UK theme parks from another point of view!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:15 pm

Looks so much better now, looked hideous in the summer last year!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:40 pm

New ride survey:survey.altontowers.com/s/2015-survey-01

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:42 pm

TTheory wrote:
New ride survey:survey.altontowers.com/s/2015-survey-01

The link is broken.

Also I've already taken the survey. It starts out by asking how you rate each attraction out of 10, before meandering off onto The Enchanted Village (how did you hear about it etc)

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Alton Towers is to offer a practical education course for people who are interested in getting into the Leisure and tourism industry. The Foundation Degree has been developed in partnership with Staffordshire University's Business School. The Foundation Degree will be in Visitor Attraction and Resort Management. It will combine a 2 year course with 18 weeks paid work experience at the park. It will start of with 20 students and the course will start in September. The course will cover key areas of the business including Operations and commercial management, Health and Safety, Strategic management, Marketing and digital management, financial, human resource management and customer service.

I think this will be a very good opportunity for people.

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm

So I wasn't sure where to put this but, on the NUS website it says from May 2015 you can try the Big Six Challenge including The Smiler. Does this mean tickets start from May, or is this something new? Considering they include a section on Octonauts Coaster, is this a new activity, or are they referring to Fast tracks?

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra/disc ... 6&top=1666

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:48 pm

NUS Discount has been around for many years and is usually up to 40% off. It may just be a badly worded advertisement and something worth checking with the NUS Extra team about.

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:08 pm

As reported on TowersTimes News the admission price for an on the day ticket has now broken the £50 barrier with a one day ticket costing £50.40. I think alot of people suspected the price might pass this point this season, and it's no-where near the £59.99 Thorpe Park charge on peak days, however, it's still quite a significant psychological barrier in some people's minds which could put some people off.

I know there are BOGOF vouchers and other offers, however I think this increase will make alot of people think very carefully about their visit. I do wonder if the on the day prices being raised in this way is partially as a result of the sheer abundance of 2 for 1 offers - so many people use them, therefore the resort has to raise prices to make sure they still get a reasonable return.

Michelle
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:03 am

My friends thought the BOGOF price was too expensive last year, let alone now. They like Alton Towers but I feel this price hike will probably be enough to put them off a visit in a year with no new coaster.
Price rises are understandable in business and usually just a matter of course but I really feel the new prices at AT and Thorpe are a tad too greedy in the minds of the consumer.
If the cause is abundance of BOGOF then maybe they should reconsider how much they flood the market with them?

Echo Rider
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:39 am

I agree that £50pp does look steep but if you book a week ahead it's £37 (and two days for £45) which I would say is pretty good value when compared to similar days out.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:49 am

Building on what michelle and lakey have said, 2-4-1 offers is one way to look at the reason for the price hike but also if I remember rightly, it was mentioned or I was told directly merlin are aiming to get more and more people to buy and own Merlin annual passes and this is certainly one way to do it. If the normal consumer looks at the normal on the gate price then looks at standard AP price they might think well over next I'm probably going to visit another time or even to other attractions on the pass its worth it.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Wouldn't it also encourage people to get the merlin pass, because then they could save money and go multiple times?

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:47 pm

sum1mad wrote:
Wouldn't it also encourage people to get the merlin pass, because then they could save money and go multiple times?

Yes I just said that above :P

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:50 pm

That's the idea, I assume.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:13 pm

I think though more Annual Passes (mainly attraction specific ones) would encourage people to do more day trips. Doesn't that defeat the main objective of the LTDP? I mean the idea that the want AT to be a short break resort. I believe that was one of the main reasons why they built the Enchanted Village...

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:19 pm

You could take that outlook, or you could come from the perspective that people will want to fully exploit their annual pass and do so by spending a couple of days at the resort, staying over as a result.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:33 pm

I guess it depends on the pass type.

If you have an AT annual pass and live within a distance that would make it OK for just day trips (this isn't a solid value but I'd guess about 2:30 hours away would be the furthest in this range) you'd probably just not stay over and drive down every day.

However, if you had a Merlin pass then you'd most probably either stay over because it's far away but if was close you might stay over at another attraction (as AT is fairly far away from most other Merlin attractions.

I guess it could explain why they don't push the AT annual pass as much as they push the Thorpe annual pass. I mean, if AT only passes get them less overnight stays.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:09 pm

TBH when we had MAPs and did multi-day trips to AT, we would stay over in a travelodge and drive 15/20 minutes to the park the next morning, even though we only live 2 hours away. These multi-day visits were rare though as we would just visit more weekends rather than less and stay over.

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:59 pm

Just going to leave this here.....Alton towers park map official of 2015, this was updated onto the alton towers website normally I know it's big release or first look in the sun but guess this years different anyway no change really same layout and graphics just the addition of the the New items for 2015 and so little speech bubbles offering guidance, the resort are yet to update the accomedation map on there website as at the moment it still only offers the one with just 2 hotels on. Also I'm aware this version is a little small but you can go on the website to get a full size version.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:11 am

I cannot see Blade on the map or in the side information boxes however it is still listed on the website... Could this mean that it has been retired? Hmmmm

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:00 am

No, as it was running over FHT I'd doubt they would have it shut this season.