UK theme parks from another point of view!

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:39 pm

Smileradvocate1 wrote:
Hasn't the first turn after the lift always been a darker colour?

Yes, you can see where it changes colour on Google Maps.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:36 pm

Blog entry for preparations and what to expect in 2016: http://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/ ... orld-2016/
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:08 pm

I trawled through 2016 opening dates:

Season is 19th March-6th November but park will be closed:

April: 19th, 20th, 26th, 27th

May: 10th, 11th, 17th, 18th, 24th, 25th

September: 6th, 7th, 13th, 14th, 20th, 21st, 27th, 28th

October: 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th

November: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Scarefest will have a shake up to its timetable running on October:

8th, 9th, 15th, 16th, 21st-31st

Fireworks only 2 days now not 3:

5th, 6th November
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Speedy_no1
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:56 pm

Just had a look at the website and the ride list at the bottom has been altered as well. No flume no blade no ripsaw no subterror no hex no enterprise no river rapids.
Don't know if its just my computer?

sss1986
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Speedy_no1 wrote:
Just had a look at the website and the ride list at the bottom has been altered as well. No flume no blade no ripsaw no subterror no hex no enterprise no river rapids.
Don't know if its just my computer?

Had a wee look there and I had to go to "see more" on the "Rides" drop down tab and they still have the rides you mention listed.

Also noticed the 2016 opening times for Alton Towers and it looks very very dark for the resort. Hopefully this doesn't put any holds on the future projects coming to the Park.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:55 pm

I like the sound of ‘Towers Loving Care’. Just sad there's no new flats.

Also, new coffee shop? This is not an attraction! I don't even drink coffee! And who goes into restaurants at a theme park? I eat on the way to the next ride from my big bag of snacks :D

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:44 pm

All those dates mentioned are Tuesday / Wednesday. They are usually very quiet anyway so imo it really won't impact a lot of people.

Having an extra Saturday / Sunday of Scarefest is quite good though if I'm reading it correctly at the expense of a few weekdays missing from the overall event.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:50 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Having an extra Saturday / Sunday of Scarefest is quite good though if I'm reading it correctly at the expense of a few weekdays missing from the overall event.

When you look at the Scarefest dates overall we're only actually losing one day in total. The Resort seem to be following a similar patter to Thorpe Park in that the event is on weekends to start (although Alton are only doing Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday to Sunday like Thorpe), then all week for the October Half Term week, plus the extra Monday as Halloween falls on the Monday after half term.

I suspect they're probably thinking they'll get more guests visiting doing the event that way, rather than opening for the weekdays the week before half term like they have previously.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:13 pm

That's a damn shame, was at Scarefest the first week this year and it was fantastic since every ride was walk on. I know it's not great for the park, but for someone who only visits once a year it's brilliant :P

themealgang
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:26 pm

Whilst a lot of people are moaning about that blog post (yeah, those opening times suck) I'm actually very happy about the rejuvenation project coming over the next three years. FINALLY, something that we've always wanted is happening.

What it proves is that Merlin have at least listened to us and noticed how tired and poor the theme park was looking. Even pre-Smiler crash, there was no doubt that Alton Towers was looking a bit worse for wear. And there's no doubt that the entire park needed some much needed love and attention... which it is finally getting. And that will start with the re-introduction of Air that will hopefully look sensational once it re-opens to the public in 2016.

With everything feeling fresh, we can look forward to a bright future. But does that also confirm there will be no major coasters until those three years are over?

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:29 pm

themealgang wrote:
But does that also confirm there will be no major coasters until those three years are over?

While its no confirmation they do mention in that blog post regarding Towers Loving Care that it is their desire to bring new and exciting attractions one of which could be SW8/coaster.

But yes while the next season may be quite dire the overall future of the park looks promising and I for one am glad they are acknowledging the park needs cleaning / sprucing up.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:46 am

With regards to the opening hours it personally makes no difference to me. It also makes sense for those days to be cut as they have been very quiet. The only days which surprise me are the ones moved for Scarefest and the day cut for Fireworks.

Overall, by cutting these days, it also allows the park opportunities to begin making changes/installations next year. I expect 2016 to be a very quiet year, but at least improvements are being made. I vote CCL is first up for renovation!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:16 am

They'd better rennovate (destroy) Rita's scaffolding in Dark Forest!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

jonny9403
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:23 am

Themepark247360 wrote:
They'd better rennovate (destroy) Rita's scaffolding in Dark Forest!

And rita as well

Mikkel
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:08 pm

If alton think I'm going to scarefest on a weekend they are out of their minds.

always go early in the week. It's going to be chaos now, absolute chaos. Be lucky if you get on 3 rides all day. And as for the mazes , good luck

won't be going this year.

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:53 pm

Sorry to say this TLC is just media spin or known as a do do sandwich

the fact is that they do some painting and cleaning in areas every closed season I doubt their will be much more budget for this PR exserize than would have been for house keeping in the first place

Ccl is probably the intended area of target I guess that the entire area will be closed off (and why hex is rummerd to be closed as the exit is in ccl ) for the season with barriers saying look were being good project TLC in action ........ check back in 2017 for an all new look area....

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Mikkel wrote:
If alton think I'm going to scarefest on a weekend they are out of their minds.

always go early in the week. It's going to be chaos now, absolute chaos. Be lucky if you get on 3 rides all day. And as for the mazes , good luck

won't be going this year.

I attended Scarefest on the weekend before Half Term last season and it was absolutely fine?

What people are forgetting is that the 2016 season is likely to be just as quiet as the 2015 season was in the aftermath of the incident.

As ladyofthelake has already said in an earlier post, if you actually take the time to look at the Scarefest calendar, we are only losing one day next season in comparison with the 2015 event, it's just next season the event is more spread out.

Change doesn't always have to be for the worse. I think we all realise that 2016 is going to be different from anything we've seen from Alton Towers before, but we can't start lambasting them before the season even begins.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:54 pm

I nearly mentioned this in my original post too, but I agree with you Dan. The season is more spread, especially with Christmas opening this year too. It seems to me they are working behind the scenes to turn the resort into exactly that, a resort but for an all year round market. Obviously a long term strategy, but one very much in full swing.

Mermalizer
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:34 pm

I just saw an advert for booking breaks at Alton Towers in 2016 (on the Sky Sports News HQ channel)! It had a small snippet of the rollercoaster restaurant (looks to be very similar to Food Loop at Europa Park) but nothing on Air 2016. Just a heads up!
Prepare to be mermalized!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:46 pm

Mermalizer wrote:
It had a small snippet of the rollercoaster restaurant (looks to be very similar to Food Loop at Europa Park) but nothing on Air 2016. Just a heads up!

The Air announcement will come on January 12th, they seem to be inviting media along to unveil it at the London Science Museum. Would be premature to unveil it ahead of the press event.