UK theme parks from another point of view!

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Winter maintenance

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Many of us can look around the park and you notice a lot of work has been happening during the winter. Many trees have come down and rides have had a touch up, shops have been improved as well.

But today I have to seriously complain about the replacement UV lighting they put in Duel over the winter months. I have been on this ride more times than I like to think and I have never noticed the UV lighting in there (Apart from that strobe which has the gap so all you see if the strobe and not the face it is supposed to be lighting up).

Has anyone else noticed loads of new/replaced UV lights which have been put in which stand out like a sore thumb, I mean you are drawn to the UV lights and not the ride itself?

Or am I being too observant?
If you go down to the woods today

SamSimkin
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Winter maintenance

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 pm

I noticed the same thing yesterday, like a moth to a flame.
Once thought air was the best. Then Th13teen for some reason.

Now I have found the ultimate beast ... OBLIVION

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am

Good it wasn't me then

Tom.B

Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:23 am

Yes I noticed this on Sunday. If they're going to put in UV lighting, put it somewhere where you can't see it, or is behind where the car goes past. It makes the ride a lot more unrealistic. Am I the only one who thought the fire exit signs were working, cause I've never noticed it before.

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Hi there, here are just a few things that I have noticed whilst on park today.

X-Sector
Lots of grinding noises coming from the smiler, a crane was situated around the bottom of the smiler for a couple of hours... It looks like it could be something to do with the smiler but it was too low to see so another suspicion of mine is moving large parts of the now retired Submission. Pictures of the crane follow.
Image Image

Ripsaw
As we were walking past, maintenance had started repainting the steel work at the front in a murky red colour:

Rita
Scaffold is down from the airtime hills, and one train was on the unload station. The other train wasn't to be seen.

Skyride
The cloud cuckoo land station was in quite a state with wheels and scaffold left right and centre!
Last edited by TomL on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle
TT Member
TT Member

Winter maintenance

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:13 am

I think Alton Towers have a big lightbulb budget for closed season this year, it's not just the enormously off putting black lights in Duel, most of the shops have had so many lights replaced that you can practically get a tan off them.

Sharkbait Reef has had a fair few new bits of scenery in the tanks, the main tank looks as though it's had some theming removed. Plenty of really cute little sharks in the old crab tank which I think are my new favourite animal.
There's also a pirate style ship facade over the bridge next to the old crab tank, it might not be new though, I may have just been unobservant last season!
Saw Rita testing with dummies in on Monday afternoon, nothing too interesting though.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:02 am

Why on earth are they putting in so many power hungry halogen lights when LED technology has come so far and can produce the same light but with less than 10% the power consumption. ...

Dr.Kelham
TT Member
TT Member

Winter maintenance

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 am

With regards to sharkbait reef, that will be because Hunstanton sealife is closed due to a storm surge, Alton was one of the places to rehome the fish etc
With thanks to lewis97 :)

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 am

bensaund wrote:
Why on earth are they putting in so many power hungry halogen lights when LED technology has come so far and can produce the same light but with less than 10% the power consumption. ...

I think they do use LED's when possible however using halogen light bulbs creates more of an atmosphere and aren't as bright so are just right for using when themeing.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 am

Ok for theming but not in a shop. They just need to buy ones which have the right colour temperature 27k for halogen and the right brightness. 

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:52 pm

I enjoyed a day on park yesterday and notice a few changes.  Some for the better and some for the worse!

What I can see of the Cbbebies land, it's looking good and the standard is going to be high.

The trees taken down around the flume and on the walk in between Duel and Nemisis makes the place look very bare and open, I've been told that these were removed due to health and safety.  It no longer feel like a woodland walk anymore.

Yes I too notice the new UV lights in duel and these did stand out like a saw thumb.  At least the rotating tunnel was working for once.

Looks like a lot have been given a spruce up, toilets smelling of fresh paint and so was the outside of the cafe/play area in the Cloud Cukoo Land which look like it was half done.

Hex looks like it has a bigger projection screen (unless I failed to notice this last year?) and new flat screen TVs inside. 

As I was leaving Hex, as I walked through the conservatory, there was a painter painting over the old faded design on the archway.

The main shop had has a refit for the better.

I was also told that the animals won't be returning to the farm/CBeebies land, I was told that these would be relocated to Chessington.

bensaund
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:02 pm

The hex screen is the same. But the projector did get replaced last year.

Has anyone noticed the big leak in the Duel mens toilets? Looks very bad and needs sorting asap

TomL
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Michelle wrote:
I think Alton Towers have a big lightbulb budget for closed season this year, it's not just the enormously off putting black lights in Duel, most of the shops have had so many lights replaced that you can practically get a tan off them.

Lets just hope they save a bit for some coloured bulbs at Scarefest!

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:28 pm

I must have been some what closer to the screen than usual.

No didn't notice the big leak in the duel toilets..

It was strange seeing the Flume lake empty of water though. 

Now with so many trees taken down, now they can definitely save on lighting for the scarefest by using one flood light to light up both pathways ...  ;)
Last edited by ROYJESS on Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ripsaw Raver
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Not a fan of Ripsaw paint work, I think it kinda detracts from the Rusted machine built from a post apocalyptic warzone
CHECK OUT MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/djthorpeimages/

Why is Nemesis Inferno really Inferior
MitchHawker Steel CoasterPoll 2012
Nemesis at #12
Nemesis Inferno at#123

Ronnopm94
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Let's hope The Smiler has a better year this year! And Duel has definitely had some maintenance. It's a shame about the lights. Sometimes they highlight the steel roof which detracts from the otherwise great theming and atmosphere.

Jamie
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Ronnopm94 wrote:
It's a shame about the lights. Sometimes they highlight the steel roof which detracts from the otherwise great theming and atmosphere.

Agreed, that's what lets Duel down IMO.
"ENTER VALHALLA!"

Zach
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 am

Ripsaw Raver wrote:
Not a fan of Ripsaw paint work, I think it kinda detracts from the Rusted machine built from a post apocalyptic warzone

I'd have to agree so many other areas on park that need painting (The Smiler track)  and that is one that doesn't and has argghhh alton are doing it wrong!

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:07 pm

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Ripsaw Raver wrote:

I'd have to agree so many other areas on park that need painting (The Smiler track)  and that is one that doesn't and has argghhh alton are doing it wrong!

This could just be a base layer of paint to acomodate the more rusted/ detailed paintwork? It does seem with The Smiler and Forbidden valley getting work the park will be looking fresh for the 2014 season :)

BenBowser
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm pretty sure it costs a lot more to pain a rollercoaster's track than it does a Top Spin's theming. Isn't all this work they are doing to The Smiler enough? As well as the addition of CBeebies land? :-s And people complain the entrance price has increased. :roll: