UK theme parks from another point of view!

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:03 pm

As reported earlier on TowersTimes social media; A hand sanitiser station has been installed at the entrance of Hex: The Legend of the Towers, suggesting the Resort are preparing to re-open the attraction soon.

Thanks to Alex Ball for the photo.

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:48 pm

Yesterday was my first visit to Alton Towers since October, and having not really been anywhere since lockdown started in March, I went in feeling pretty unsure and a bit nervous, but thankfully everything was running super smoothly. 

Entering the park with all the extra batching, booking and temperature checks was surprisingly swift. I was expecting the whole process to be a bit of a chore, but the sheer efficiency of the procedure was very nice.

Distancing in queues and on rides, alongside wearing a mask on coasters, may seem odd, but it felt more natural than anticipated. Most people were complying which gave excellent peace of mind throughout the day, but I did feel that some pathways were a bit chaotic. Whilst the majority encourage guests to "keep left", I often found that this was ignored, meaning I had to awkwardly weave in and out of traffic to try and maintain some sort of distance. A particularly tricky spot was the pathway heading up to Fountain Square via The Ruins. Not all paths are like this, but it should be kept in mind that it is a bit difficult in the busy areas (all the more reason to walk through The Gardens!).

The park felt busy, yet managable. Queue times were always over-estimated, and guessing them for yourself isn't really possible with the distanced queues. The longest I waited was around an hour for Wicker Man, despite the distanced line being all the way back to One Tree Path. Most rides seemed to be running quickly; weirdly enough, Nemesis' queue felt shorter than usual (perhaps because it was trickier to estimate how long it would take from a certain point).

As for lunch, I decided to go for Pizza Pasta, which isn't currently offering a buffet service; instead you can order either half, or the entirety of a pizza to eat in, or take away. The queue was understandably lengthy, so hopefully the park will update the app so mobile ordering is available from more food outlets.

Overall, I'm very impressed with what Towers have pulled off here. If you go in knowing what to expect, and you feel comfortable visiting with all these necessary precautions, then it's certainly worth going. Whilst there were some instances where distancing wasn't easy, the park have done everything in their power to ensure it's possible. It was very refreshing to be back; the atmosphere throughout the whole park is fun and strong. When you visit often, you forget how special the park is; having been a semi-regular for years, and not visiting for some ten months, it was almost like re-discovering the place. As always, staff were super friendly, and with crowd stewards keeping an eye on things, they brought a lovely, welcoming feel to the day.

I'll certainly be coming back as soon as possible!

CrayCray
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:18 pm

The gate at Forbidden Valley is open to Resort guests, and opens at ride close for regular people. I was thinking they should look into making a second gate for the park, it would help disperse crowds in the morning, as a lot of people dont like walking or taking the Monorail. It would be a pretty good idea, any opinions?

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:03 pm

A second gate at air has been a topic of conversation for many years. It was included in the long term development plan that was published about a decade ago.

If it was to become a second gate I think it would have to be exclusive to certain groups such as disabled, pass holders, resort guests. If it was available to everyone then everyone would use it and it would become extremely congested. Forbidden valley was not built to be an entrance and is not spacious enough. It would also make the main entrance redundant which is a shame because a lot of money has been spent on it and it gives a brilliant view of the towers on arrival.
Thanks Jack

Coaster Chall
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:19 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
A second gate at air has been a topic of conversation for many years. It was included in the long term development plan that was published about a decade ago.

If it was to become a second gate I think it would have to be exclusive to certain groups such as disabled, pass holders, resort guests. If it was available to everyone then everyone would use it and it would become extremely congested. Forbidden valley was not built to be an entrance and is not spacious enough. It would also make the main entrance redundant which is a shame because a lot of money has been spent on it and it gives a brilliant view of the towers on arrival.

I absolutely agree with that! I think because the FV entrance gate is nearer to the hotels, that should be a hotel guests entrance, as well as a disabled entrance and Merlin passholder entrance, like you said. Plus, with Covid, it helps even more with distancing as it restricts loads of people at the Corkscrew statue entrance plaza and it spreads the crowds to let them enter at two different points. Hopefully, with the introduction of a second gate, we could also see more new rides and attractions to make this one of the country's top theme park resorts.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:44 pm

I’d like to clarify that although it would be an alright idea and it has been mentioned in the past, I do not believe it will happen in the next few years, if at all. Possibly if sw9 is located around there they could build it at the same time but I still don’t think it’s likely.
Thanks Jack

Janey75
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:18 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
I’d like to clarify that although it would be an alright idea and it has been mentioned in the past, I do not believe it will happen in the next few years, if at all. Possibly if sw9 is located around there they could build it at the same time but I still don’t think it’s likely.

I’ve just booked to stay at enchanted village and I’m sure it mentions a rear entrance to the park for hotel visitors. Is this not the case? I really need to find out as I need to know whether to park at the village first thing in the morning or go to the usual carpark.

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:45 pm

Janey75 wrote:
AltonOperator wrote:

I’ve just booked to stay at enchanted village and I’m sure it mentions a rear entrance to the park for hotel visitors. Is this not the case? I really need to find out as I need to know whether to park at the village first thing in the morning or go to the usual carpark.

As a hotel guest you get free parking near the hotels. Leave your car there. If there’s a hotel entrance then use that, if not, join the long queue to the main entrance.
Thanks Jack

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:25 pm

Alton Towers have submitted a planning application to establish an enhanced and slightly extended 'Heritage Tour' through the Towers Ruins.

TowersTimes News reviews all the details, including a look at the layout plans for scare mazes The Attic: Terror of the Towers, Altonville Mine Tours: Uncover the Legend of the Skin Snatchers, and Sub Species: The End Games.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:50 pm

Not sure if people caught it but there was a one off documentary about the re-opening over on Channel 4 last week.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/alt ... aster-year
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Tickets for the Christmas event are now on sale, Adults £24 (£12.50) and Children £15 (£12.50) - Bracket prices are for Annual Passholders.

It includes selected rides, a 45-minute Panto (Robin Hood, Santa's Woodland Grotto and more!

Chris
Team Admin
Team Admin
Topic Author

Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:51 pm