UK theme parks from another point of view!

ST-Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:04 pm

i was very disappointed yesterday

bins that were still full from the day before
tv/monitors around park not working
indoor smiler projector not working properly all day, even at 10am...
smiler Q still a swamp
lights turned on inside indoor section of the smiler
rides breaking down

Q'd for 13, broke down
Q'd for air, broke down
Oblivion down
Q'd for nemesis.. broke down (first time ive ever seen it down in x amount of yrs ive been going)

ThemeParkFanaticUK
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:00 pm

ST-Chris wrote:

smiler Q still a swamp
rides breaking down

Q'd for 13, broke down
Q'd for air, broke down
Oblivion down
Q'd for nemesis.. broke down (first time ive ever seen it down in x amount of yrs ive been going)

Plus the horrid state The Smiler's track is in, looks like its been there for 20 years never mind 10 months! :cry:

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:17 pm

ST-Chris wrote:

smiler Q still a swamp
rides breaking down

Q'd for 13, broke down
Q'd for air, broke down
Oblivion down

If this was Sunday you are on about I feel you were just very unlucky on your timing of rides the only two rides I experienced down time on were The Smiler and Nemmy, Nemmy was only because someone's stomach didn't quite agree with the ride so clean up halted operation. I do agree with some of the other things you have said, air no longer has any tv screens, they have been removed, the projectors in the correctional block weren't running the project mapping and instead you could see the windows program's that run the mapping, pleased that areas have been repainted within the smiler although it was obvious as the paint wasn't quite right unfortunately :(

One thing I do need to praise the maintenance team on though is how quickly they fix certain things because upon arrival someone had gone through the fence at the corner from the road into the parks towards the car parks by the end of the day new fencing was up and no one would know all in all a pretty decent day for me :)
With thanks to lewis97 :)

ST-Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:18 pm

haha yeah i seen that car just before the carpark in the ditch, airbags gone off and front end all smashed up!

blatantly took the corner too fast

and yeah tbf i did notice the fence was fixed on the way out!

also did anyone else notice the blue light in the air tunnel, that was added at scarefest is now red?

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:22 pm

ST-Chris wrote:
haha yeah i seen that car just before the carpark in the ditch, airbags gone off and front end all smashed up!

blatantly took the corner too fast

and yeah tbf i did notice the fence was fixed on the way out!

also did anyone else notice the blue light in the air tunnel, that was added at scarefest is now red?

I noticed that too have to admit preferred the blue light looked more in keeping
With thanks to lewis97 :)

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:55 pm

I noticed earlier today that one of the fastracks (think it was gold) still has submission as a ride that guests can skip the queue. Obviously they cant as it isn't there so is this because AT haven't finished updating the website or have they missed it (I figured it would be done for opening day)???

Also looked at VIP packages and couldn't believe that front row seating was one of the perks. Its bad enough that parts of the coaster (Usually the best bit, like the back) are saved for fast trackers (which has always annoyed me as they have paid for the privilege of skipping the queue, not best seating so really it should be those who've queued two hours who get the chance for best seating) and they are allowing people to claim priority to seats which already have a stupidly long queue waiting for them (Especially Rita).

:D :D :D

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:18 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:
Also looked at VIP packages and couldn't believe that front row seating was one of the perks. Its bad enough that parts of the coaster (Usually the best bit, like the back) are saved for fast trackers (which has always annoyed me as they have paid for the privilege of skipping the queue, not best seating so really it should be those who've queued two hours who get the chance for best seating) and they are allowing people to claim priority to seats which already have a stupidly long queue waiting for them (Especially Rita).

I think if people are willing to spend the money then why shouldn't they be able to get the better seats and the perks. After all, they are willing to pay extra to make their day extra special. As a Platinum fast track user (have used on every trip I have had to AT) I do feel that we should be allowed to have the best seats. I used to think that Platinum fast track users should be able to have chosen any seat they wanted, including front row. But now, I am willing to pay the money for the Ultimate VIP package because you actually get a lot for your money.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Fast tracks are to skip the queue, not get best seats, which is why I think fast trackers should enter the queue about 10 mins before the station giving fast trackers and people who have spent 2 hours of their day queuing, equal opportunity to get the best seats.
I just don't think it's fair for VIPs to have front row riding all day, maybe once and have a ticket similar to a fast track with every ride on that a ride attendant can cross off. It would really pee me off if I was queuing extra for front row on nemesis as a group off 4 VIP plat plus decided to ride front row four times in a row. I understand they've paid extra to have extra privileges but this shouldn't affect they day of those who haven't, which if a front row queue isn't going down because of some VIPs then that would affect the guests day. That is what I think is wrong.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:51 pm

I don't think they can ride over and over. They have to actually get off the train and leave the station before being allowed to ride again. I don't think it will have a big affect with queue times . maybe just 2 minutes, unless you get a huge party of like 20 people, which is highly doubt full. Most fast track users do end up having to queue in the normal queue, when they fast track gate is open. During scarefest i had platinum fast track and still had to queue in the normal queue on Nemesis and Air

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:17 am

People seem a little bit confused about Fastrack. Regardless of whether the Fastrack queue mergers with the main queue, or has a separate batching point, the ride host is trained to ensure that both queues continue to move as freely as possible. That includes stopping any fastrack queue, to enable to main queue to continue to move. If a platinum fastracker decides to re-ride repeatedly, they would still have a wait time (albeit minimal).

