UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
Mikkel
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 72
Joined: September 2011

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:05 pm

What an absolute buffoon!

Clearly has no idea how rides operate. Who is she exactly? Do you have a link to a profile?
 
User avatar
Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: March 2015
Location: Rotherham

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Dan.N wrote:
I always make sure with OTSR's to push my shoulders out when the host is checking my restraint. This makes sure my restraint is fairly loose while still securing me in my seat.

This is a great way to ride Oblivion. With a bit of space between yourself and the restraint you can virtually float down the drop, it's an amazing feeling which I would recommend to anyone!


That happened to me on my first time. It wasn't fun then because obviously I hadn't done it before and I was pretty nervous. But now I purposely stick my stomach out so it doesn't go down fully
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2133!
Ride count 2020: 360!
Cred count: 117!

Image
 
oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 28
Joined: June 2015
Contact:

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:03 pm

Was on park for the non-existent event 'Big Six Day', and despite it being busier than two weeks after the 2nd June, it was still eerily quiet. However, I concur with those mentioning the mist on Oblivion! I have never experienced it mist all the way through the tunnel, only on the entrance, but it's a whole different experience with it on!
Speaking of steam / mist, I've never been on RMT with the smoke machine on the tunnel exit, and also in Th13teen, with the distinct sweet smell of a smoke machine!

Do AT usually sell Alton Towers branded clothing, without Scarefest or Fireworks logos? I'm looking for a hoodie / t-shirt with just the logo on, but have only come across special event branded items?
 
User avatar
Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: March 2015
Location: Rotherham

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:37 pm

oliverfox wrote:
Was on park for the non-existent event 'Big Six Day', and despite it being busier than two weeks after the 2nd June, it was still eerily quiet. However, I concur with those mentioning the mist on Oblivion! I have never experienced it mist all the way through the tunnel, only on the entrance, but it's a whole different experience with it on!
Speaking of steam / mist, I've never been on RMT with the smoke machine on the tunnel exit, and also in Th13teen, with the distinct sweet smell of a smoke machine!

Do AT usually sell Alton Towers branded clothing, without Scarefest or Fireworks logos? I'm looking for a hoodie / t-shirt with just the logo on, but have only come across special event branded items?


In my opinion the mist/smoke on RMT isn't very good and doesn't add to the experience, and th13teen's smoke machine just gases me out! It smells vile! You can buy Alton towers clothing but with scarefest just finishing and fireworks starting tomorrow then I think they may not sell it.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2133!
Ride count 2020: 360!
Cred count: 117!

Image
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:12 pm

So this is an issue with ticketing. A lot of tickets have a valid one time use from opening season day to the closing season day and clearly excludes special events & concerts.

Now seeing as Fireworks is a special event why on earth are tickets marked as end of season day when in no way can they ever be used during these 3 remaining days. Its causing people to be angered at Merlin / Alton Towers as they've left it to last minute to use them thinking they can.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:02 am

Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
Smiffy107
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 47
Joined: June 2015
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:23 am

Andy Mc wrote:



thats pretty awesome that they did that!
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Another video of the elves & Santa in CCL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WULUxJ2bTlA

And one introducing Elve's Emporium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-tL_wKAtHE
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
N_B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 34
Joined: November 2015
Location: Tyne and Wear

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:58 pm

The videos are really sweet. I'm a sucker for Christmas anyway. Woo hoo, Santa!
 
JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 315
Joined: September 2014
Location: Staffordshire

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
http://oi67.tinypic.com/33z9o35.jpg
http://oi67.tinypic.com/30k9bma.jpg


People like this wind me up, and it's gotten worse because of the smiler incident.
Image

Credit to NemesisRider
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:23 am

With park attendance for next season in doubt again how do we think the marketing team will respond in regards to an Ad for 2016.

There was an advert back in the 1990s (can't be specific) seen at a minute into this video where a boy of maybe 13-14 is in bed and the map on the wall comes alive.

Now my thoughts for an advert is to be as plain as can be, taking people out of their everyday lives back to a time of wonderment. So with that said:

Going back to the roots of that advert the boy is now grown up a man mid-30s and has his own children & he's sorting through paper (dunno what) and comes across a park map. It sucks him into the map, hes now at Alton Towers. Could be present or back when he was a child, it has a host of footage for family attractions; RMT, Flume, Duel, Marauders Mayhem or whatever avoiding coasters if can be.

He's ported back out, last scenes before logos/promotions for 2016 is you just watching him grab the car keys & the family are seen walking out the front door.

Maybe even using the new rendition of ITHOTMK alongside the Alton Towers clips.

Simplistic advert in order to try and attract families back to the resort. They could simply do a 30 second ad regarding changes to Air but I hope its more generic and on a broader scope than that, its not flashy or dazzling just giving a clear message. They need numbers to pick up and imo an advert that shows Alton Towers as a family destination as an escape from everyday life needs to be reiterated given the year they just had.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
Thorpegirl123
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 21
Joined: September 2015

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:58 am

Andy Mc wrote:
I dislike people like this... you need to read it!

I'm kinda happy she won't be returning, the park can do without individuals like her creating unnecessary drama where it isn't needed.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/33z9o35.jpg
http://oi67.tinypic.com/30k9bma.jpg



I wonder if this is the same woman that me and the other half saw complaining. We had got on nemesis, were sat waiting for ages questioning why we were waiting so long but noticed a woman speaking to a ride op.

