UK theme parks from another point of view!

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:52 am

Come on Mirror...
Seems Mirror won't leave Towers alone at the moment, they need to stand up for themselves!
As far as I know, the Ride-me merch is a joke...

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:26 am

Well, if I've ever seen the media declare war on anyone, it's been Alton Towers. In my opinion, if you see "ride me" as an innuendo that would make the T-Shirts dangerous, then you need to think that Alton Towers is a theme park. It's meant to be tongue in cheek. Whether you find it provocative or not is your interpretation!

Plus, they're trying to drag out The Smiler story. I mean, they've even put another poll on there on whether the shirts should be removed... :no:

I'm getting to the point where I genuinely believe Alton Towers could complain about how the news is just trying to blacken their brand image. The papers will have damaged the brand.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:33 am

I kinda get where they're coming from as it is inappropriate for young girls to wear them, however it is up to the parents to control if their daughters buy them. And its not as bad as the shirts most parents allow their daughters to wear which reveal almost everything.

I think it would have helped to reference the theme park on them more, such as having coaster track printed around the shirt. That would make it more obvious that its a pun from a theme park, because if they were to wear the shirt in public off of the resort, I doubt many people would realise that it is a reference to ATR and rides

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:43 am

Parents worried about this? Have they seen what their 13 yo daughters wear nowadays.. this is the least of their worries.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

humanshifter
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:44 pm

Surely a child wearing a t-shirt with an implied sexual slogan is much, much "worse"/more inappropriate than children wearing "revealing" clothes. They're kids? And if they really do market "Ride It" t-shirts to men and "Ride Me" t-shirts to women, it's incredibly sexist.

That being said, the Mirror's story and the campaign are super dumb. They're transparently only doing it to drag out the Smiler story, and the way they put it: 'the t-shirts could comfortably fit a 13-year-old', suggests the t-shirts are in adult sizes.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:45 pm

I hate the media, what they do is say 'rita had a 20 min late opening today' then 'just 1 week ago the park's main ride, the smiler crashed...' Blah blah about the whole situation again.

jamieg93
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:34 am

It would seem the media just want to fuel the fire surrounding Alton towers, rather than let everyone move on, particularly those involved.

It would be nice for once if the reporters showed just a little compassion, but no, they are to worried about a headline(and clearly not that good at their jobs otherwise they wouldn't need to drag this out).

JBragg1
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Are you allowed to film on rides with go pros

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:37 pm

JBragg1 wrote:

No, Alton Towers do not permit filming on any of their rides & attractions :)

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:13 am

JBragg1 wrote:

If you were desparate to film on a roller coaster, this image tells you the procedure you are to follow to do so. Although this is mainly aimed at the media and press, I have known certain enthusiasts and YouTube channels be granted permission however it is a lot of hassle to go through but if you are serious....here's how to go for it. Least there'll say is no.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:52 am

TheSmilerMan wrote:
If you were desparate to film on a roller coaster, this image tells you the procedure you are to follow to do so. Although this is mainly aimed at the media and press, I have known certain enthusiasts and YouTube channels be granted permission however it is a lot of hassle to go through but if you are serious....here's how to go for it. Least there'll say is no.

Like you say Zach, that link is aimed primarily at the press and media outlets.

In terms of regular guests being allowed to film on rides as and when they desire, that is not permitted.

I personally don't see the attraction of filming POV's. Except for the video quality depending on the device used, there's no difference between them all.
There are plenty of professional ones floating around on YouTube so, in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get permission.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:37 am

Hey people, which day do you think will be less busy, the 10th or the 17th of July? Conscious about schools being in- which would be more preferable?
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:44 am

TheBeast wrote:
Hey people, which day do you think will be less busy, the 10th or the 17th of July? Conscious about schools being in- which would be more preferable?

I think the 10th could be busier than the 17th.

They're both Fridays, and I believe the schools don't break up for summer until the 20th July, which will mean that school trips should be out of the way by the 17th.

They'll both be busy, but if you'd prefer to visit on the quieter of the two days, I'd go for the 17th.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Alright cheers Dan that's great!
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

gee
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:47 pm

More bad press for ATR.
And more press exaggerated story's.
Apparently air stuck upside down. I think they mean stuck on the lift hill.
B&M coasters never stall If remember the quote right from Mr Bolliger! And don't think they ever will.
I hate the mirrors way of reporting.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... ks-5985495

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:47 am

They need to read a dictionary. They obviously don't know the correct meaning of upside down.

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:53 am

Yes, I have seen the article. It's quite infuriating, anyone who knows the park knows Air loads and then tilts! The only times Air is upside down are the section between the fly to lie and the lie to fly and the inline twist.

Alton Towers must be sick of it at this point. I've had it with the media myself, they're unprofessional and just bringing up the incident again and again.

gee
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:09 am

They have changed the headline to hanging face down now but still don't make for good reading. Very exaggerated and going for shock tactics.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... rs-5986662

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Where I read fault/stuck, instead, I read safe. The ride has stopped for a reason, how is this bad, it's inconvenient, but you're safe....also quite comfy. :lol I don't see how the ride stopping is a "fault".

It must be quite frustrating to deal with so many online experts these days.

It's pretty much a non-story, these stops were barely reported on previously unless it was an hour or so. Every park is under the microscope for anything now.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:03 pm

To be fair, it was 34 degrees when it happened, I don't blame them for saying uncomfortable.

BUT... I noticed that AT said that they were off in 20 mins, but people are crapping about how they were on there 45 mins ](*,)