UK theme parks from another point of view!

Macca79
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers - General Discussion

Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:09 pm

How do people think the "having to pay in full to book a stay at the Resort" has affected visitors.
Also with Splash Landings only open till the end of August it forces people to book the more expensive hotels i cant see how the Cbeebies hotel justifies being £828 for my trip where if i stay in the Alton Towers Hotel is £456 .
Thoughts please.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:17 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the party and I'm very aware that my disappointment towards the new opening times has been reflected in others' posts above, but I thought I'd share this:

In response to growing prices and shorter hours, I've made a spreadsheet which shows the amount a family (in this case, 2 adults and 2 under 12s) spends just for them to go on a single ride. It's very much a "worse case scenario" in places, assuming that the family buys their tickets on the day, takes a full half hour to eat lunch (although I have not included the cost of eating at an on-site restaurant) and pays a £6 parking fee. As the spreadsheet details below, the charges now seem to be more than a pay-per-ride system at what we would otherwise consider a pricey funfair (depending on which rides the family actually go on). The results are shown below. The bits in bold (note that rides per hour is a guess of mine based on how busy the park will be on these days) represent the variables which change depending on the type of day.

Standard weekday:

Standard weekend:

Peak day:

Really rather ridiculous in my opinion, especially as a load of rides will almost definitely still be unavailable at the start of the season.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm

I don't know of anyone who pays full price on the day but you still have valid points.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

ThemeCrafter264

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 pm

You wouldn't believe the amount of people who buy tickets on the day!

OhShambhala
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:12 pm

You have a point but most people who pay on the gate use 2for1 vouchers or other special offers.
Airtime Machine, Shambhala!

TheRollercoasterRedfish
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm

The GP who don't check in advance before going will end up paying on the day - or at least the unprepared ones.

I myself don't like the new opening times either, and looking at your spreadsheet has just shown how bad it really is! roughly 25 quid for a ride on a peak day is absolutely outrageous, and needs to be rectified by lengthening the hours.

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:05 pm

A response from Alton on Facebook says we should be getting our lineup very soon:

we are hoping to announce our full line up for 2017 in the next couple of days- stay tuned :)
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:09 pm

No new thrill rides, reduced opening hours, potentially more closures = another year I won't be visiting.

Macca79
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:07 am

So we are all waiting for 2018 for the new SW and hopeing that will re energise the park. But i think people want a log ride as well from a park do you think alton towers will get a new one.

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:38 pm

Macca79 wrote:
So we are all waiting for 2018 for the new SW and hopeing that will re energise the park. But i think people want a log ride as well from a park do you think alton towers will get a new one.

I'm personally thinking that they will introduce another water ride, potentially replacing the battle galleons since from my experience, it can be less popular than how The Flume once was and CRR (not necessarily in the same location).

With a potential CCL retheme, a new water ride nearby may be possible, since it has been cited as a location for new development.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 pm

According to AT Facebook, Sub Terra will eventually be reopening at some point:

Hi Joe, Sub Terra is currently unavailable, we do hope to have it open at some point in the future but at present we do not have a timescale of when this may be.

jamesc
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:32 pm

I do hope they give the rapids a good make over and ready for big queues in the hot weather now the log flume has departed, as being the only good water ride left in the park, I can see it needing engineers and spare parts on hand a lot.
As long as there is Imagination in the World, there will be bigger, better rides!

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Tom170499 wrote:

Hi Joe, Sub Terra is currently unavailable, we do hope to have it open at some point in the future but at present we do not have a timescale of when this may be.

This is a massive part of the problem. I've just sat here and considered which Alton Towers attractions appeal to me. Essentially it's the 'Big 6', Hex, Sub Terra and Rapids. Enterprise at a push. All of which I've ridden many times. There isn't really an incentive to travel 3 hours each way and incur the costs involved. It is literally no longer, or more expensive as someone residing in the south of England to go to somewhere like Portaventura instead.

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:36 pm

ponder wrote:
Tom170499 wrote:

This is a massive part of the problem. I've just sat here and considered which Alton Towers attractions appeal to me. Essentially it's the 'Big 6', Hex, Sub Terra and Rapids. Enterprise at a push. All of which I've ridden many times. There isn't really an incentive to travel 3 hours each way and incur the costs involved. It is literally no longer, or more expensive as someone residing in the south of England to go to somewhere like Portaventura instead.

If you can get me to PA at the same price I can visit AT then please show me the way.

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:07 pm

I took upon your challenge. 18th June for 4 nights, 2 adults. Alton cheapest: £330. Portaventura (staying off site, 10 minutes walk away from PA): £646. For an extra £316 it's not that bad to be fair, and for an extra £316 I know where I'd rather go...
Ride count since the beginning of 2015: 2219!
Ride count 2020: 446!
Cred count: 117!

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:51 pm

That's almost twice as much...

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:02 pm

I wasn't proving anyone wrong or right ;) I just put the figures there and then gave my opinion on what I'd do for that money :P

118hazaman
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:24 pm

But that's without flights right? So it would be even more than that. Look's like I'll stick to visiting the 'poor value for money' Alton Towers offers...

Liam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:06 pm

118hazaman wrote:
But that's without flights right? So it would be even more than that. Look's like I'll stick to visiting the 'poor value for money' Alton Towers offers...

Nope, it had flights. I just used Jet2Holidays :P I also did them both without tickets

owenrita121
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:18 pm

118hazaman wrote:

I stayed at PortAventura hotel last October, 4 nights 5 days, flights, half board and transfers for £320pp.
RITA
Nothing will stop her speed.