UK theme parks from another point of view!

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed May 25, 2016 4:58 pm

MakoMania wrote:
According to the TEA attendance report, attendance was only down 1.3% at Alton Towers last year.

It should be noted that's in comparison to 2005... Attendance fell from 2,575,000 in 2014 to 1,925,000 last year, that's a 25.2% fall. I understand these to be estimated values, but it still gives a feel for the impact on gate figures.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 25, 2016 5:02 pm

The crowd levels last year seemed more drastic to me than a 1.3% decline on 2014's crowds. But I suppose March-May was unaffected by the negative media attention.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 25, 2016 6:32 pm

This has appeared from Alton Towers stating they need actors for "live attractions and interactive street shows". This is interesting as it means that the street shows that briefly started a year or two ago may be coming back for the summer - and the actor section in Nenesis: Sub-Terra may be returning as detailed as a "live attraction". It is also mentioned that show actors should be able to 'host a gameshow'.

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 25, 2016 8:29 pm

What's up with the height requirements? Are tall people like myself just 2 spooky 4 them?

Ladyofthelake
TT Member
TT Member

Wed May 25, 2016 8:34 pm

It's quite common for casting calls to specify height requirements, especially in places like theme parks who have particular characters to cast - for example with skin work the costume will only fit people within certain height limits. Looking at that casting notice I would guess that they are mainly looking for CBeebies Land and Hotel entertainments. The live attraction referred to is probably Mr Bloom's Allotment.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 28, 2016 11:58 am

TowersStreet report that Oblivion is now running two stations again and that this has appeared along the exit -

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 28, 2016 2:17 pm

It has been reported that catering outlets in the Dark Forest have reopened!

tjreevzi00
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Justin wrote:
It has been reported that catering outlets in the Dark Forest have reopened!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 28, 2016 6:47 pm

Well that can only be a good sign :)

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Photos from Towers Times can be found here... https://www.facebook.com/towerstimes/po ... 6313703185

mark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Compared to Thorpe Park or even Blackpool, most of the rides at Alton Towers are too short and don't last very long, Alton is ruined by the local council's strict height restriction of nothing above tree level. For a lot of people, queuing for hours for a 1 to 2 minute ride isn't worth it. In my opinion Thorpe Park's rides are bigger, better, scarier and faster. These points may be the reason that Alton will struggle.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:55 pm

mark wrote:
Compared to Thorpe Park or even Blackpool, most of the rides at Alton Towers are too short and don't last very long, Alton is ruined by the local council's strict height restriction of nothing above tree level. For a lot of people, queuing for hours for a 1 to 2 minute ride isn't worth it. In my opinion Thorpe Park's rides are bigger, better, scarier and faster. These points may be the reason that Alton will struggle.

Well, wherever you go, there will be a 1-2 hour queue, especially in the summer months. There really isn't much you can do about the short ride duration, it's just the way that it is. Comparing this to Thorpe Park is a bit like comparing a Porche and a Ferrari - they're both fast, awesome cars, but saying that one is better as it has a better shape, mirrors or paintwork is often down to opinion (I'm making it simple, the exact differences between the cars isn't my point). Alton Towers is an all round park for families and thrill seekers, whereas Thorpe is mostly aimed at thrill seekers. Saying that Alton Towers has short rides is irrelevant - all rides in thorpe only last 1-2 mins (With the exception of DBGT); I once queued an hour for ninferno and I thought it was short, but I also queued for the smiler for an hour once and thought the same thing, so comparing the two parks on that aspect is a pretty weak argument.

As you said, Alton Towers has strict planning restrictions, which over time has shaped the park we have today, which is why you could argue that thorpe has better rides (ie. Stealth vs Rita). Obviously Thorpe appeals to you since it has big thrill rides, but your views do not reflect those of everybody's, and saying that Alton will struggle because of this seems a bit one sided.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 pm

mark wrote:

In terms of ride length and time, Thorpe Parks rides actually last similar lengths to those at Alton Towers. a few of them being shorter than their most comparable rides at Alton Towers, such as Stealth in comparison to Rita, and the Smiler compared with either Saw or Colossus. Not only this, but Alton Towers, more often than not, tend to have better operations and all round shorter queue times because of it. However the opinion on rides is all down to the individual, so if Thorpe Park has your favourite rides that's obviously where you're going to go. :)

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:21 am

mark wrote:

Not this age old argument again!

Seriously I'm team Alton Towers (and if I wasn't I sure wouldn't be criticising the Theme Park on an Alton Towers orientated forum) :D

If you like chaff city as oppose to beautiful countryside, then that is your prerogative. Stealth is the only ride that is faster than that at Alton towers and even that ride is very short.

I tend to find the queues are usually longer at Thorpe park what ever time of the season I visit. The rides there tend to make me sick as oppose to be thrilling. I'm a regular visitor to Alton Towers, and even on the busiest of days, it is possible to beat all the queues if you know which order to the rides in.

The height building restrictions at Alton Towers has given us a unique experiences with both Nemesis and Oblivion being build down into the ground. Nemesis is ranked as one of the top rollercoasters in the world. You can't beat the jaw dropping drop on Oblivion.

Yes I do love Blackpool for different reasons, and they have great unique rides there, some of which are very old. :D

But if Thorpe Park floats your boat, then that is OK by me, it just means one person less at Alton Towers which will reduce my queue waiting times :D

mark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:25 pm

I was making a general point,I am not anti Alton,I have Been to Alton many times,I agree that the setting is stunning.I have been on all the rides over the years.I miss Thunder Looper,The Beast,The Alton Mouse,The Bobs and The Corksrew.All great rides.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:38 pm

Does anyone know the procedure at Alton for storms? I was on park today, hammering it down (hurt on Rita :lol ) and there was loud thunder and you could see the lightning in the sky, but the rides were still open! Seems a bit of a close call to me compared to procedure I've seen at other parks. Anybody have any more info?

Senator
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:06 pm

I was on park as well today - I have no idea about the procedures; except I saw nothing was running - no trains, no nothing

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Senator wrote:
I was on park as well today - I have no idea about the procedures; except I saw nothing was running - no trains, no nothing

?

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:44 pm

As I understand it, nothing outdoors operates in the event of a thunderstorm - I've been in queues for rides at AT before when storms have occurred and always they've stopped until the weather's improved :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:07 am

Luce wrote:
As I understand it, nothing outdoors operates in the event of a thunderstorm - I've been in queues for rides at AT before when storms have occurred and always they've stopped until the weather's improved :)

I was in Dark Forest at the time, Rita was running round its track and there was a huge bolt of lightning in the sky! The ride stopped operation after this of course but it just seemed a bit too close for comfort.