UK theme parks from another point of view!

pandapanda134
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Last minute coaster advice?

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 pm

So after 3 days on park, I still haven't managed to ride Nemesis. I didn't even manage to ride Rita, although I have once, I chickened out. The most I did was Sonic, Air and Thirteen (out of coasters) and although I did it 3 times, I still hated the 13 drop. I really honestly do want to try Nemesis but my mind wont let me, I always panic so much because I just know it's going to give me the butterflies in the stomach feeling and that feeling is the WORST (in my opinion) so any last minute advice? On how to just push myself on or bribe myself or any good mind tricks that might work?
I am going back to the park tomorrow :sick:

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Last minute coaster advice?

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:48 pm

The only advice I can give is it won't hurt you. They are all safe to ride and nothing will happen to you except a massive adrenaline rush when you get off. I was so scared about riding Nemesis and my friends were making it worse by saying horrible stuff. Once your in the queue the nervousness will slowly get replaced with excitement. I say just enter the queue. Don't think about it and just walk straight into the queue. Everytime the queue line moves tell yourself that it looks amazing and other positive things. Also you could try to play games on your phone to help you not think about it. She really isn't as bad as she looks and her bark is worse than her bite.

Inferno Attractions
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Just don't think about it because when you do you just go green and almost cry and panic (well that's what happened to me with Rita)

I've done Rita so you can do Nemesis (THE BEST RIDE IN THE WORLD!!!)
Don't think about it :yes:

Also my first time on Nemesis I felt frightened as well but as soon as the chain lift was over with I loved every second of it
Don't forget to don't think about it
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions

Danny
Contributor
Contributor

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 pm

I can't stress how much you NEED to do Nemesis! I remember my first time I started to cry as I know it's a seriously intimidating ride! But get past it, strap yourself in, wait till your moving and then tell yourself you don't want to as you know you have no choice!

Please, then you can say you have ridden one of the worlds best coasters! :)

pandapanda134
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Pizzazz wrote:
The only advice I can give is it won't hurt you. They are all safe to ride and nothing will happen to you except a massive adrenaline rush when you get off. I was so scared about riding Nemesis and my friends were making it worse by saying horrible stuff. Once your in the queue the nervousness will slowly get replaced with excitement. I say just enter the queue. Don't think about it and just walk straight into the queue. Everytime the queue line moves tell yourself that it looks amazing and other positive things. Also you could try to play games on your phone to help you not think about it. She really isn't as bad as she looks and her bark is worse than her bite.

Thanks I know they are safe, I'm not worried about that, I just hate air time :cry:
I forgot to mention, I have been in the queue and station last weekend as there was no queue, and I ended up walking straight out of the exit when we boarded
I am determined to ride tomorrow though

pandapanda134
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Inferno Attractions wrote:
Just don't think about it because when you do you just go green and almost cry and panic (well that's what happened to me with Rita)

I've done Rita so you can do Nemesis (THE BEST RIDE IN THE WORLD!!!)
Don't think about it :yes:

Also my first time on Nemesis I felt frightened as well but as soon as the chain lift was over with I loved every second of it
Don't forget to don't think about it

Yes, I do go green and panic alot! And almost cry, if not I do cry because of how scared I am. My whole body just makes me run awau from it all. Okay I will try and trick my mind and make fear into fun

pandapanda134
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:02 pm

DannyG wrote:
I can't stress how much you NEED to do Nemesis! I remember my first time I started to cry as I know it's a seriously intimidating ride! But get past it, strap yourself in, wait till your moving and then tell yourself you don't want to as you know you have no choice!

Please, then you can say you have ridden one of the worlds best coasters! :)

I probably no doubt will cry but ah, I will try to get myself onto it.

tallicay2k
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:30 pm

Seriously mate the first drop towards the queue line after the lift hill is an absolutely amazing feeling. Then the feeling whizzing around the helix at such speed. THIS HAS TO BE DONE!! Good luck :)
SEEK...AND...DESTROY

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Nemesis is great! I was shaking and panicking on my first go, but after you just want to ride it over and over! Just think about how much you'll enjoy it, and you'll be fine! :)

newrider
TT Member
TT Member

Last minute coaster advice?

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 pm

I know your feeling! I went there in November and was terrified by it. read the "coasterphobia" thread for the details. I stared at it endlessly and the longer I looked at it, the LESS willing I was to go on it.

But:

1) It's less intense than the launch to RITA, and you've been on that
2) The inversions are fairly spaced out, so you don't get too disoriented
3) you do NOT get butterflies in your stomach. Butterflies are caused by drops and nemesis doesn't have huge drops. Loops, contrary to their appearance, don't cause butterflies (in me). You feel very strong positive G-force - which is quite thrilling, and some people hate the sensation just like you hate "butterflies" - but it's very different - it's basically the opposite of butterflies. Th13teen has more "butterflies" than nemesis - both during the drop from the first hill, and the secret element you mentioned. The butterfly sensation is reduced further if you sit in the front seat because of where you are in the track when the train is accelerating.
4) if it was sooooo scary, wouldn't you hear people screaming during the "calm" bits as well as the inversions etc?
5) watching externally, there's a sort of illusion as to how much time you appear to spend upside down. You look at a loop and imagine the entire length of time the train takes to traverse that loop is "upside down" time, but actually it's a fraction of that since only a fraction of the train (I.e. Your car) accounts for YOU being upside down, and also a lot of the positions of a loop or other inversion are perfectly normal.
6) sitting in your seat, you do not FEEL upside down. I don't know how else to describe it, but the also-rotating seat your only frame of reference, you don't feel as you imagine you would based on what you see externally or even on online POVs - loops feel like "more intense" straight bits of track, and other inversions feel more like over banked turns.

