UK theme parks from another point of view!

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:17 am

The big news from the map for me, is that the park will only have 1 food outlet this year. :sus:

8/10 for marketing.

1/10 for navigation. :lol

Dachshund
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:23 am

Pretty sure four years is the longest a map design has ever lasted? Normally two or three. Which is a shame because it's my least favourite design they've ever had

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:25 am

I kinda like this years map mainly because they put the rollercoaster logos on. However, I don’t like the fact the restaurants aren’t on.
Nemmy and Icon are overrated.

“What’s an inversion Shannon?” -Mango18

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Currently I'm certain this is not the real guidemap, rather a promotional image for the time being. They've done it in the past. The real map will include food options, games and a proper key at the bottom describing each ride and pointing out smoking areas, toilets, etc. and I really hope it does not include the ride logos because they look horrible, especially the ones with rectangular backgrounds. It ruins the natural feel.
Other small changes since 2018:
The entrance has been slightly recoloured and the new ticket building has been disconnected from the main structure. not sure why.
The wickerman sign has changed from black to red to match the actual sign
Forbidden sweep is apparently back!
The rides labels are coloured by area rather than type of ride
The tiny bit of green land separating dark forest and CCL has been opened up, suggesting that (obviously) AT dungeon is part of DF
Thanks Jack

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 pm

I never considered that they would add the restaurants later on. And I thought AT dungeon was supposed to be in the "The Towers" area, not DF. 

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:59 pm

DerpyQuark wrote:
I never considered that they would add the restaurants later on. And I thought AT dungeon was supposed to be in the "The Towers" area, not DF. 

Less a matter of adding it, rather they just have two versions. One for promotion and in leaflets at service station, etc. and one to give out in the park. People looking at the map from home or on holiday don't need to see smoking areas and toilets so they are left off to reduce clutter.
Good point. Its a discussion for another topic but yes dungeons could actually be part of towers. It doesn't have a coloured label to tell us, only the logo unfortunately.
Thanks Jack

GregH94
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:16 pm

FD364EBD-8826-4B14-9AAA-8CF100EDFF9B.jpeg
FD364EBD-8826-4B14-9AAA-8CF100EDFF9B.jpeg (296.79 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Towers have seemingly confirmed this morning that staggered openings are no more. Not sure if this also means Skyride though 

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Just something to note if travelling to/from Alton Towers from the South this weekend.

The M6 between j13 and j14 will be closed from 8pm on Saturday 23rd until some point on Sunday 24th in order to demolish a footbridge as part of the SM-ALR works. There's likely to be significant delays from around 5pm on Saturday as they will be restricting and closing lanes in preparation.

Of course the knock on effect is that the alternative A449/A34 routes will be heavily congested. Depending on where you are travelling from the logical alternative would be to travel up the M1 j23a/j24 and then travel westbound along the A50, thereby avoiding the M6 entirely, I would imagine that route would also be busier than usual though.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm

As reported on TowersTimes social media; With Alton Towers re-opening on Saturday, the Resort have been busy giving the bottom half of Towers Trading Company an extensive refurbishment.

With a brand new colour scheme, new lighting, and a slightly altered layout, the bottom half of the shop has had a complete revamp and is looking ready to welcome guests into the 2019 season.

I really like it! Although I can imagine the brightness and quirkiness might not be to everyone’s taste, this is one project that Towers have undertaken that I have no issue with :)

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 pm

It’s really nice - well done with no corners cut. It'd have been nice to see something more Towers themed but it’s lovely to see them really put some effort in regardless.
Thanks Jack

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 pm

I’m impressed, it looks really colourful and unique! Well done Merlin, if only all your investments were as well themed as this!

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:41 am

Could someone take note of what time the front gates open for ERT tomorrow? Just want to know what sort of time to get there on Sunday. Thanks :)
Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the signature!

SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need!

DeadJack5
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:00 am

MakoMania wrote:
Could someone take note of what time the front gates open for ERT tomorrow? Just want to know what sort of time to get there on Sunday. Thanks :)

In the past when I've visited, the gates have opened around 9:15/20 via one section of the gates. That section is reserved for those who qualify for ERT whilst the other half the gates is for those who don't.

Hope this helps!
I'm the boy with the bubbles

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:25 pm

The full map has now been revealed. As I predicted it's very different from the original 'promotional' map we have seen before. The big ride logos have gone (praise the lord) and we now have labels for shops, toilets, food, etc.
Label colour now matches category (food, laughs & frights, Thrills, etc.) instead of park area.
Source: TowersStreet Twitter
Thanks Jack

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:24 am

Seems like Marauder's Mayhem has replaced Enterprise on ERT today.

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Today was actually a great opening day, far better than any day I had at the park in 2018. There were more positives than negatives, but I'll summarise:

POSITIVES:
-The single rider queue on The Smiler is absolutely fantastic, it just needs to be signed properly. A complete walk on when the main queue was 90 minutes.
-Ride reliability was generally good, leaps and bounds better than the start of last season.
-Most coasters were running a decent number of trains/stations.
-Little refurb projects around the park like Donut Factory and the Towers Trading refurb are welcome.
-The Dungeon and new entrance to Cloud Cuckoo Land looks better in person than on images.
-All staff I talked to today were very polite.

NEGATIVES:
-Early Ride Time really needs to go back to 9am instead of 9:30am. By 9am the queue at the entrance was huge.
-Rapids supposedly not opening until April. What have they been doing over the 130+ day closed season?
-The Towers are still closed, not acceptable.
-Duel still needs a lot of work.
-Spinball single rider queue farce.
-Oblivion on half capacity with a 50 minute wait is not ideal.

GregH94
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:32 pm

MakoMania wrote:
Today was actually a great opening day, far better than any day I had at the park in 2018. There were more positives than negatives, but I'll summarise:

POSITIVES:
-The single rider queue on The Smiler is absolutely fantastic, it just needs to be signed properly. A complete walk on when the main queue was 90 minutes.
-Ride reliability was generally good, leaps and bounds better than the start of last season.
-Most coasters were running a decent number of trains/stations.
-Little refurb projects around the park like Donut Factory and the Towers Trading refurb are welcome.
-The Dungeon and new entrance to Cloud Cuckoo Land looks better in person than on images.
-All staff I talked to today were very polite.

NEGATIVES:
-Early Ride Time really needs to go back to 9am instead of 9:30am. By 9am the queue at the entrance was huge.
-Rapids supposedly not opening until April. What have they been doing over the 130+ day closed season?
-The Towers are still closed, not acceptable.
-Duel still needs a lot of work.
-Spinball single rider queue farce.
-Oblivion on half capacity with a 50 minute wait is not ideal.

With Spinball, have you tried going up the “pass holders” entrance and telling a host you’re a single rider? Maybe when they said selected days they meant it 

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:34 pm

If you look closely on the map, the monorail station is in it's original colours, and not the green colouring.

Justin
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:36 pm

The Towers were open today, but it is even more restricted than before as we were unable to get right to the top. Still, it was very nice to get back in them!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Arrived on park yesterday.

Nice to see the bricks with our names on have weathered nicely    :(

Spotted a new (leek?) sign with regards to treating staff and other guest with respect

They were testing the rapids yesterday, but still not open due to the ride still being in the hands of the tech staff. They are hoping for the ride to be up and running next month and also I've heard from two different sources (but don't hold me to that) that they are planning to turn back on the waterfalls this season too  :)

Overall, I feel that the ride operations were a lot better this year and what a different having no staggered opening times make to our day. Also great to make use of the single rider queue line on the Smiler and nice to see it manage at the entrance to prevent it being abused.