UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
dansandman
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 4
Joined: June 2013
Location: Wirral

Park tips and tricks

Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:33 pm

I run a website/podcast/YouTube channel with a couple of friends and we're BIG fans of Alton Towers. We go around 5 or 6 times a year and, while I'm sure we're not as experienced as some of you guys on this forum, we definitely know a few useful things about the Towers. We have a few videos on our YouTube channel that feature the park and we're heading back on Monday and want to film a video offering tips and tricks to get the most out of your day at the towers. Things like which rides to head to at what time of day, which rides' single rider queues are worth using (ie Spinball Whizzer' SRQ when it's raining goes VERY quickly!), even tips for maxing out your score on duel.

So the point of this post is do any of you guys have any tips or interesting things that are worth sharing? We'll happily credit any that we use with your name and/or twitter/youtube username, and even Towers Times if any of the mods would like us to.

Also, I've not mentioned the name of our site/channel purely because I don't want you guys to think this is all a self promoting post. I reckon a video with some tips and tricks could be useful to anyone visiting the Towers for the first time, so why not share our knowledge! Thanks in advance.
 
User avatar
Morgan
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: September 2014
Location: The Barricade

Re: Park tips and tricks

Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:07 am

Put my tip under the name "TowersTheory":
Head over to FV or DF for short queues- they will get bigger later in the day.
With Duel, do a few rounds without shooting so you know where the targets are.
Image
 
dansandman
TT Member
TT Member
Topic Author
Posts: 4
Joined: June 2013
Location: Wirral

Re: Park tips and tricks

Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks for that. That's always been our route when we go. Forbidden valley is so much quieter first thing. Am I right that I heard the woodland walk is now closed for the building of the new lodges?
 
User avatar
Kirsty25
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1753
Joined: January 2013
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Park tips and tricks

Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:09 pm

dansandman wrote:
Thanks for that. That's always been our route when we go. Forbidden valley is so much quieter first thing. Am I right that I heard the woodland walk is now closed for the building of the new lodges?


Yes I believe you're right that it's closed, I've heard the same thing.
 
lucozade
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 105
Joined: September 2014

Re: Park tips and tricks

Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:45 pm

My tip is never think walking across the valley is faster than the sky gondolas hahahaha

I got lost in there for over an hour last halloween, when its dark in there. Its REALLY dark. We found some girls lost in there too they said they had been lost for nearly 2 hours hahaha.
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2289
Joined: June 2009
Location: Stockport

Re: Park tips and tricks

Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:09 pm

lucozade wrote:
My tip is never think walking across the valley is faster than the sky gondolas hahahaha

I got lost in there for over an hour last halloween, when its dark in there. Its REALLY dark. We found some girls lost in there too they said they had been lost for nearly 2 hours hahaha.


They close The Gardens when it gets dark as people can't see where they're going and it becomes a H&S issue. So if you were in The Gardens in darkness you shouldn't have been.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
SuperWill
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 330
Joined: September 2012
Location: Forbidden Valley Next To Nemesis! :D

Re: Park tips and tricks

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Some of my tips for Alton Towers:

Get there for Early Ride Time.
Head to Forbidden Valley or Dark Forest first.
Have lunch before 12pm or after 1.30pm.
Use the Single Rider Queues if you are on your own or are willing to split up.
Ride The Smiler during late-afternoon.
Watch the Pirate show in Mutiny Bay if you want some good entertainment.
If you know your going to have more than one drink then I suggest buying the red all-day refillable drinks capsule which costs £7.
If you visit during a busy period then I suggest staying in one of the hotels as you will be able to do everything during the two days you are there.

Hope I helped! :)
Image

Credit to Lewis97 :) 

Sit back, it's fright time! :D
 
User avatar
sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 769
Joined: December 2012

Re: Park tips and tricks

Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:36 pm

The drinks capsules are a waste of money unless you intend on drinking more than 3 drinks excluding meals as a drink comes free with most meals.
Dont stay in the alton hotels if you are a passholder or booked online as they are very expensive and passholders or online booking still get ERT. Local B&B's are far cheaper and quite often nicer.
 
User avatar
TheOutpatient
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 373
Joined: March 2013
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Park tips and tricks

Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:34 pm

I always say this so sorry if its repetitive for some people but hang completely lose on Oblivion's drop, it feels great. Just like you were a rag-doll, let your arms and legs dangle infront of you. It doesn't feel like free fall unless you do it this way.
 
User avatar
tori_swift
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 101
Joined: September 2010
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Park tips and tricks

Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Single rider queue isn't always guaranteed to be quicker, check the length of the SRQ when you can as sometimes large groups join it. Always check the free app as they have exclusive money off deals! Also the website has some print off vouchers. And I definitely agree about the free fall thing on Oblivion!
 
Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1203
Joined: August 2014

Re: Park tips and tricks

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Arrive for ERT (early ride time) at 9:00 and ride RMT til quarter past, then go and do Nemesis The blade and air until 10:00 after that go in an U shape around the park (maybe missing out on the smiler if the queue is an hour or more. Once you have done the full U shape go to get sky ride from Darkforest to Forbidden Valley. Repeat the U shape, got me 24 rides in on Friday!
 
User avatar
Altonboy001
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 159
Joined: February 2013
Location: Stoke

Re: Park tips and tricks

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:49 pm

AT lover wrote:
Arrive for ERT (early ride time) at 9:00 and ride RMT til quarter past, then go and do Nemesis The blade and air until 10:00 after that go in an U shape around the park (maybe missing out on the smiler if the queue is an hour or more. Once you have done the full U shape go to get sky ride from Darkforest to Forbidden Valley. Repeat the U shape, got me 24 rides in on Friday!


dont forget is only smiler blivvy and cbeebies land open now for ERT the rest of the park is blocked off, do smiler and blivvy ERT because there is no queue you can get on them both about 10 times each
 
Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1203
Joined: August 2014

Re: Park tips and tricks

Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:51 pm

The new line up is back, after 17th it will not be available til end of season. The line up for you :( From 4th September - 17th October
CBeebies Land
• Postman Pat’s Parcel Post
• In the Night Garden Magical Boat Ride
• Mr Bloom’s Allotment
• Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
• Something Special Sensory Garden
• Justin’s House Pie-O-Matic Factory
• Nina’s Science Lab
• Charlie & Lola’s Moonsquirters and Greendrops
• The Numtums Number-Go-Round
• Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
• Big Fun Show Time
• CBeebies Photo Studio

Forbidden Valley
• Air
• Nemesis
• Blade

Katanga Canyon
• Runaway Mine Train
 
User avatar
Altonboy001
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 159
Joined: February 2013
Location: Stoke

Re: Park tips and tricks

Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:03 pm

AT lover wrote:
The new line up is back, after 17th it will not be available til end of season. The line up for you :( From 4th September - 17th October
CBeebies Land
• Postman Pat’s Parcel Post
• In the Night Garden Magical Boat Ride
• Mr Bloom’s Allotment
• Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure
• Something Special Sensory Garden
• Justin’s House Pie-O-Matic Factory
• Nina’s Science Lab
• Charlie & Lola’s Moonsquirters and Greendrops
• The Numtums Number-Go-Round
• Tree Fu Tom Training Camp
• Big Fun Show Time
• CBeebies Photo Studio

Forbidden Valley
• Air
• Nemesis
• Blade

Katanga Canyon
• Runaway Mine Train


i never knew it had changed, thanks Ryan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests