UK theme parks from another point of view!

Thorpe Towers 13
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Ripsaw a bit tame these days?

Sat May 17, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi all

Im going Alton Towers next Thursday (Woo hoo) and was wondering if Ripsaw gets you wet at all? Been the past three years and the first time was brilliant! Got soaked right through (had been on it couple of times before that and it was the same). However, the other two times the water came within inches to the car and passengers then the carriage just flipped. Have they had to turn the water down so it doesn't hit people anymore? And if so why?

Hari
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Ripsaw a bit tame these days?

Sun May 18, 2014 12:00 am

The water hasn't been lowered and it all depends on luck. If you didn't already know, Ripsaw runs different cycles throughout the day. (As do all other HUSS Top Spins) Some cycles flip the gondola hundreds of times and get you drenched! However, some consist of one or two flips and hardly go near the water. The ride operator can choose which cycle to use and I believe there are 3 or 4. Also, it depends on the weather because nobody likes to get soaked on a cold day unless you are crazy! :)

sully1311
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 18, 2014 1:16 am

Think they only have the water hit you on warm/hot days now. I got the sequence that flips the gondola four times in a row, and they did it twice! Loved it!

PS. What has happened to the "Can you Cut it" sign at the bottom of the gondola? Wasn't there last week.

Coasterfellow
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 18, 2014 11:26 am

i asked the ride operator and he said he had to turn the water down because a woman complained about getting soaked.
^Thanks to Nemesis Rider for the Signature! ;)

Hari
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 18, 2014 11:57 am

What on earth.. If you go on a water ride you are supposed to get soaked...
People these days... ](*,)

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun May 18, 2014 9:48 pm

Went last Wednesday when it was hot and was very surprised at the ride op, most tame routines ever. I don't like the fact it has different variations it should just stick with an intense routine. It's one of the better rides at AT when its in full swing, well the more gut wrenching anyway.

As for the water, they do seem to not use it to its full effect nowadays. This routine gets these poor beggars soaked and I've never seen it do this routine of all the times I've been: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOoo1PDwRg

Thorpe Towers 13
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Sun May 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Ok thanks guys. I knew about different sequences, I just guess I keep getting tame ones #-o lol. Re the sign I noticed that and have no idea. Oh I do hope someone didnt complain! Especially about a water ride DX thats like complaining Rita is too fast! :dizzy:

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:11 pm

During yesterday Ripsaw went between 2 different sequences but yet to see the jets come into play, anyone been this year seen these work in conjunction with a sequence? I'm guessing it will be more popular if people know you won't get soaked.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:22 pm

I actually prefer not getting wet. I love Ripsaw, my favourite flat ride at Alton Towers, although I don't really like getting wet, I love the ride sequence. I like the way it stops inches from your face. It does need to be more intense though.

PeteB
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:36 pm

Ripsaw has always been hit or miss with the water. It's controlled by the operator and depending on the weather, plus how cruel the op is feeling you will get different rides.

On very hot days, you're likely to get a good soaking. :)

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:54 pm

K next time I'm there on a hot day I'll scream at the ride operator to crank it up a notch :D

Sr88
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:30 pm

I think it would be good if one always gets a little wet. Not soaked, and not on a cold day, but it's not as much fun otherwise!

Everton-99
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Last time i went on ripsaw i was chatting to the ride operater who said that it was always better riding ripsaw when it was busy as the weight of people on the ride affects the carriage spinning - obviously there are numerous settings but if it was on setting 1 and there were two people on it one time and 40 the next the carriage is going to behave very differently!

Also riding it in the afternoon when the ride has warmed up is a better option as well apparently!

sadie123
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:23 am

There are most definitely not as many 360 degree spins as there used to be. Maybe as an experienced Ripsaw rider, I have become somewhat immune to how 'scary' it seemed at first. But I remember it and the 360 spins used to be awesome. Now it goes for the dangly water threat. Which seems a good idea, as you can...and I have...got soaked. However, it seems a bit of an anti-climax when you then don't get wet. I've been on it at various times of day and I've found no difference, maybe its slightly faster in the afternoon.

Tom
Team Admin
Team Admin

Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:23 pm

TheSmilerMan ended up securing a few of us a good soaking at last year's Sizzler. :)

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:19 pm

The jets were working with the sequences today but needless to say nobody got soaked.

andymac746
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:07 pm

It was wetting people's heads on Friday not a full soaking.

fillc85
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:10 pm

I love ripsaw and will be sad when it goes as per the development plan. The water serves two purposes to give you something to focus your attention on when you spin to stop you feeling sick.

And to the woman who complained I would have said "do one" its not a surprise you get wet. you can see others coming off dripping wet through. If she didn't want to get wet she shouldn't have gone on and she certainly shouldn't have complained - Rant over :)

Chadwick
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Answer to your question mate. The ripsaw has 9 sequences from tame to gut wrenching. Also water fountain height settings go from to not wet to bloody drown. If you want a good soaking you're more likely to get it on hot days or the last ride of the day. If it's cold or pouring down rain would you go on the log flume rapids or the pirate boats where you can get squirted by the public? Hence the different water sequences.

Two videos on youtube will show 2 sequences of the ride that are commonly used - 1 tame and 1 with 4-5 spins from lift. These are used alot in dry-damp sequences but these 2 links show you them in drench mode. One is on youtube under ripsaw on PMT. and here's the other. You could just do what these guys did in this video but again this was late afternoon so enjoy. Hope this answers your question. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/UEoDc-FYw2A
Last edited by lewis97 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SPG

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Actually hung stationary for a good 10 seconds fully upside down today, it had some teething issue, lucky beggars who were on it got to do the whole sequence again.