UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Ticket Prices To Rise for 2014

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Just noticed on Alton Towers' website that ticket prices have increased yet again. An on the day adult ticket now costs £48, and a child £40.80.

I know the majority of people use special offers to save money, but surely the prices are soon going to reach a point where it is going to make people seriously question if Alton Towers is worth the money, even with the special offers.

What do we think about this latest increase?

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:15 pm

This is where I am glad firstly that I purchased my MAP yesterday and secondly I am an employee from July, I did notice that Towers2 passes have increase to £9.60 including VAT as well
With thanks to lewis97 :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ticket Prices To Rise for 2014

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:22 pm

Bad move, it's the 3rd or 4th year on the run the park has increased get prices and now brings 2-4-1 offers to £24 each which I agree is reasonable and decent. However on days when you can't use these offers for example the fireworks it's OTT even for what it is, if this annual increase continues soon it's going to be too much or too bigger a number to scare people away. I think the move is to try push people into think annual passes are a good idea.

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:25 pm

From the looks of prices over the last few years, it looks like they're just going to get higher and higher over the years. Not really happy about this. Why can't they just keep the same prices every year?

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Did notice this a while ago, but didn't bring it up because it doesn't really affect me
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:33 pm

That is ridiculously expensive. I am sorry but AT is not worth that much.

Martin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:36 pm

Me and John visited Alton Towers 6 times last year.

We are not MAP holders, but not once did we pay full entry price, so there are ways round it. These prices, however, are really getting too high for the average families that are already struggling with the economy in the state it is in.
Last edited by Martin on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BOW TIES ARE COOL!

Inferno Attractions
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:38 pm

WOW!!!  How much did they cost?
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:41 pm

^£46.80 at full price I think
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:43 pm

It is no longer customer focused. It is for the share holders. They have got to make some money for them somewhere.

SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Beyond A Joke.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Slightly ridiculous, especially as a number of rides are closed until May (CBeebies Land).

I think people would accept the prices better if it included Waterpark access. Or they stopped selling fastrack altogether.

But on the subject of it being for the share holders, may I remind you that when it was operated by Tussauds, Persons was a public company as well;) and most people consider that period to have been the Golden Days!

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:59 pm

It is too much to get in! I understand that they have to make money but they could increase the prices on something else!
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 pm

People who pay full price and complain about how much it is really need to question themselves why they paid full price! I mean yes it's unfortunate they're increasing their price, but it's logical with the amount of 2 for1 tickets they're putting out everywhere, so £24 each isn't too bad, or £36 online with ERT included.
Last edited by DeanGaryCox on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image 2014

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:21 pm

The biggest shock is the price for kids now. Nearly £41 for a child is a rip off, why can't they get rid of the 2 for 1 vouchers and charge £25 for Adults and £12.50 for kids under 1.4m not 11. If a small family park like Drayton can offer this I'm sure the world's 2nd biggest company behind Disney can at least offer the same. I also feel that Alton Towers now isn't good value for money with earlier closing times compared to the Tussuards days.
Last edited by Themeparksandy1981 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:25 pm

2 for 1 vouchers are entirely part of their pricing strategy. I've been to a talk at Thorpe Park where they highlighted that in a year when they didn't run the offer, gate figures noticeably dropped. I would assume that the same applies to Alton Towers, as it provides major publicity and also creates the illusion that guests are getting a good deal.

Kendalgal
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:31 pm

Themeparksandy1981 wrote:
The biggest shock is the price for kids now. Nearly £41 for a child is a rip off, why can't they get rid of the 2 for 1 vouchers and charge £25 for Adults and £12.50 for kids under 1.4m not 11. If a small family park like Drayton can offer this I'm sure the world's 2nd biggest company behind Disney can at least offer the same. I also feel that Alton Towers now isn't good value for money with earlier closing times compared to the Tussuards days.

Its 12 they start charging adult prices.

My daughter is 11 this year and only 1.3m. I doubt she'll grow that much by next year when she is 12 yet I will be paying for an adult!!! Can't even get away with it as they ask them now how old they are and I couldn't ask her to lie.
Mum to Hollie (9) & Madison (5)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:12 am

I took my niece to Drayton Manor in 2006 and she was 7 at the time and she was tall enough then to go on upto 1.2m rides. Took her again in 2010 at 11 years old and she could go on anything. But I think now they should class kids upto 18 years old now as they have to stay to school to this age. So it's the parents who be footing the bill. Non of the people I work with go to Theme parks as they say a day out to a theme park for a family of 4 costs a minimum of £150 which covers park tickets(2 for 1 tickets),parking and petrol.
They say after all the bills been paid,food,clothes etc and they had £150 left for the month that money would go towards a family holiday for a week which they could all enjoy.

rcopus
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:55 am

BenBowser wrote:
But on the subject of it being for the share holders, may I remind you that when it was operated by Tussauds, Persons was a public company as well;) and most people consider that period to have been the Golden Days!

You're spot on there dude.
I think it was a different business model though, Tussauds seemed to be more savvy with their money and did a good amount of 'value creation' by performing good investments and making the customer feel like they were getting good value for money.
Whilst Tussauds did increase ticket prices they did buy and install things like virtual queuing.
Merlin only seems to do 'just enough' and mainly increases revenue by charging for things which were previously 'free' and year on year increases (car parking fees, increased ticket prices, pay for fast-track etc).

I know some of you will point to the fact Merlin have given us things like The Smiler but in my opinion such investments have been infrequent and poor. Merlin may spend as much if not more than Tussauds ever did (I haven't checked) but if they do then their suppliers must take them to the cleaners compared to when Tussauds run it...

ADM182
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:44 am

Well to be fair it works out at 2.56% increase which with inflation AT are simply maintaining their operational margins, if you want a great SW8/9/10 you have to understand that it needs to be paid for, simples!

As many others have said there is always a (99% of the time) 2-4-1 or early booking discount and I've never paid full price I don't think, and if you take that in to account its actually not bad at all!