All we heard was the ride op say that he was responsible for the ride that day and would write down his name for the woman, thought nothing of it for a bit then nearly wet myself when I heard " well he was clinging on for dear life, he almost fell out" :lol

I couldn't pick up and all of the conversation, but did overhear the ride op mention how the restraint has so many different settings when it locks in place and if her son had pulled down to hard forcing it to close to him then it would just have lifted to the next setting and locked in place. Made sense to me as I have done this before. Got on, pulled my restraint down as close to me as I could and kept rattling it, only for it to lift up and release the whole rows restraints. I thought it was funny though as at the time all I kept thinking was I hope it don't do that again when we are moving :lol I havn't rattled my restraint since.

The woman in question moaning though was of the, lets say without being rude........chav variety. :roll: It might not be the same woman but the story sounds very similar, only if it is the same one then the account of the staffs attitude is far from the truth and her son didn't exactly look petrified. It might not be the same one as the woman I saw as she only had 1 lad with her.

EDIT: After seeing a picture this is not the same woman I saw.
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:29 am

So during Santa's Sleepovers guests will enjoy a free Cinderella pantomime.

Prince Charming & Cinderella:

Image

The Ugly Sisters:

Image

Set Design: From UK Productions Ltd

Image

Image

Image
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 680
Joined: October 2014

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:08 pm

Where will this pantomime be? I mean, I never knew there was a theatre or anything of the kind in the resort, but I do hope that it's not going to be some shabby temporary thing that is a warehouse with a few seats in :P
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4389
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:35 pm

Adam.W wrote:
Where will this pantomime be? I mean, I never knew there was a theatre or anything of the kind in the resort, but I do hope that it's not going to be some shabby temporary thing that is a warehouse with a few seats in :P

It's in the State Room of the Conference Centre.
Image
 
thi3teenloverboy14
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 79
Joined: July 2014

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:43 pm

Thorpegirl123 wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:
I dislike people like this... you need to read it!

I'm kinda happy she won't be returning, the park can do without individuals like her creating unnecessary drama where it isn't needed.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/33z9o35.jpg
http://oi67.tinypic.com/30k9bma.jpg



I wonder if this is the same woman that me and the other half saw complaining. We had got on nemesis, were sat waiting for ages questioning why we were waiting so long but noticed a woman speaking to a ride op.

All we heard was the ride op say that he was responsible for the ride that day and would write down his name for the woman, thought nothing of it for a bit then nearly wet myself when I heard " well he was clinging on for dear life, he almost fell out" :lol

I couldn't pick up and all of the conversation, but did overhear the ride op mention how the restraint has so many different settings when it locks in place and if her son had pulled down to hard forcing it to close to him then it would just have lifted to the next setting and locked in place. Made sense to me as I have done this before. Got on, pulled my restraint down as close to me as I could and kept rattling it, only for it to lift up and release the whole rows restraints. I thought it was funny though as at the time all I kept thinking was I hope it don't do that again when we are moving :lol I havn't rattled my restraint since.

The woman in question moaning though was of the, lets say without being rude........chav variety. :roll: It might not be the same woman but the story sounds very similar, only if it is the same one then the account of the staffs attitude is far from the truth and her son didn't exactly look petrified. It might not be the same one as the woman I saw as she only had 1 lad with her.

EDIT: After seeing a picture this is not the same woman I saw.


When ever I go on Nemesis I always try to pull it down as close to my body as possible sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but has anyone noticed that by the time you've gone up the lift the restraint is locked in that position because I hold it down on the lift so it clicks and then let go to ride without holding on.....I suspect the child was over exaggerating and his mum was pressuring him. I also find that staff never push it down all the way because they don't want it to go so tight that they have to release the restraints and re adjust them they do this on most B&M coasters with OTSR. Did anyone see the one about this woman claiming her disabled son was refused first aid because he panicked on Air when it stopped?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1724
Joined: May 2014
Location: Praising John Wardley

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:07 pm

thi3teenloverboy14 wrote:
Did anyone see the one about this woman claiming her disabled son was refused first aid because he panicked on Air when it stopped?

Yes, I did see that particular post. She reacted negatively towards some of the enthusiast community trying to correct some things she said or provide an explanation.

In short, it was about how her son was stuck on Air and when he came off his breathing was odd. The women supposedly was told by staff they could not send First Aid over unless they contacted their boss, probably due to the fact the park is incredibly busy and First Aid have many things to attend to. Alton Towers are good at certain things, but they aren't miracle workers. Apparently they had to find First Aid by themselves and spent the rest of the night in First Aid. She mentioned specifically that it was dark and raining so I assume it was late, possibly even after the Fireworks.

Make your own judgement on the story I guess. Personally I think with how well Fireworks went in my experience, it's bound to have a few things which don't go right especially when their is lots on park and rides experience unavoidable downtime.
 
stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 944
Joined: January 2014

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:50 pm

I know how ridiculous this woman is being given that I push my chest out to give me some wiggle room. And although I'm sure she's is exaggerating it, I do think that after the smiler incident, staff should have handled it better, especially with Alton Towers knowing how something tiny can be easily blown up Ito negative press.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 587
Joined: June 2015
Location: Devon

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:57 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:
I do think that after the smiler incident, staff should have handled it better, especially with Alton Towers knowing how something tiny can be easily blown up Ito negative press.

That's if you believe her story about how the staff acted ;) Sometimes negative press is unavoidable.
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: February 2013

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:28 pm

I'm guessing this is the exterior of Elve's Emporium. Snapped on site today by a lighting technician (I think) Daniel Stickland. Not sure where it is I'm probably guessing around where Scary Tales was.

Image
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 179 guests