UK theme parks from another point of view!

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Bad weather, snow, possible flooding at Alton Towers?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:11 pm

I know there will be many people with flooded houses and businesses around the country at the moment, and this is not a priority and sounds selfish, but is there any news from anybody near Alton Towers that knows if they are, or could be flooding on local roads to access Alton Towers? Can the park be victim to flooding?

Can anybody update this over the half term opening weekend?
Last edited by Mark.aa on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattiepearce
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Bad weather ,snow,possible flooding at alton towers?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:24 pm

On the left and hand side of the home page (http://www.towerstimes.co.uk/) there is a weather update from the towers if that helps!
Last edited by mattiepearce on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously known as Coastermadpearce.

Ology of the mind
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Bad weather ,snow,possible flooding at alton towers?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Mark.aa wrote:
I know there will be many people with flooded houses and businesses around the country at the moment, and this is not a priority and sounds selfish, but is there any news from anybody near Alton Towers that knows if they are, or could be flooding on local roads to access Alton Towers? Can the park be victim to flooding?

Can anybody update this over the half term opening weekend?

Keep an eye on this :)

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ver%20dove
Last edited by Ology of the mind on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Bad weather, snow, possible flooding at Alton Towers?

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Since Alton Towers isn't near the sea, I don't really see the resort flooding.

Kimberley
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 pm

lf2001 wrote:

The majority of the flooding in the UK right now is due to rising river/lake levels as a result of high amounts of rainfall. This has led to the water table being at record levels, which results in ground flooding as the water has nowhere else to go. Therefore, although Towers isn't near the sea, some areas could still be at a risk of flooding due to the reasons as stated above, though the significance is difficult to predict.
Thanks to Danny for the signature (:

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 pm

The majority of Alton Towers is very high above sea level however with the recent snow and rain, there could be problems in the valley or such places prone to flooding (The Smiler) and Nemesis' problematic rising waters.

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:18 pm

lf2001 wrote:

Nether is reading,maindenhead ,windsor,ways bury,

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:22 pm

There may be a lot of water around due to the high groundwater levels, the road at the bottom of the valley (by the Alton bridge pub) may be affected, but the park won't be. Some snow isn't a huge issue (I've ridden Obivion in snow!), but heavy snow and cold temperatures stop rides working, they had a lot of issues at half term last year with RMT and the coasters only being able to open about midday as they needed to warm up.

Mark.aa
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 pm

That's why I ask as I was there for half term last year in the snow. Park looked amazing in snow. But out of the limited number of rides open half term nearly another half were closed.
But No Air, Nemesis, Oblivion, RMT, Sonic Spinball due to ice on track and cold brittle tracks (staff quoted 5deg minimum operating temp).
Air and Nemesis did run at about 2pm with water dummies to clear ice off tracks and try to warm up bearings and wheels did go into service.
Oblivion did not due to icicles in the under ground tunnel and fear of falling on riders.
Sonic apparatly run once park closed as they feared a stampede if they did test runs, thinking ride was open.
Toilets frozen in pizza pasta no running water, nearest toilets were near Duel's if eating at resteraunt.
Did joke with staff at sea life is it open or had that frozen too.
Did see some idiots walking and sliding on the ice on the win a car lake.
They did give out free return tickets up until June for advance ticket holders and fast pass to annual pass holders.
Don't want to go through that again as had phoned day before was operating in snow ad was told yes, then had 3hour drive.
Did complain about no mention of weather may affect rides working below freezing temperatures  affecting park operation on website when I checked at 6am before leaving, got a stay at Alton Towers hotel for £99 for me and 2 children :D Next day was back to normal (only came for 1day no spare clothes).
Was so impressed with towers hotels with this first time stay have now stayed in both since.
Last edited by Mark.aa on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smiler983
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:12 am

BBC weather saying that sunday is the best day at the moment so not to bad. Think in all the many years that lakes been there I cant ever remember it flooding.

scw55
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Where I live, winds are a huge problem (college closed at lunch yeaterday. Some courses closed due to no attendance due to people unable to come in/people pretending they cannot come in)

AT may be sheltered though as it is in-land. Though England is very flat, so who knows?

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Yes, we went for fireworks one year and the entire park was shut due to highwinds.

Currently I would expect wind is most likely  (out of any adverse weather) to cause issues for half term. Low temperatures aren't really being forecast so snow/ice/cold probably won't be an issue and flooding/water issues may affect roads but not the park.

Fatnorville
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:00 pm

I once visited the park and we had a mid summer torrential downpour. All the water hit the tarmac'ed carpark, and ran downhill into Splash Landings hotel. The water was cascading down the stairs into the restaurant.

Some bright spark put a plank across the doorway to stop some of the torrent but to little success.

A brighter spark stood at the doorway handing towels to all the drenched guests entering the hotel. I hope one day they make him the Head of AT, because he cared.

So yes, based on personal experience AT does flood.