:23 pm

I really like the Smiler, but I'm not sure what the core reason is. It might be how it gives the X-Sector more of a bold atmosphere, or how disorientated I sometimes feel after riding(I like disorientation on coasters).

obliviongirl
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:00 pm

I think that The Smiler is a great addition to the park, and X Sector was the perfect place for it. It has injected some life into an area of the park which was becoming neglected, and has given the area a great theming opportunity. Ok, so the operating time of The Smiler last season was less than exceptional. Most new rollercoasters experience problems of some sort in their first year of operation, even if The Smiler did have a lot more than it probably should have done. However, hopefully for the 2014 season, the majority of these issues will have been somewhat resolved, between the construction of CBeebies Land. I can't offer my personal view on the ride experience of The Smiler just yet, as when I visited last year, it was closed after cracks were found in one of the ride's supports, although I am planning on finally riding in April this year. Still, from what I've seen through POVs of the ride, advertisement and your views, I think it seems like a pretty great rollercoaster. So overall, yes, I think The Smiler was a good decision for the park.  :)

PhoenixStudios
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 pm

The Smiler was a good addition in my opinion. Everyone has only talked about the ride itself, and what I love about The Smiler is also is the other stuff!

A proper shop! And a shop that's had effort put into it! For the first time since Air come to think of it. The detail in the shop is great as well, and there's such a wide range of items than there are on any of the other rides. There has been some genuine effort put in.

Scenery: The Marmaliser. It's just incredible (though I fear it may not be maintained particularly well). A compact layout such as that, with enough space for that monster. Plus the round screen, and when you think of all this, it is incredible.

The Smiler is definitely my #1 ride at AT, Nemesis never left a big impression on me (don't bash me :P ). It's such an intense experience, but still retains an element of fun. Nemesis was good and all, but The Smiler was still hanging in my mind days after we left AT, which Nemesis didn't.

Yes, the 'World-First' claim was gimmicky, but I think it's a break from the normal. I don't really think of it as a world's first, because there're so many more elements that went into the ride that don't contribute to the 14 inversions slogan. I think of it as a prime example of escapism that AT have succeeded in delivering. A great ride by a great mind, one of Wardley's best SW's.
*Credit to Lewis97 for the awesome Signature!

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Definitive Smiler Opinions

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 pm

I have only been on it once and this coaster has been the first for me not to go a couple of times during the season. It maybe my age as most of my friends last went around 10 years ago. I have to agree it was a good design for the space its fitted in but the problems and delays have let this coaster down. I hope it gets a better season this year. 
For the people who hate it what ride should have taken over the black hole site?
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.