UK theme parks from another point of view!

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ride Downtime 2014

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:22 pm

I cant believe how bad it's been today. Whole of x sector shut in the morning, RMT shut, skyride was very hit and miss, Rita was down, smiler was down again when we were on it (although we were on the break run so wasnt too bad). Thats all I know but still that it was terrible. In the queue for the smiler now so hope it doesn't break down again.

reddwarf
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:18 pm

The more advance and technical rides get then more this will happened they have numerous safety measures built in so it only needs to see a fault for the ride not to operate. It will improve year on year as they understand how to correct the faults or the manufacturer comes up with fixes. these rides aren't off the shelf they are all bespoke.

Red

Oblivion guy
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:22 pm

Rita's down at the mo :(

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:24 pm

Oblivion guy wrote:
Rita's down at the mo :(

It was yesterday for about 20-30 minutes

Setebos
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 am

Rita seemed to be down for absolutely ages yesterday (made the queue for Th13teen much longer :() Air was also down for a short period of time but don't know why.

Smiley
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52 pm

No reason for the Smiler to be down; was so last week when I was there. Complex/technical; not really... All they have to do is make sure they pass points with the right speed and at the right time. Basic stuff really.

A 777 - now that's complex! And flies 18 hours a day forever! Perhaps coaster engineers aren't great at writing software :-)

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Rita and Sonic are down now. It's really annoying, there's about 5 breakdowns in one day! Come on AT please sort this out.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:49 pm

lf2001 wrote:
Rita and Sonic are down now. It's really annoying, there's about 5 breakdowns in one day! Come on AT please sort this out.

They're probably only temporary technical glitches, I would have thought they'd both be back up before park close.

lewis97
Team Admin
Team Admin

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:53 pm

The problem with Ridetimes is that it allows everyone to monitor the rides' operating status and so people are now able to see when rides go down, whereas before they'd be none the wiser. As it is only updated on a half hourly basis, if a ride happens to be down for a short period when the site is updated, its downtime can be massively exaggerated and seem more significant than it really is. Most theme parks will face multiple breakdowns/short periods of downtime, in one day, but they don't publicise them.

Whilst Ridetimes is great for getting an idea of what the queues might be like on your visit, I don't think it's the best tool for monitoring downtime as it can be somewhat misleading.

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am

Looking on ride times, Rita and Sonic still seem to be down. I don't know whether they may not of updated it yet, or if they are still down. If they are down, I wonder what's wrong...

LittlestarRed
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05 am

Rita and Sonic were down a lot during my visit this week, but only for short periods. Most other rides seemed to operating well.

Air was closed for a while on Tuesday, but not due to a breakdown. Ambulance access was needed, as a child had collapsed in the area and was unconscious.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:34 pm

Nemesis is currently closed?
I would not usually post a short period of Downtime on this topic regarding any other ride at The Alton Towers Resort however I know that Nemesis has extremely good reliability hence my post. I also realise that all rides face issues at some point during a season therefore I am not overly concerned about her temporary closure however I though it might be of interest to the rest of TT's members.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Ride Downtime 2014

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
Nemesis is currently closed?
I would not usually post a short period of Downtime on this topic regarding any other ride at The Alton Towers Resort however I know that Nemesis has extremely good reliability hence my post. I also realise that all rides face issues at some point during a season therefore I am not overly concerned about her temporary closure however I though it might be of interest to the rest of TT's members.

Nemesis was still running when I left the park at 3pm, and I checked RideTimes an hour later and she was still up, so she must have gone down late in the day. She was only running 1 train during ERT this morning due to maintenance but from what I gather went to full operation pretty much at 10 o'clock.

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:16 pm

I checked Ridetimes.co.uk at 4;30 so I presume Nemesis went down around about that time of the day.

dollyry
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Nemesis was replaced on ERT by Air on Tuesday and Wednesday due to tech issues. It was down on and off throughout the day Wednesday too. It was on ERT time again today though.

Sr88
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Was there a problem with Oblivion today? It was shut when I looked at the queue times, around 4:30.

dollyry
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:52 am

Yeah, not sure of the exact issues it was having but there were some riders stuck on it for over an hour before they were evacuated from Oblivion.

Over the last few days almost everything has been down at one point or another which has never actually happened on any of my trips to Alton Towers. The temperature has jumped rather significantly lately with the odd thunderstorm too so that could perhaps account for it.

smeg_head
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:08 pm

dollyry wrote:
Yeah, not sure of the exact issues it was having but there were some riders stuck on it for over an hour before they were evacuated from Oblivion.

I was one of the riders evacuated from Oblivion yesterday. We seemed to go straight over the drop instead of being held. We also seemed to stop a lot quicker on the break run than usual. Technicians were working at the top of the drop as the ride staff evacuated us. I was stuck for 30 mins but there were other riders stuck longer.

The staff were brilliant and professional throughout.

Smiler, Rita and Nemesis: Sub Terra were all down at various point through the day.

daveclarkedaveclarke
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:40 pm

Having just come back from 2 days at Alton Towers the main thing i saw was that when the smiler went to 5 trains from 4 it caused quite a bit of a delay.

lf2001
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Was a bit ago, but when I visited on May 3rd, Skyride, Rita, 13 and Air all broke down between 9-11am. Was very annoying as we only got on two rides between 9am and lunchtime!