UK theme parks from another point of view!

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Alton Towers Resort - General Discussion

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Yeah it looks like an example of typical guest feedback
Formally Smiler313

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:22 pm

For those that can't:

We have had a great day at the theme park today, especially our meal at the Roller Coaster Restaurant. But I am disgusted that I have to pay £6 for the car park. I have spent over £200 on tickets to [come to] the theme park and £50 on food. Is that not enough [?]

Fairly common complaint I presume. Hate to think what Thorpe get with their £8 to £15 standard car park charge, depending on where you pay.

My concern here, is that if this is from a HR event, it's probably being used as a tool for addressing how people respond to disgruntled customers, rather than management addressing the actual problem.

Nickolai
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

It’s a little sad that they know these complaints are people telling the truth.
Formally Smiler313

DerpyQuark
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:19 pm

I’m really excited what they’ll do to improve Splash Landings. Perhaps they might give it a refurb, or a general spruce up.
Who knows with Merlin.
Nemmy and Icon are overrated.

“What’s an inversion Shannon?” -Mango18

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:56 pm

I'm sure I've seen that complaint about the car park, or one very similar on Facebook. I'm not sure how I feel about the car parking charge as it doesn't really affect me with my MAP. I understand that charges are used to control traffic flow and maintain services, but as Alton isn't really in a built up area, does it really need it?
If a charge was to be applied, wouldn't it be better if they applied an extra £1 or £2 onto ticket prices? That way a payment is being made to maintain the car park, but not directly through a parking charge. Controversial, I know!

With regards to Splash, I cant see them investing in new rooms etc. Prehaps an improved guest experience through entertainment and FB?

AltonOperator
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Justin wrote:
I'm sure I've seen that complaint about the car park,  or one very similar on Facebook. I'm not sure how I feel about the car parking charge as it doesn't really affect me with my MAP.  I understand that charges are used to control traffic flow and maintain services, but as Alton isn't really in a built up area, does it really need it?
If a charge was to be applied, wouldn't it be better if they applied an extra £1 or £2 onto ticket prices? That way a payment is being made to maintain the car park, but not directly through a parking charge. Controversial,  I know!

With regards to Splash, I cant see them investing in new rooms etc. Prehaps an improved guest experience through entertainment and FB?

Personally, I don't think the charge is restricting the amount of cars and controlling traffic flow at all. anyone coming in a car usually just deals with the charge. the car parks are just gravel. they shouldn't need a high amount to maintain them. if anything the charge is an issue because of the hold up when everyone rushes out but has to buy a token at the machines and then again when people are getting tokens scanned. It's also a terrible way to end a day. No one likes getting hit by hidden fees. my solution: add a little to the ticket price, as Justin said. It could act as a minor marketing point that they have free parking as well as alleviating the need for staff on the barriers and they can get rid of the machines. Guests will leave marginally happier, without a sour taste in their mouths when they head to trip advisor on the way home.
Thanks Jack

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 pm

AltonOperator wrote:
Personally, I don't think the charge is restricting the amount of cars and controlling traffic flow at all. anyone coming in a car usually just deals with the charge. the car parks are just gravel. they shouldn't need a high amount to maintain them. if anything the charge is an issue because of the hold up when everyone rushes out but has to buy a token at the machines and then again when people are getting tokens scanned.

My comment were more directed towards Thorpe Park, Legoland and Chessington where parks are located closer to built up areas. :)

Alton is a captured market, so is there really a need to charge at all. The ticket price rise could be a solution though! :)

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 pm

As just posted on TowersTimes social media, it looks as though the fates of Nemesis Sub-Terra and Twirling Toadstool are finally sealed, with the removal of their pages from the Resort's website.

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Not a surprise, but quite sad nevertheless.
It does make CCL more redundant than ever before!

Ladyofthelake
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 pm

As much as it isn't really a surprise to see these rides removed from the website, it is incredibly sad and disappointing to seemingly have confirmation of their permanent closure. I think Sub Terra's fate was pretty much sealed the moment a scare maze was allowed to be installed in there - why use that ride location for a maze if you planned to re-comission the ride at some point? Twirling Toadstool's removal sees yet another mid range family ride go - it just doesn't make sense to remove a ride that appeals to the market where Alton Towers currently have the largest gap in their line-up. Looking on social media, several people are also understandably angry as Twirling Toadstool was originally closed under the Alton TLC umbrella with the seeming promise if its return. The only thing I can think of is that although the original intention may have been to refurbish the ride, the Resort must have found a more serious issue which has meant it hasn't been possible to re-open it.