You know RITA's launch? That's what nemesis feels like, but half as intense, but lasting through the entire ride instead of just five seconds.

I really hope you get on. I'm going back to the Towers on Sunday - why I hear you ask? Its because I chickened out of the Smiler and Oblivion, just like I nearly chickened out of Nemesis on my last visit, and I'm going to cross them off my list (as well as re- ride my favourites of course!). And just to show you're not alone - I'm reasonably relaxed about riding the Smiler but I've no idea if I'll have what it takes to ride Oblivion. (I hate the butterflies feeling too!)

If you end up visiting again on (or can wait until) Sunday, I'd be more than happy to drag you on...

buzzingstar01
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:24 am

Nemesis isnt something you should fear, its something you should love!!
The adrenaline you get is amazing and you feel so secure from start to finish you dont want to get off!! There is no uncomfort in it really and when you come off you will want more of it. Just make sure you go on the front row first time and you will get straight back on.
Do it and enjoy

Garnetto
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:18 am

Don't worry! Nemmy is by far the best ride on park, but i don't find it as bad as Rita! As soon as you get on the classic B&M pre-drop you'll love it until you get back into the station. The front row is way less intense than the back, and you'll REALLY want to go on again :D ! The new restraints are a lot more comfy than the old ones, so they will make you feel more comfortable.

Just think what you will feel like when you come off! It will make you want to ride again and again, and you will feel proud that you have done it, even though it is not bad!

I hope you get on and enjoy it! :D
Happy 20th Birthday to Nemmy and 1st Birthday to The Smiler!
Credit to Lewis97 for my AWESOME signature!

Tupperwarequeen
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:10 pm

I'm hoping to try some of the 'big' rides tomorrow with my ES. Previously only done RMT - yeah I know, but we never did theme parks when I was younger! Am nervous but I really want to do it

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:53 am

Does anyone have any advice on getting children to go on coasters? My sister is 10, and 1.3m. She will soon be 1.4m and able to go on the big ones. The only problem is that shes a bit of a wimp. She loves RMT but is absolutely terrified of Sonic. She went on 13 but didn't know about the drop (which she hated). My brother also hates the drops on 13 and Oblivion but will ride Air/Nemesis/Sonic/Rita all day long.

Does anybody have any advice, maybe ways you have gotten children onto their first big(ish) ride. I understand that they will look terrifying for her, but I know she will love them, I thought about making her ride it anyway but I don't want to traumatize her into never riding again, even though I'm sure she will come off loving it.

Edit

She also loves riding The Rapids, Barrels, The Flume, Heave Ho, Twirling Toadstool, Enterprise, so thats why I think it is just a normal fear of coasters that people get when looking at them for the first time.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:22 am

Speaking from my own personal experience, the best way to get someone to do their first big coaster is to never make them feel pressured and just wait for them to decide it's time. I never get why people are so desperate to get their family on the rides anyway, if someone doesn't want to they don't have to...
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:32 pm

I didn't want to make my sister feel pressured, I just know how much she will love them. We are both going to BPB on Saturday and have agreed on the rides we are going on. I think BPB has some good middle ground rides and coasters which help the transition. Even if it means gritting my teeth and doing Blue Flyer first, Hopefully we will do Grand National and The Big Dipper.

Tupperwarequeen
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 pm

stealthsmiler wrote:

Does anybody have any advice, maybe ways you have gotten children onto their first big(ish) ride. I understand that they will look terrifying for her, but I know she will love them, I thought about making her ride it anyway but I don't want to traumatize her into never riding again, even though I'm sure she will come off loving it.

Today my ES and I got my YS to go on air and nemesis for the first time (first time for me too today :lol ) we got him to walk up with us, and just said if you don't want to go on, you can just go straight through to the other side. He walked through nemesis twice, and air once, before finally giving air a go - and he loved it!! wanted to go straight on again. Then he decided to give nemesis one more try, he held my hand all the way up the queue and on the ride - I could hear him screaming, but because of the head restraints I couldn't see his facial expression, so had no idea if it was a good scream or a bad scream IYSWIM, anyways, when we stopped and the restraints lifted he was screaming I love it, and we had to go back for another go!! The girl at the front of the ride gave him a big thumbs up when we went back for the 4th time when he told her he'd finally done it :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is, you have to let them do it at their own pace - but going through the queue with no pressure to actually do the ride is what worked for us in the end. ( and for myself, I let him know that I was nervous, not having done it before, but that I really wanted to do it and that I knew if I could just get on it once it'd be ok)

Good luck!!!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks, Ive told her that she can queue with me for them all and then stand at the side if shes too scared. She also agreed to baby steps. If we can gradually ease her into them one obstacle at a time, then hopefully each progression shouldn't be too scary. I also reassured her by promising that I wont make her ride the Big One, although she may have to queue with me.

I know with her, a lot of it comes down to what it looks like. With 13, Its all hidden so she wasn't too scared (found the theme more scary) but with Sonic, she can see the whole big, noisy and fast coaster, which scares her.