UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
Limabeancross
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 3
Joined: March 2012

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:18 pm

I went yesterday (Tues). As someone said above, it was very busy! Didn't even contemplate the smiler as we didn't get there early enough and I hate queuing too much.

Getting back to the topic though, the river rapids was closed for essential maintenance. I looked on the website today and it's still closed. Anyone know what maintenance they're doing? It was disappointing as I took my girlfriend who hasn't been since she was young, and being a hot day we wanted to go on something wet! And for most of the day the queue for the flume was 60mins plus. Presumably because the rapids were closed. Can't they do this maintenance at the start of the season or before the middle of summer???
 
User avatar
NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: May 2014
Location: Praising John Wardley

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Limabeancross wrote:
I went yesterday (Tues). As someone said above, it was very busy! Didn't even contemplate the smiler as we didn't get there early enough and I hate queuing too much.

Getting back to the topic though, the river rapids was closed for essential maintenance. I looked on the website today and it's still closed. Anyone know what maintenance they're doing? It was disappointing as I took my girlfriend who hasn't been since she was young, and being a hot day we wanted to go on something wet! And for most of the day the queue for the flume was 60mins plus. Presumably because the rapids were closed. Can't they do this maintenance at the start of the season or before the middle of summer???

Limabeancross, I'm sure if you speak to customer service they can sort something out. If you tell them you came with the intention of riding the river rapids they will help. It could be anything from fastracks to 2 more tickets.

However, I am lucky enough to have had good dealings with customer service many people have not. So, do not take my word as the only source of information.

As for the maintenance question, it was probably necessary to keep the ride running properly.
 
User avatar
RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 429
Joined: May 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm

I just saw on Twitter that for a week only AT are testing a new ERT which is all of CBeebies land and X-Sector, why is this and what do you think about it?
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Smiler is currently on that ERT list :o http://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/early-ride-time/

Kinda sad seeing there is no FV open for ERT during that week, that means everyone will be piling into x-sector :dizzy:
 
User avatar
RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 429
Joined: May 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah like I said it's just CBeebies land and X-sector so that side of the park will be packed within that hour :-s
 
User avatar
Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous
Posts: 2611
Joined: December 2010
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire
Contact:

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Two new VIP packages will be launched in the next couple days according to AT facebook.
 
thedman31
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 44
Joined: September 2011

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Cool. Anyone have any ideas why and what they may contain?
 
thedman31
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 44
Joined: September 2011

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Just realised that this is just for vip on day and not vip annual pass. Was about to say isn't it a bit premature to be introducing new vip annual passes already : ) hmmmm would predict some unhappy people if these new features offer stuff not on the VIP annual pass. What does everyone else think?
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1848
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Not really sure what else they can include, maybe something to do with cbeebies land and splash landings?
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
stageshoot
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 66
Joined: June 2014
Location: Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:11 pm

The wording of it says

VIP packages purchaseable on the day. As the existing packages need pre booking. I get the feeling these will be like the existing Platinum packages but with the option to buy them on the day rather than in advance. I doubt at this time of year it will be anything completely new.
 
User avatar
Mark-Cal
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 43
Joined: January 2014
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 pm

RCandrew wrote:
I just saw on Twitter that for a week only AT are testing a new ERT which is all of CBeebies land and X-Sector, why is this and what do you think about it?


Nooooooo !!!!!!!!
I love my Nemesis ERT, dash in through the woodland walk, front row ride before anyone else even gets there, then half an hour of B&M goodness before a nice stroll across the valley to RITA while the hoards head to X Sector.

My life is ruined ! :no:
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:52 pm

This is ridiculous.

We're sacrificing Nemesis, The Blade, Duel, Runaway Mine Train, Sharkbait Reef, plus others in exchange for The Smiler and Enterprise.

I thoroughly dislike this idea and hope that after the trial they revert back to the old ERT.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
User avatar
RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 429
Joined: May 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Mark-Cal wrote:
RCandrew wrote:
I just saw on Twitter that for a week only AT are testing a new ERT which is all of CBeebies land and X-Sector, why is this and what do you think about it?


Nooooooo !!!!!!!!
I love my Nemesis ERT, dash in through the woodland walk, front row ride before anyone else even gets there, then half an hour of B&M goodness before a nice stroll across the valley to RITA while the hoards head to X Sector.

My life is ruined ! :no:


That is exactly what I done!

But why do you think they're trying it??
 
Burniel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1924
Joined: June 2013
Location: Dragon's Fury's SRQ

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 pm

RCandrew wrote:
But why do you think they're trying it??

Maybe so that the newer rides have lower queues throughout the day because people have already done them? That's the only justifiable reason I can think of.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.
 
User avatar
RCandrew
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 429
Joined: May 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Dan.B wrote:
RCandrew wrote:
But why do you think they're trying it??

Maybe so that the newer rides have lower queues throughout the day because people have already done them? That's the only justifiable reason I can think of.


That's a good point, they're the busiest areas atm.
 
User avatar
NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: May 2014
Location: Praising John Wardley

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 pm

I hope/expect it might die down soon.

Can't believe what AT have done...
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2399
Joined: June 2009

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm

It sort of makes sense when you think about it.

The Smiler pretty much always has a long queue, and is always the longest queue on park. This means that a lot of people are spending a lot of time in X-Sector, when they could be in other areas of the park.

Having The Smiler on ERT will help reduce the amount of people in X-Sector after 10 o'clock, as quite a few people will have already ridden it and will go off elsewhere.

My only concern is how The Smiler will cope with an extra hours running. I'm not sure i'd want them to keep ERT like this permanently but if the trial works well I can see them keeping it.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2737
Joined: May 2013
Location: Warwickshire

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:05 pm

The Smiler has been opening 10-15 minutes early on some days over the past couple of weeks, which suggests the resort have been preparing for this change in some small way. The fact they are only trialling it for a week suggests they are aware of potential issues and therefore are not committing themselves to a permanent change.

I do wonder if we may see a few combinations of ERT rides on trial over the coming weeks. The resort do state that the line-up is subject to change at any time. Perhaps they are using this as an opportunity to see what works best in combination for all guests, or even as other people have suggested seeing if it helps disperse crowds from X-Sector.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Danny
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 2498
Joined: February 2013
Location: Essex

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:23 am

I think they are doing this so that most of the hotel guests will have done Oblivion and The Smiler by 10am so you'd think they would be leaving x sector as normal guests are coming in.
I think to keep The Smilers queues down its a good idea, but hate that it's all on one side. At least Nemesis and Bladd to spread th crowds both ways
 
User avatar
NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: May 2014
Location: Praising John Wardley

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:04 am

I assume you mean all the guests would go to the same side of the park...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 196 guests