UK theme parks from another point of view!

Inferno Attractions
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author

Is Alton Towers losing its Magic?

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:33 am

Is Alton Towers losing it's Magic?

I feel that recently (ever since Rita was installed) Alton Towers is losing it's Magic.
To me it feels less of a Magical experience.
However the Alton Towers Hotel still holds that old magical vibe.

I would like to hear what you all think of this and how the Magic can be brought back

Thanks
Thanks to lewis97 for the signature (I think he may be a Wizard)

Inferno Attractions

inFusion
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Is Alton Towers losing it's Magic?

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Tussauds binned the "Where The Magic Never Ends" slogan when they started adding larger coasters. IMO the magic is long gone (the hotel is themed around magic anyway so it still exists in that case) and Merlin probably don't want it around.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Re: Is Alton Towers losing it's Magic?

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Merlin don't want the magic theme? merlin named after the wizard who's entire annual pass stuff is themed around magic? I don't think Alton is loosing its "magic" as its more of an atmosphere rather than the entire place is full on magic themed. Its still a nice place to be and has a good atmosphere its just lost some of it as times have changed. People don't say hello to each other any more and if you talk to someone else in a queue you are considered odd. I think its more of the sort of people going rather than the park itself.

Lee
Fabulous
Fabulous

Re: Is Alton Towers losing its Magic?

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:50 pm

It's an interesting question and one that's been debated tirelessly.

I'm not sure the whole 'magic' thing exists in the same respect that it did previously because the park has adapted to the general public's demands who simply want thrills and rides. The Tussauds 'where the magic never ends' experience is a very 90's early 00 ideology and something today's audience just won't relate to.

The park constantly reinvests itself; sometimes subtly and others very obviously. I think anyone would be wrong to stand in CBeebies Land and suggest the resort no long has a feel of magic and immersion to it. The difference is that it's a modern magic, that's targeted towards today's market and not the one of the 90's.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Mutiny Bay or thirteen brought it back. Before that I look back and think it left in 2003 the magic is slowly coming back with the smiler and cbeebies land

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:10 pm

It all depends on where you are in the park. Mutiny Bay, Katanga Canyon and Forbidden Valley all retain the magic whilst The Dark Forest has no atmosphere whatsoever, Cloud Cukoo Land lost it's magic when Ice Age was installed (I always walked through CCL as I never felt like I visited AT unless I went there, But Ice Age and it's theming has meant the area has lost it's good theme) and I even feel X Sector isn't as good due to the Smiler's theme. I know the two are linked but it seems very tedious and clash when next to each other. The Smiler should have taken on a much more obviously sinister look. CeBeebies Land is also brilliant but doesn't have the magic that Old McDonalds Farm had due to it not being an original theme to AT. It seems to be that yes since Rita, the installments have lost their magic and that those that retain it, are slowly being replaced by ones that don't (minus Mutiny Bay).

However AT will always have the Towers and Gardens which to me, it what make's the park such a nice place to be.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:04 am

The magic been lost since all the benefits that were free years ago you have to Pay for now (Parking&Fast track) I just feel now from the moment you entry the gates to you leave there trying to squeeze every bit of money guests have brought with them. Even with the food since the likes of Mcdonalds&KFC left the prices are getting out of control that a family of 4 can't afford to pay on top of £100 they paid to get into the park with vouchers. The only bit of magic left now is the sun free ticket deals for all the Merlin parks.

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:48 am

Simple answer is no, we have got older.

I am sure that if you look at the faces of the children meeting Iggle Piggle or Upsey Daisy and riding in Postman Pats van you will see the magic.

Luce
Contributor
Contributor

Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:07 pm

I still think Alton Towers has a great feel about it despite the input of Merlin and all the things they've bought with them and always enjoy my time there.

