UK theme parks from another point of view!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:28 am

Scotland break up from school before England, so a lot of Scottish school trips at the moment. Overall the last two days the park was still quiet, both Nemesis and Rita only running on one train, so these rides had inflated queue times, the rest of the park (apart from Galatica) were mostly walk on's

Zac
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:03 am

On park today, lots of school trips, nemesis was only running 1 train, Gallatica had a average time of 50mins along with 13, & smiler around 40mins, Rita was running 2 trains with about 25 min wait time.
We did find a lack of food outlets open, and long ques at all kiosks that were open,
My biggest complaint was that while in forbidden valley we had to walk all the way back to towers street to buy fastrack tickets, this was the only place on park to sell them, it is very noticeable of the lack of staff on park and in kiosks, the staff working in these units today certainly earned there wages!

craig.day.92
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:04 pm

Im off to the park this Sunday and Monday, Do you guys thing it will be pretty busy bearing in mind I have no idea about school holidays.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:14 pm

craig.day.92 wrote:
Im off to the park this Sunday and Monday, Do you guys thing it will be pretty busy bearing in mind I have no idea about school holidays.

Should be busy, but not very busy. Expect queues of about 30-50 minutes for the big 6 at times, but of course this will change throughout the day. There will be some school trips present on the Monday no doubt!
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

Air15
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34 pm

Took a leavers trip yesterday to AT with school and was surprised to see that the rapids only had the left side of the waterfall working, never seen it run with one side before also 13 was down most of the day from "technical difficulties" Nemesis was running great as always with the queue going down fast. Galatica was the ride with the biggest queue mostly around 40-90 minutes all day with the queue exceeding out of the entrance. The Smiler had no projections on or strobs on with just the normal room lighting on, Oblivions mist was great today filling the whole all up :D

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Air15 wrote:
Took a leavers trip yesterday to AT with school and was surprised to see that the rapids only had the left side of the waterfall working, never seen it run with one side before also 13 was down most of the day from "technical difficulties" Nemesis was running great as always with the queue going down fast. Galatica was the ride with the biggest queue mostly around 40-90 minutes all day with the queue exceeding out of the entrance. The Smiler had no projections on or strobs on with just the normal room lighting on, Oblivions mist was great today filling the whole all up :D

When I went on the 18th only the right side of the rapids waterfall was working too. Also only the strobes were on in the smiler queue and no projections.
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 1770!
Ride count 2019: 618!
Cred count: 88!

stevebrown
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:32 pm

Alton Towers have just posted 360 video of Oblivion on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jyuqJHXB8M

towerslover
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:37 pm

Good to see the attendance picking up a bit, hopefully this is the start of rising gate figures again and things picking up from last year! When I visited for 2 days (start of June) only one side of the rapids was working then too!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:17 pm

stevebrown wrote:
Alton Towers have just posted 360 video of Oblivion on their YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jyuqJHXB8M

That videos great! It's good being able to watch the people on the ride and see their reactions, much better than a standard pov I reckon.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:02 pm

I have been contemplating writing this post for a little while now, but I think it needs to be said.

Am I the only one who feels like Alton are currently digging themselves into The ground? It seems that a fair few of their decisions recently have been questionable to say the least, and it's not all that great...

The first thing I feel is that Alton have seemed to lack effort recently, whereas Thorpe Park have rocketed past them. Alton seems to have just gotten slightly complacent. Personally, I think this is a terrible thing because the park's standard, at least for me, has dramatically dropped this year in most aspects. It doesn't help that they are missing a few major rides this year either, I even heard the guests around the park saying "Why couldn't they stagger the closures, it just seems they wanted to close them so they don't have to bother with them this year". Painfully I have to agree. Another issue is some of the staff have been quite lack lustre to say the least, for instance a staff member on my first go on Galactica hardly bother with cleaning the headset and wouldn't help me adjust it, and this really ruined the experience for everyone in my row. It's expected due to last year, but not at this level, it's almost as though they aren't even trying.

I'll cut it off there as I could go on but there's something seriously wrong with Alton this year, sadly it's lost it's magic for me and at this rate, I can't see it coming back any time soon. :(

To clarify, this is in no way me trying to say that the park is a bad place, but it's certainly below AT standard this year for me, and I do hope it improves in 2017.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:46 pm

Just regarding what you/others said about 'all of the rides closing at once', it could depend on how you look at it. On one side, they just close a fair few rides for this year, but on the other, the only reason they are closing the rides if for future improvement. In a few year's time, people might be thinking 'these rides are pretty tired' or 'they should replace x with y', so from this perspective, they took immediate action whilst the park is still recovering from an off season, so it can come back in 2018 with SW8.

I'm pretty sure someone mentioning this last year in the Smiler Incident topic, but the park will recover after a downfall of a few years. The people at Merlin would have planned something, which is possibly to do with the delay of SW8 and the renovation/TLC on Hex, etc. So you might as well get it out of the way early on whilst the park is still 'healing' from the incident.

The only 'real' rides that AT haven't got this year are Ripsaw and Hex, but these are most likely going to be improved on/replaced, so it's not as if Merlin have left the park with no future investments, etc.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:37 pm

Yes but you miss the point, what people felt was that the resort should have staggered closing over a number of years, an argument I can't really oppose. The only rides I personally missed were Sub-Terra and Hex, however this is not the main point of my issue. I just feel that there is a real lacking in the resort - in places that really shouldn't be effected by the smiler incident which is a shame as it used to be my favourite park. It's still a lovely place, but it really didn't feel all that special this year for me unfortunately, although I applaud the 13 crew - they are by far the highlight for me! :)

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:18 pm

AT is in a dire state at the moment, it honestly feels like that last year at American Adventure or what I assume Camalot felt like, it feels like a park about to go bust

owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:35 am

I think saying it feels like the park is about to go bust I slightly over dramatic. The park is a strange one this year, many of the staff seem miserable, more so than other years, but that's not saying all the staff are like that. It feels like management this year really don't care about the customer, to have so many rides shut at once, TLC or not and then raise the price is frankly quite ridiculous, it's like a massive kick in the teeth. I feel like the TLC programme is good for the park however the way it's been implemented is strange, many parks across the world are able to finish maintenance in the closed season however Towers can't and still haven't finished it on Rides like Hex, Driving school and Sub-Terra... It becomes a joke, it just doesn't take that long to fix something and change something, Sub-Terra was completely built and opened in a shorter time tan what they are taking to 'fix' it...
The park I love and defend is quickly becoming a place I'm finding hard to be passionate about and it's such a shame. :(

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:42 pm

I did warn someone NOT to go today.. can't wait to say I told you so.

Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:34 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
I did warn someone NOT to go today.. can't wait to say I told you so.

So nice to see Alto Towers this busy again though, must be good news for Merlin.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:30 pm

Why on earth is it that busy..?

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:43 pm

I think it could be to do with the sheer amount of school trips ;)

Max
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:40 pm

It's the last full week of the school term, so will be packed with trips.
Formerly known as NemesisNosh
2016 Ride Count: 888

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:13 pm

NemesisNosh wrote:
It's the last full week of the school term, so will be packed with trips.

Do you think it will also be packed this Tuesday as we are considering getting Fastrack Bronze as it is on 1/2 prices with the code SCHOOLS16? :-k
Formally Smiler313