In terms of CCL, I have to agree that the area is becoming more and more of a redundant area. You only have Driving School, the Carousel, and Frog Hopper (which is now effecitvely made redundant by the CBeebies Drop Towers), plus House of Monsters at Scarefest. The area just doesn't have anything that grabs anyone - it doesn't even have an F&B outlet! The Resort seriously need to give CCL a complete overhaul asap otherwise it's going to fast become a nothing area. It's so sad and disheartening to see an area that once had so much life become a shadow of what it once was :(

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 pm

I do wonder if CCL will become the SW9 site, but that is a discussion for another day.

I do think we need to see some more flats added to the park. I expect maintenance on The Blade was forced somewhat as they knew another ride couldn't go.

GregH94
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:41 pm

With Toadstool, I’m guessing they were planning to refurb it, but the price they were quoted was more than it would be just to buy something brand new (that would also last longer) when CCL inevitably gets rethemed, and the ride may also not fit in with whatever they’ve got planned for that area. Forbidden Valley isn’t changing anytime soon so I can see why they’re dead set on keeping Blade around. 

I’ve heard the idea thrown around that they might seal off the whole area (except Dungeons obviously), move Carousel elsewhere on park and divert access to Driving School through the Towers...

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:54 pm

If the primary reason to close Twirling Toadstool was to refurbish it (as the TLC justification suggested), then you would have expected things to have been agreed and in place ahead of its closure, so the ‘turned out it was too expensive’ excuse for not reopening it wouldn’t be valid.

What seems more likely is that it was closed firstly to save costs, with management only contemplating the prospect of some sort of refurbishment works for which they were not able to actually secure the budget for.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Yet more flat rides bite the dust at Towers. Its a shame! I think everyone had already accepted that Sub Terra wouldn't be returning, but Twirling Toadstool is quite disappointing. I think the only times i'm near or in CCL in the past couple of years was to exit Hex or to do House of Monsters. Its like they are giving up with that corner of the park. I can't help but think the park is expecting The Dungeon to be more popular than it might be and thus expecting it to have a large queue to help spread the people around the park and therefore don't need the flat rides to help with queues. Plus it gives them the opportunity to earn extra money from people buying fastrack to skip the long queues.

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 pm

mgsb_insta has posted a photo showing the arcade in Dark Forest boarded up. It looks unlikely that it will return for 2019.

GregH94
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:20 pm

Could stick a new merch shop in there selling Thirteen and Rita stuff, there’s much more room in there compared to Thirteen’s old shop 

Swarm Chris
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 am

The 2019 map has just been released.

Source

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:45 am

I’m not sure how I feel about the map this year.

It looks much more cluttered than it already did, purely because they’ve added the accommodation options down the left hand side of the map, primarily to show off the Stargazing Pods.

While I understand the need for them to advertise the Pods wherever they can, I can’t help but feel it’s negatively impacted the map as, well, an actual map. It was never the most helpful tool to navigate the park, but this year it’s got even worse.

For those who don’t know otherwise, that map indicates the Pods are next to Katanga Canyon :lol

wamdue
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:59 am

GregH94 wrote:
Could stick a new merch shop in there selling Thirteen and Rita stuff, there’s much more room in there compared to Thirteen’s old shop 

That is a good idea actually.

Justin
Contributor
Contributor

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:14 am

Dan wrote:
I’m not sure how I feel about the map this year.

It looks much more cluttered than it already did, purely because they’ve added the accommodation options down the left hand side of the map, primarily to show off the Stargazing Pods.

While I understand the need for them to advertise the Pods wherever they can, I can’t help but feel it’s negatively impacted the map as, well, an actual map. It was never the most helpful tool to navigate the park, but this year it’s got even worse.

For those who don’t know otherwise, that map indicates the Pods are next to Katanga Canyon :lol

In addition, the maps are smaller to what they once were!