UK theme parks from another point of view!

JustWill
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Cbeebies Land VS Old Macdonald's Farmyard

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:34 am

So... Cbeebies Land has been open for over 3 months now...
Is it better than the farmyard or not?

In my opinion, in many ways it is better,
But I feel that the nostalgia from that area of the park has gone, and that they have butchered squirrel nutty :cry:

nemefan08
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Cbeebies Land VS Old Macdonald's Farmyard

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Ceebeebies land, bit angry that most of the rides are just rethemes of old rides.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:13 pm

I dislike the new rethemes. For one, it is a.blatant grab at more money both from sponsorship and for attracting more people into a usually quite overcrowded park, setting the tone a bit lower. Come on Merlin... You have enough money as it is...
Secondly, it restricts the usage of the area for people that arent particularly fond of rides (or to the more blunt people like me, cowards). For example, an anonymous family member of mine who is aged 13, who really wanted to go in "Berry Bish Bash", although he was discouraged from doing so due to the new design.
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:19 pm

CBeebies Land isn't sponsored by CBeebies, Alton Towers have had to purchase the IP and like any investment of course it is aimed to attract more guests. I guess this investment was different in the respect that it was aimed at much younger guests, so the visitors who come to the park for CBeebies Land are unlikely to contribute to larger queues in the majority of the rest of the park.

chrish
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:41 pm

I miss the animals that used to sing. I also feel the area could do with the return of some animals. The donkeys have moved to Chessington and other animals elsewhere. I think a small zoo/petting type area would be good.

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Put a mute button on Treetop Adventure and make In The Night Garden less patronizing then I will be 100% happy with Cbeebies Land.

ROYJESS
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Cbeebies land is great for business in the short term for Alton.

But personally I preferred the old farm. Missing the animals, the farm appealed to all age groups. OK the farm was a little run down, but nothing that a lick of paint couldn't fix. The farm also had some character with the old tractors with the faces on, the book worm and the singing barn. There was something magical/enchanted about the farm. The farm fitted in well with the atmosphere of the towers.

On the other hand Cbeebies is just the farm that has been completely graffiti. Attraction wise, nothing has really been added. It sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't really fit in with the towers. Not really appealing unless you are a toddler.

The only good thing that has really come out of the Cbeebies land is the entertainment area.

Just my personal opinion.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:18 am

Cbeebies looks full now but old macdonalds farm rides were always with a max queue of 5 mins. In its last year of operation Storybookland and old McDonald's farm looked run down

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:44 am

As above the ip is likely to have brought a lot more money than the farm which looked really run down and some things were breaking in the singing barn and all the rides looked in a bad condition apart from the tractors, I found the bookworm scarier than any ride because of when it had something showing in its mouth, one time I pressed the button and it just made lots of weird noises. Cbeebies is the most popular channel for under 6s and was better than a farm refurb because the kids can recognise what hey see from the TV. It will be on par with Thomas land in 2 years I think. (Or I could just prefer it to any of cbeebies but Thomas land has constantly got new rides and seems more of a separate theme park than a tiny area because of the fact the open it separately off season and it is really immersive in the theming. Cbeebies is probably the best planning area from Merlin along with thirteen. The Smiler is the best thing but was causing problems everywhere when it opened.

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 pm

To me the farm was more family friendly. Yes the rides were aimed more at young children but the animals were suitable for all ages as was the Berry Bish Bash, even the tractors and River Bank Eye Spy were bearable for older children and adults, and the theme was family friendly. Cbeebies land restricts the area to under 5's. The Farm was also timeless and could have gone a lot longer before needing any major work, theme-wise where as Cbeebies Land will need to have it's rides rethemed as shows are cancelled and started (although it does give Alton something to advertise on Cbeebies). The Farm was also original unlike Cbeebies. I understand that an IP helps draw people in and also that IP lands are popular in the UK at the moment but when Alton has a whole IP land along with Charlie, Ice Age, Sonic it looks a bit much and makes it look like Alton can't come up with their own decent theme.

However Cbeebies Land does look impressive and isn't a bad land, I just think it took over a good original land and that the money would have been better off spent transforming Cloud Cukoo Land (even though I love the area) into Ice Age Land as it is more family friendly, they have already started doing it and CCL is looking run down and needs some TLC whilst The farmyard was looking fine.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:13 am

There are pros and cons to CBeebies Land.

Being a large land, it holds multiple modern "kiddie" attractions, which means that Merlin won't make the mistake of adding more "Kiddie" rides in other areas of the park (areas in which we could have some thrilling flats).

It holds multiple recognisable characters, making the kids more likely to want to ride the attractions. To a 3-year-old, Justin Fletcher is a lot more appealing than a farmer, meaning they are more likely to ride these rides, meaning the older people in the group have less time to ride the coasters, hopefully resulting in a slight drop in coaster queues.

In addition to this, I could not see Old Macdonald's Farmyard lasting another 10 years, but I can see CBeebies Land lasting 10 years (if the contract is kept).

But can CBeebies Land last for 10 years? Some characters will go out of date. For example, 10 years ago the 2nd biggest (behind the Tweenies) CBeebies show was The Fimbles. I challenge you to find any 3-year-old and ask them who The Fimbles are. Will we not get the same problems?

Also, WHY WHY WHY do that to Squirrel Nutty. It was one of the most magical attractions, as was the whole of the farmyard, and it seems that it has all been replaced by "modern" magic. And we all know that modern magic is nowhere near as good as Tussauds magic ...

Overall, I think that CBeebies Land was a good investment in the short term, but a terrible idea for the long term.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

KatangaZebra
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:35 pm

To me, Cbeebies Land looks quite artificial and tacky. The obvious thing to attract publicity for a children's area was to mix it up with something they love. Towers got their way out of being creative this time but how many more times will this happen? There was something magical about Old MacDonald's Farmyard that us all go 'wow' when we saw it, when we were young and older. What happens when these shows finish and kids move onto new cbeebies shows. Or when these kids grow up? The children younger than them won't be as attracted to the area because they don't know the shows that some of the rides are themed around. Squirrel Nutty had something so special to it, I think it was Bookworm, but I honestly think that that magic can never be rethemed to something more "magical"

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 pm

I'm surprised to say this, but Cbeebies is better than Old Macdonalds farm, by a long, long way, it is very well done tbh, although I haven't ridden anything there, my sisters say it is a load better for rides than before :D

Alex Tyler
TT Member
TT Member
Location: Air, Forbidden Valley, Alton Towers, Alton, Staffordshire, ST10 4DB

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm

I miss the short cut to Sonic the most, and has anyone heard the pause announcement on GSGTTA its awesome.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:17 pm

KatangaZebra wrote:
To me, Cbeebies Land looks quite artificial and tacky. The obvious thing to attract publicity for a children's area was to mix it up with something they love. Towers got their way out of being creative this time but how many more times will this happen? There was something magical about Old MacDonald's Farmyard that us all go 'wow' when we saw it, when we were young and older. What happens when these shows finish and kids move onto new cbeebies shows. Or when these kids grow up? The children younger than them won't be as attracted to the area because they don't know the shows that some of the rides are themed around. Squirrel Nutty had something so special to it, I think it was Bookworm, but I honestly think that that magic can never be rethemed to something more "magical"

To the children that love In the Night Garden or Mr Bloom, the area is magical at the moment.

As for changing when the programmes are no longer popular, from other reports the BBC will encourage them to change it. I am sure Cbeebies would be looking to promote new programmes by adding them to the line-up at AT.