UK theme parks from another point of view!

Chaz
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Fri May 16, 2014 11:14 am

^thats the general public for you. Sometimes words cannot describe their stupidity!
1ne, 2wo, 3hree, 4our, 5ive, 6ix, se7en, ei8ht, 9ine, t10n, e11even, tw12ve, th13teen

[url=http://www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;]www.facebook.com/charliemarsh7[/url]

RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 28, 2014 12:19 pm

I just seen a video of Rita on instagram and noticed that the skyride was stopped with people in it, does anyone know if it's having any problems or if it just stopped for a minute like walkways? :)

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Wed May 28, 2014 12:27 pm

RCandrew wrote:
I just seen a video of Rita on instagram and noticed that the skyride was stopped with people in it, does anyone know if it's having any problems or if it just stopped for a minute like walkways? :)

Occasionally the Skyride will stop briefly to allow guests with pushchairs/wheelchairs to board safely.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed May 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Sorry to double post but I've just noticed that Alton Towers have altered the way that rides are displayed on RideTimes.

They are now under seperate headings (Family & Thrill) so it is easier to find the attraction you're looking for.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Wed May 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Having just read some of the long term development plan, i noticed this

"In the second phase of the Long Term Plan the connection between the existing
hotel area and the Theme Park would be reinforced with indoor and outdoor
attractions. This would enable the development of a fully integrated Resort
attraction."

Does this mean we could see some more attractions outside of the main park, that hotel guests can use while the park is closed?
Or does it mean something else?

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Thu May 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Dom wrote:
Having just read some of the long term development plan, i noticed this

"In the second phase of the Long Term Plan the connection between the existing
hotel area and the Theme Park would be reinforced with indoor and outdoor
attractions. This would enable the development of a fully integrated Resort
attraction."

Does this mean we could see some more attractions outside of the main park, that hotel guests can use while the park is closed?
Or does it mean something else?

Yes, hasn't there been a rumour that Spinball will move near the hotel and be used all year round?

Sr88
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:29 pm

sully1311 wrote:
Yes, hasn't there been a rumour that Spinball will move near the hotel and be used all year round?

Well I certainly hope the hotels are soundproof enough!

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:31 pm

I'm sure I've heard that rumour before, however now we know that the field next to the hotels is going to be more accommodation, I can't see where else they will put Sonic, or any other coasters/rides for that matter. Also I think it would be very hard for them to get permission to do that now, considering the Enchanted Village got turned down once and the plans had to be altered.

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:29 am

As well Sonic is hardly the quietest of rides, back at Scaremazing when we were having the talk with Pete Cliff you could clearly hear sonic go round through the walls. Admittedly it isnt a brick wall like at the hotel but Im sure you would still be able to hear it.

Altonboy001
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Alex wrote:
As well Sonic is hardly the quietest of rides, back at Scaremazing when we were having the talk with Pete Cliff you could clearly hear sonic go round through the walls. Admittedly it isnt a brick wall like at the hotel but Im sure you would still be able to hear it.

It will be closed at night when people are sleeping, in the day peeps wont mind cus they will probs be in splash or the wonderland etc

Alex
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 pm

blunj001 wrote:
Alex wrote:

It will be closed at night when people are sleeping, in the day peeps wont mind cus they will probs be in splash or the wonderland etc

I had realised it would be closed at night ;) I was more talking about people in the spa, its hardly tranquil if you have a roller coaster whizzing around

Altonboy001
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:55 pm

Alex wrote:
blunj001 wrote:
Alex wrote:

I had realised it would be closed at night ;) I was more talking about people in the spa, its hardly tranquil if you have a roller coaster whizzing around

Thats true.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:56 pm

I would have thought the smiler would have brought in a much bigger attendance than a 4.2% increase. Thats a little concerning considering Chessington by adding nothing increased by 15.4% and Thorpe did nothing to get a 11.1% increase (well except brave it backwards but i don't think that count).

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Maybe the fact that The Smiler had a less than smooth opening and had numerous bouts of ongoing downtime had a negative impact on guest numbers. I think if The Smiler had opened on time and been operational all season Towers would have seen a much more significant increase.

