UK theme parks from another point of view!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm

It's been a huge year for Alton Towers Resort. From the opening of Wicker Man, to the announcement of the Alton Towers Stargazing Pods and the Alton Towers Dungeons, to Scarefest and Fireworks, there's certainly been plenty to keep us all talking! With 2018 drawing to a close, TowersTimes News takes a look back at all the key moments from 2018. So, grab a cup of tea (or other beverage of choice), sit back, and enjoy our 2018 Year in Review.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Such a great read. You don’t really realise how much happens in a year until you look back at it. Let’s hope the park continues this positive journey it’s been on this year!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:50 pm

It was certainly a longer read than I was expecting! :)

They had a handful of events, plus a very successful new ride launch. If I'm correct in thinking, after they resolved the teething problems on Wicker Man in May/June-ish, it ran solidly thereafter? That's actually very impressive from a new ride that was technically ready to go on day 1 of the season, and got up to peak capacity pretty quickly. I didn't hear many complaints over waiting times after those first couple of months.

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:55 pm

This is a really good read, full of nostalgia and memories of the 2018 season- my first full season as a full-fledged theme park enthusiast!
Nemmy and Icon are overrated.

“What’s an inversion Shannon?” -Mango18

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:12 am

Sad AT aren't running the 3 days short break offer this year. Last year was brilliant at Scarefest taking a big group of friends up there for 3 days, especially when the parks is that busy it gives you plenty of time to do everything and make the most of it.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:38 pm

Alton Towers has revealed their marketing campaign for 2019:Image
From the Blog:

The Power of the Towers campaign is our response to this need for family escapism.  It’s all about reminding people why they love Alton Towers precisely because:
  • It helps you escape your day to day lives
  • And brings you together with the people you love
  • Because nowhere else makes you feel the way a visit to Alton does
  • So you leave with amazing memories and can’t wait to return

This video explains:

Thanks Jack

PhNx Survivor
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:04 am

It also reminds me that my wallet will be empty for the rest of the month, but at least I'll have had a good day!
“A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one”

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:18 pm

As reported by TowersTimes Social Media, Alton Towers have confirmed their 2019 theme park admission prices. The only increase is to the adult 'On The Day' ticket which now costs £56 - and increase of £1 on 2018's price. The prices for tickets booked 5+ days in advance remains at £33, and child ticket prices also remain unaltered.

I don't think there's a huge shock in the small increase in the adult 'On The Day' rate with the season pass going up to £56. I do think making minimal changes to the ticket pricing is the right move for this season, especially with The Alton Towers Dungeon being an upcharge attraction. Had they decided to increase ticket prices as well as charge for the Dungeon then it would have created a lot of ill feeling and lost them much of the progress that Wicker Man helped them make.

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:11 pm

Seems reasonable to keep the prices where they were, as they haven't really added anything for this year as part of the standard ticket price. Plus if my suspicion of 4pm off-peak closing is coming back, then there would be zero justification to increase the price.

One thing I don't understand is the new marketing campaign they've just started, talking about how much money people will spend on leisure this year. To me that seems like they're trying to sell themselves to investors, not visitors.

Did you know that Brits are set to invest £8.2 billion a year on activities with their loved ones? Discover more about the research from Britain's Greatest Escape: https://t.co/xdaQoMDFqI #PoweroftheTowers https://t.co/yTHqeE5lv2

But I can't even see it working with investors, as reading the link where they get that figure from, it looks like the figure is entirely made-up. An expectation that people will double their leisure spending in 2019 compared to 2018. Why?

Bert
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 am

Also, if they are trying to sell to investors why do it through Alton Towers social media and not at a sort of Merlin trading update where most investors will see it.

It just seems weird to me. “We’re expecting to make more money this year” is a very stupid way to market yourself to the public.
[Insert Signature Here]

Formerly Bert2theSpark

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:19 pm

As reported on TowersTimes social media; Alton Towers have confirmed their theme park opening times for the 2019 season.

The park will be open: 10am - 4pm during off-peak weekdays, including the first week of July; 10am - 5pm during weekends and school holidays; and 10am - 6pm during the summer school holiday period.

Scarefest and Fireworks will once again see the theme park open until 9pm.

Details for Early Ride Time have also been confirmed, with a very similar line-up to 2018 being offered this season:

If you are a hotel guest or Merlin Annual Passholder you are entitled to Early Ride Time. Selected rides and attractions will be open from 9:30am including:

Mutiny Bay
- Wicker Man

X-Sector
- Oblivion
- Enterprise

CBeebies Land
- Get Set Go Treetop Adventure
- Go Jetters Vroomster Zoom Ride
- In the Night Garden Magical Boat Ride
- Justin's House Pie-O-Matic Factory
- Numtums Number-go-round
- Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure
- Postman Pat Parcel Post

ERT does not take place after 4th October 2019 due to our Scarefest & Fireworks events.

What are your thoughts on the opening times and ERT line-up for the upcoming season?

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Disappointing. 

So they do a marketing campaign stating people will spend double the amount on leisure in 2019, but then leave the opening hours on the bare-minimum they can get away with. Guess management don't believe much of that money will be coming their way then?

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Yet more disappointment. There’s nothing else really to say, just more and more reasons for me to doubt buying a MAP this year.

GregH94
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:03 pm

4pm off peak is utter turd, however it also says on there that these times aren’t at all final and much like last year will be updated nearer to the date and extended when necessary, I’d expect half of April and May to turn out to be 6pm instead of 5 easily. I’m guessing the new model is set a minimum close time but keep it flexible. 

I was hoping for a bit of a different ERT line up, but WM and Oblivion is still decent and by the looks of it the staggered opening times for the big coasters have gone for good (thank God) 

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:44 pm

It makes a lot of sense for them to stay open later to exploit tea/dinner time, especially if the times are extended last minute, as people will most likely not have brought their own lunch and tea
Thanks Jack

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Forgot to post this yesterday, but Alton Towers Resort Jobs on Instagram had an interesting story and on it, when paused, was the following...

It looks like effort will be put into Splash and rides. Hopefully, rides like The Smiler will be clean!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:03 pm

It's a shame there were pictures of angry parents queued through Splash Landings at the weekend, due to the resort's apparent overbooking of the water park. Reportedly people with hotel and water park bookings were turned away from the water park, due to capacity having been reached. Not a great way to begin the year, or attempt to increase those quality standards.

However, except for a couple of outliers, I found the staff at Alton to be extremely good on guest experience last year. I hope that management are aiming to improve quality standards through increased budget and staffing. Rather than just applying pressure on staff to do more and burning them out, which seemed to be what was happening at Thorpe last year.

GregH94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Justin wrote:
Forgot to post this yesterday, but Alton Towers Resort Jobs on Instagram had an interesting story and on it, when paused, was the following...

It looks like effort will be put into Splash and rides. Hopefully, rides like The Smiler will be clean!

I saw this too. Surely this can only be good...

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

I hope it is a positive thing! In my opinion, some rides need to be neatened up, which will hopefully addresses the ride satisfaction aspect of this presentation.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:10 pm

Justin wrote:

Anyone read the bit in the bottom right corner? because it sounds about right
Thanks Jack