The VIP packages are priced to be a rarity. I don't doubt they'll sell, but I don't believe they will manage sell to the capacity that would really begin to affect queue times. Interestingly, Merlin will purchase new investments based on fastrack potential. The likes of The Smiler wouldn't have had such a budget if there was no additional revenue to be made.

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Visit on a day like today, and won't need fast track with everything (besides the smiler and air at times) had a minimal wait or walk on, never had that on sonic spin ball before, was so happy! I must say I was quite shocked and pleased that they ran nemesis and Rita on two trains when for how many people were in the park it wasn't really needed!

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:47 am

DeanGaryCox wrote:
Visit on a day like today, and won't need fast track with everything (besides the smiler and air at times) had a minimal wait or walk on, never had that on sonic spin ball before, was so happy! I must say I was quite shocked and pleased that they ran nemesis and Rita on two trains when for how many people were in the park it wasn't really needed!

This is one of the things that I think makes Alton Towers very different to Thorpe Park, when they have two trains available and working they run both. As much as everyone complained about selected rides opening at 11am, having two train operation on the coasters is a much better thing than not being able to get on Hex before 11am!

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:01 am

i went yesterday, i enjoyed it a lot, must have done oblivion 7 times on early ride time, then walked through the smiler single rider at 10, 1 person waiting, they let us single riders up first, 4 of us, and straight onto the front row , first train of the day, haha.

When we walked to oblivion someone was queuing for the smiler from 9am, think they weren't best pleased when she got on the second row.

The queue times were great all day, every ride pretty much walk on , the weather in the afternoon got a bit dodgy, but a good coat,gloves and hat and it was fine :-)

ST-Chris
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 pm

did anyone notice theyve removed the annual pass entrance this year?

or was i bein stupid?

Balb0wa
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:59 pm

ST-Chris wrote:
did anyone notice theyve removed the annual pass entrance this year?

or was i bein stupid?

Not sure there is a pass entrance these days, you can use the pass on all the turn style machines.

evenstar120
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Ok people. I am visiting the park tomorrow, I realise as it is the weekend it is likely to be busier but I didn't have any other option. I am planning on getting there for 9am, my only question is, whether I need to get off the monorail and wait for the turnstiles to open, or whether there is a dedicated pass collection area? Will I be allowed into the park for ERT? Can anyone advise??

Altonboy001
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:32 pm

evenstar120 wrote:
Ok people. I am visiting the park tomorrow, I realise as it is the weekend it is likely to be busier but I didn't have any other option. I am planning on getting there for 9am, my only question is, whether I need to get off the monorail and wait for the turnstiles to open, or whether there is a dedicated pass collection area? Will I be allowed into the park for ERT? Can anyone advise??

You will be let in and you will be able to go on rides since you have a anual pass

DeanGaryCox
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Balb0wa wrote:
i went yesterday, i enjoyed it a lot, must have done oblivion 7 times on early ride time, then walked through the smiler single rider at 10, 1 person waiting, they let us single riders up first, 4 of us, and straight onto the front row , first train of the day, haha.

When we walked to oblivion someone was queuing for the smiler from 9am, think they weren't best pleased when she got on the second row.

The queue times were great all day, every ride pretty much walk on , the weather in the afternoon got a bit dodgy, but a good coat,gloves and hat and it was fine :-)

I was also on the first train of yesterday.. Arrived about 9.40, got 3 goes on oblivion then went on with my dad through the disabled entrance and got on the 3rd row, I wondered why the girl was getting annoyed in the 2nd row, and as she got off asked the attendant on the exit side what the name of the woman batching was haha!

newrider
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:08 am

Lee wrote:
People seem a little bit confused about Fastrack. Regardless of whether the Fastrack queue mergers with the main queue, or has a separate batching point, the ride host is trained to ensure that both queues continue to move as freely as possible. That includes stopping any fastrack queue, to enable to main queue to continue to move. If a platinum fastracker decides to re-ride repeatedly, they would still have a wait time (albeit minimal).

The VIP packages are priced to be a rarity. I don't doubt they'll sell, but I don't believe they will manage sell to the capacity that would really begin to affect queue times. Interestingly, Merlin will purchase new investments based on fastrack potential. The likes of The Smiler wouldn't have had such a budget if there was no additional revenue to be made.

Want to know how many Platinum Fasttacks Alton Towers are prepared to sell per day?

It's 50.

How do I know this magical number?

Use google chrome's web developer tools (F12) to change the drop down on Alton Towers website from 10 to varying numbers - in my case 50 - and then try and buy that many fastracks on a day far into the future where nobody would have bought any yet. Any greater than 50 results in a "you cannot buy this quantity" error.

I guess it could be some other limit being hit, but it does sound about right... And their website has to know the limit since it's able to say "only 4 left!" etc.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:54 am

newrider wrote:
Want to know how many Platinum Fasttacks Alton Towers are prepared to sell per day?

It's 50.

How do I know this magical number?

Use google chrome's web developer tools (F12) to change the drop down on Alton Towers website from 10 to varying numbers - in my case 50 - and then try and buy that many fastracks on a day far into the future where nobody would have bought any yet. Any greater than 50 results in a "you cannot buy this quantity" error.

It's not necessarily 50, it's just 50 per person
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.