UK theme parks from another point of view!

Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Re: 2015 Scarefest

Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Andy Mc wrote:
Also has anyone noticed how the story to Nox: Infernus is completely different to the zone itself?

Not sure its supposed to have a story, as far as I'm aware its a few wraiths, couple of girls in white dresses & some others running around in cultist outfits.

It isn't completely different to the zone at all, the wraiths and 13 girls are from when 13 originally opened except this year the wraiths can talk :) The cultists and the evil dark spirits of the dark forest warning you not to enter. And the to creatures are creatures of the dark forest (stilt walkers of the ATTP). Its very well done and gives the zone atmosphere great set of actors too.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:41 am

I really liked the scarezones, they really made the areas feel alive. Just walking along in forbidden valley and suddenly there's a guy scurrying along next to us revving a chainsaw and giggling. I do sort of miss the separate areas with more themeing but if they don't have the staff and budget to do both i'm happy with these areas.

SkuM001
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Prepare4Air wrote:
What time does the monorail close on Scarefest? Thinking of jumping in the longest queue at 8:59pm on Sunday but wouldn't want to walk all the car park in the dark and cold :) Also, how busy is it expected to be on Sunday?

I expect the coming Saturday to be the busiest day of Scarefest so far, but Sunday is always much quieter than the Saturday in any given weekend. The coming Sunday will probably be comparable in crowd level to Saturday just gone.

On Saturday just gone, it was moderately busy between about 11am and 5pm, but the queues started getting much shorter as the evening went on, and everything apart from Molly Crowe was a walk on or under 10 minutes after 8pm. So there probably won't really be a longest queue at 8:59pm, in fact the last hour is a great chance for some reriding.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:34 pm

After 4pm tickets end this Friday. With half term coming up & weekend I sure hope its a busy second week to Scarefest as its been quiet so far each weekday this week.

Any who as newspapers make the rounds with articles some promo images come to the surface. Here are some more you may or may not have seen which just shows the level of detail which has gone into Sub Species this year.

Not sure why they would add this but Alton Towers added footage of the strobe room in ToTT, needless to say audio is better than visual can't see hardly anything naturally. Kinda pointless promo I feel and a spoiler for those who have never done ToTT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz34X08FEQA

Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Thorpegirl123
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Can the after 4pm tickets be brought at the gate or online only? Only asking as we are considering taking our son after school on Friday but we won't know for sure until the day so I don't want to rock up and find out we can't and end up paying full price for the sake of a few hours. Any info would be much appreciated :D

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:08 pm

Thorpegirl123 wrote:
Can the after 4pm tickets be brought at the gate or online only? Only asking as we are considering taking our son after school on Friday but we won't know for sure until the day so I don't want to rock up and find out we can't and end up paying full price for the sake of a few hours. Any info would be much appreciated :D

Just to start make sure your son looks 15 so he can do the scare mazes, they are great this year, probably the best they've ever been! It's £18 online, but not sure if you can buy on the gate, I'd imagine you would as AT do like their money!! I'd personally buy online, as well as the maze combo ticket!!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Thorpegirl123 wrote:
Can the after 4pm tickets be bought at the gate or online only?

Alton Towers twitter got back to me and said they are available to be purchased on the day at the kiosks.

https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/ ... 4862102528

JonDoesTT
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:42 pm

TheSmilerMan wrote:
Andy Mc wrote:
Also has anyone noticed how the story to Nox: Infernus is completely different to the zone itself?

Not sure its supposed to have a story, as far as I'm aware its a few wraiths, couple of girls in white dresses & some others running around in cultist outfits.

It isn't completely different to the zone at all, the wraiths and 13 girls are from when 13 originally opened except this year the wraiths can talk :) The cultists and the evil dark spirits of the dark forest warning you not to enter. And the to creatures are creatures of the dark forest (stilt walkers of the ATTP). Its very well done and gives the zone atmosphere great set of actors too.

Ah ok. Either way, dark apocalypse looks much better.

Credit to NemesisRider

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:56 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DDnaztgXVA Dark Apocalypse walkthrough.

Mikkel
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:44 pm

Had a great 2 days there just got back.

Terror of the towers:

Solid maze as usual. Great atmosphere, lighting. Really fun.

Molly crowe: (Did this first just as it was getting dark) Brilliant first impressions. The Queue line, soundtrack, the tunnel walkway, The introduction by the fine actor.
Then sadly it went down hill for me. Yes, I understand they wanted to do something different, but to me, for a few reasons I will list below made it not so fun. 1) Not seeing the actors. 2) Bumping my head on what i would assume were wooden beams between the ropes. 3 ) The leader walking to quickly and leaving the group.. I was concentrating more on finding the rope and my way than being interested in what the actor's were doing or saying. And i couldn't wait for that part to be over. If molly crowe returns, it needs tweaking for me. No hood perhaps, a themed walkthrough, or something different again but without the hood, please. However, I though the ending was really , really well done. But I just really didn't like the messy middle kind of spoilt it for me.