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:40 pm

Having had a look at the 2010 figures, to compare 2013 to Th13teen's opening year, it shows that there was a smaller 3.8% increase in gate numbers, however there were approximately 2.75million guests. Like Dan.N said, the perhaps lower than expected increase most likely comes down to the fact The Smiler had far from perfect operation last year. Although, I would have thought other factors, such as people cutting back on spending, may also have contributed to the lower amount of guests.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 am

sw7nutter wrote:
I would have thought the smiler would have brought in a much bigger attendance than a 4.2% increase. Thats a little concerning considering Chessington by adding nothing increased by 15.4% and Thorpe did nothing to get a 11.1% increase (well except brave it backwards but i don't think that count).

Thorpe have done a big push last season and now this season on season passes, where you can buy a season ticket for the same as a s full priced ticket. I expect this would hugely encourage repeat visits as if you go three times in the season for £48 its better than 2for1s. This sort of approach to ticketing is probably helping Thorpe.

For Chessington obviously Zufari was a big draw even if it doesn't quite live up to some expectations. I think Chessington will keep growing park numbers, but they need to invest in high capacity attractions as well as refurbishments.

Bladepicker
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:24 pm

First time poster to these forums, so hi all!

Just back from a 2 day break to AT having not been for about 5 years - despite only living about 35 minutes away! This is mainly due to moving house and having two newborns which kinda took precedence.

However, for my first time there with my wife, 3 year old and one year old, can I say what an absolutely wonderful time we all had! in the intervening 5 years we did get to go to Disneyland Paris and Parc Asterix as well as Thorpe Park, yet nothing that any of them have to offer comes anywhere near to Nemesis in my opinion. You forget what a blistering ride that is, so intense all the way round - my favourite stell coaster I have ever been on anywhere! Well played B&M.

Stayed in Splash Landings and the service, themeing and room was fabntastic, especially for my kids, they thought it was amazing. Breakfast was wonderful too but make sure you get there for 7.30! We did and got sat straight down, by 8.15 there was a massive queue to get in which looked longer than to ride Smiler!

ERT on CeeBeebies was a must with kiddies - got to take my one year old on all the rides which he loved, as the queues of up to 60 minutes after ERT was over were just not practical with young un's - I think they could perfect loading a little quicker as they do at Disney - the staff were often letting boats go round the ITNG ride at half capacity, instead of shouting for any sets of two or fours to fill them up. I suspect as the newness wears off and less footfall hits it, the rides will be back to more managable levels. When it got busy we had some time on thrill rides but there were things in cloud cuckoo land both kids could go on, and I was happy/suprised my three year old being just over 1m, could go on RMT, Blade, Rapids, Flume, Enterprise, Charlie and RMT and Rapids several times again with me or my wife, she loved it.

Another good tip for parents of kids under 1.4m - get a parents pass thingy (not the official name!) from guest services. It means when one of you queues to get on a big ride, they will tick the card for that ride as you get on (even via SR). then hand it to your partner and they can go via fasttrack to save you queing twice.

at 4.30 each day, as the kids were tires, we went to forbidden valley and there were no queues at all for air or nemesis. rode air once and nemesis four times back to back - amazing stuff!

The Thrill rides were great as always and queus not too bad, well done Alton Towers, it really is a gem of a park if you do it corectly - heard loads moaning about wait times at the hotel but then these people had stayed in bed rather than take up ERT - so they get what they deserve! Brilliant place - defo be getting the Annual Passes again next year.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Has anyone else seen that the AT Twitter team are going to be on hand to reply to tweets from 9am tomorrow until 6pm on Monday.

More importantly does anyone know what this is in aid of?

Lrobr
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Hi guys can anyone tell me how busy the park is usually on a Monday? The reason for asking is that I'm planning to go this coming Monday but after checking this site http://www.towersalmanac.com/need_to_kn ... _dates.php

It seems that Sundays and Mondays are deemed quite busy? Or is this intact a mistake as I would have expected Saturdays to at least be busier than is showing on that site?

Many thanks!

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Lrobr wrote:
Hi guys can anyone tell me how busy the park is usually on a Monday? The reason for asking is that I'm planning to go this coming Monday but after checking this site http://www.towersalmanac.com/need_to_kn ... _dates.php

It seems that Sundays and Mondays are deemed quite busy? Or is this intact a mistake as I would have expected Saturdays to at least be busier than is showing on that site?

Many thanks!

This coming Monday should be quite quiet. School trips don't tend to start until the end of June, and the majority of people are still at college/university. I would hazard a guess at The Smiler peaking at around 90 minutes in the morning but settling down to about 45 in the afternoon, with most other coasters around 20/30 minutes.

The above site isnt useful for gauging when it'll be busy as they still have the opening times and dates from a couple of seasons ago, so it isn't at all accurate.