KoasterKraver
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Alton Towers has definitely lost its magic, even for the younger ones. With the exception of the new CBeebies land, alton towers must:
- Keep the new logos
- Restore the golden pipe graphics around
- Advertise the hotels better
- Restore the old scare mazes. For example the 2010 version of the boiler house and the carnival of screams
- Make the music more magical
- Add more of an atmosphere
- Make the park seem more old fashioned

jon18uk
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm

KoasterKraver wrote:
Alton Towers has definitely lost its magic, even for the younger ones. With the exception of the new CBeebies land, alton towers must:
- Keep the new logos
- Restore the golden pipe graphics around
- Advertise the hotels better
- Restore the old scare mazes. For example the 2010 version of the boiler house and the carnival of screams
- Make the music more magical
- Add more of an atmosphere
- Make the park seem more old fashioned

Why? All the will achieve is making the park feel old and outdated. They need to keep moving, find new ideas.

Creating atmosphere is difficult, but they have added new entertainment this year such as the Traffic Warden characters and also Postman Pats van.

How do you define magical music? For some children hearing the music from their favourite Cbeebies show is magical. For those of us that went to Alton Towers in the 1990s and 2000s there is something about the Towers Street music. Personally the song "Walking on Sunshine" (by Katrina and the Waves) reminds me of AT as me and my Mum stood in front of a stage (that used to be where Woodcutters is now) watching a group perform while my Dad and brother were on the Corkscrew.

Each one of us has something different that defines magical and theme parks would just become museums if they tried to keep everything that all of us like.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 pm

You really got to have gone to the parks in the 90's. You had street entertainment on towers street in the mornings and on your way home. You had the parade,Ice show,Live music and entertainment while you queued. Here is a example of what you got https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_JIkst20k

Jamie
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:31 pm

I didn't visit Alton Towers in the 90's, but there is definitely no magic there now. As for it being because we have got older, I disagree. I still feel the magic at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but never have done at Alton.

ponder
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 pm

Katanga Canyon definitely retains some of the magic. Despite being in my mid-30s, I still get a slightly warm feeling inside whenever I hear the Katanga music, strolling up the walkway past the rapids. The rest of the park not so much. Even Towers Street doesn't have the same vibe it used to have. That has sadly been replaced by up-sellers hounding guests for photos and fast-traks.

The only UK theme park that really has that 'magic' feeling left is probably Chessington. Possibly due to their inability to expand and evolve due to financial and planning restrictions. Ironically, the thing preventing them from moving forward is also the thing that attracts me to the park.

Burniel
TT Member
TT Member

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:41 pm

I think it is.

Back in the day (despite not being a visitor), rides and areas were magical and cheerful. You had Forbidden Valley and X-Sector for your apocalypse/danger themes, and the rest were family areas (Cred Street, UG Land etc), but now most of the areas are doom and gloom, or poorly themed or generally cheap. Look at The Smiler, which, in comparison to its predecessors, is downright ugly. A ride like this wouldn't have been considered in the 90s and early 00s, but well-themed, good looking rides like Nemesis and Oblivion were.
Burniel | Great at theme park knowledge, not so great at designing signatures.

dantheman
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:32 pm

I dont think so, walking down towers street listening to the music and seeing the towers in front of you, I think is just magic!

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:50 am

I think half the issue is, 10 years ago the buildings and the style were with the times. They've never had new facades, and all they really have is a lick of paint so it all feel's a bit 80's.

They've now started to just dump things around the parks, like signage etc. In my opinion, they really need to take some cues from the likes of Disney and Universal. I know they've have got that kind of money, but small things will make such a difference

Count-Vonduel
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:54 pm

go In Oct (before Scarefest) and ride RMT, then tell me AT has no magic left.

Alton13Nemesis
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:24 am

I cannot believe we are even debating this. Of course the magic is still there-its Alton Towers!

Morgan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Alton Towers will always be magical.
The feeling you get that you know behind those trees on your right is X-Sector. (on the journey)
When you get a birds eye view from the Monorail.
Walking (running) down Towers Street with the music.
Riding RMT and hearing everybody scream with joy.
Hearing the Nemmy music...
Alton Towers will always be magical.