Sub species:

I don't know what I can say that hasn't been said already but this was fantastic. Couldn't praise it enough. The control room hyping you up, the way you enter ...or get dragged into should I say. Actors were really in your face which I wanted more of. I even ,and I don't know if anyone else on here experienced this.. got bit on top of the ear, by an actor quite hard
He was in my ear saying things and I then I felt his mouth on my ear. I wouldn't exaggerated this! I guess he felt he could push the bounderies more with me. I couldn't see this happening to a female or many others. Was shocked for a second but I couldn't care less. Wow. Got called, the usual like "dirty rat", "vermin" . My tip is to try and get lost, create distance from your fellow participants and you will really get picked on. Don't follow others. Go your own route. There is no right or wrong way. Well, there is to some degree but they will push you in the right direction if you stray. Loved it.

I also had a second turn on sub species the next day.

Went through a different door. And I'm not sure if is because of this? Or because it was earlier in the day? or different actors? but it felt way more tame, No one really pushed me, or were insulting me like the first time around. I did see different things though which was good.

I guess it just depends on many different factors. But was still brilliant.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:10 am

I agree with you Mikkel, that is very good advice. I cannot stress enough to get the full experience out of Sub Species do not follow others. Take your time around the maze, the actors will find you and toy with you :)

As for the biting on the ear I can believe it. Someone got hurt tonight apparently and she complained but I'm sorry but it annoys me they go into a maze knowing full well actors will be forceful and touch guests then complain about it.. that was probably over exaggerated.

Different actors, different experiences. Some will no doubt tone it down because that's simply who they are, they know what is acceptable and not as such. Whereas you'll get the occasional actor who just gets that far into character they do almost anything. I've heard of a guy getting pecked on the lips by another fellow actor, needless to say he was not impressed and furious haha. People just need to loosen up and have fun.

Mikkel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:25 am

Definitley. I wish I took even more time now. That annoys me. I don't want people to get a more tame experience as a result of complaints when you know what you're going into. My girlfriend got her earring ripped out when an actor put his finger in her ears and pulled away. Obviously unintentional, but she didn't complain about it and understood that things happen when you're in that environment.

Yes, true. Some are a bit more cautious. Hahaa that's hilarious. It's a very unpredictable experience.

I would of liked to have done the more crazy preview you tested before I'd offically opened. Sounds a blast.

Twice just wasn't enough. Oh well, next year!.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:32 am

I agree with you on Molly also, should the entertainments team decide on bringing Molly Crowe back it needs altering. Peter the Entertainments Creative Manager was there Saturday, may still be hanging around the exit to Molly / Sub Species asking what people thought.

I gave him my honest answer, it was different, didn't pack scares and was focusing too much on guiding myself rather than the story but the ending I couldn't fault. It was genuinely decent. The extreme version has been said to be hardly any different apparently.

Doing Operation Lockdown on Friday evening so can't wait for that.
Last edited by Aidan Lowe on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zach
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:56 am

Andy Mc wrote:
I agree with you on Molly also, should the entertainments team decide on bringing Molly Crowe back it needs altering. Peter the Entertainments Creative Manager was there Saturday, may still be hanging around the exit to Molly / Sub Species asking what people thought.

I gave him my honest answer, it was different, didn't pack scares and was focusing too much on guiding myself rather than the story but the ending I couldn't fault. It was genuinely decent. the extreme version as well has been said to be hardly any different apparently.

Doing Operation Lockdown on Friday evening so can't wait for that.

I'm doing lockdown Friday evening too!

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:23 am

TheSmilerMan wrote:
I'm doing lockdown Friday evening too!

So is Amber afaik! :D

The more I see of these Scare Zones the more they grow on me, the use of lightning and smoke as well as the actors seem decent. I think the fact its hard to avoid the actors in DF is awesome and it brings interactivity to the whole people in that zone.

Good example is like 3 minutes into this video, they just freak people out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFB2JWXGcGI

Thorpegirl123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:36 am

Andy Mc wrote:
Thorpegirl123 wrote:
Can the after 4pm tickets be bought at the gate or online only?

Alton Towers twitter got back to me and said they are available to be purchased on the day at the kiosks.

https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/ ... 4862102528

Thank you for finding that out for me, much appreciated :D

Thorpegirl123
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:43 am

After reading all your reviews on the mazes I really like the sound of them but I screamed all the way through saw the maze a few years ago with my eyes closed most of the time! I'm such a wimp I doubt I would last a few seconds without freaking out. I will just use my son being 11 as a good excuse to avoid them on the day and send the other half in on his own instead I think.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:31 am

We did Sub Species again the next day and I was the last one out, so the last actor grabbed me and forced me down on my knees waving a pipe in my face before lifting it up as if to smash my brains out. Luckily my brother grabbed me as he did so and we sprinted out with him screaming and chasing us. Fun times :D

So I didn't find it tamer during the afternoon.

Mikkel
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:57 am

I look forward to your reviews of operation lock down.

saw boss, that's sounds crazy. I love how pretty much everyone has different stories to tell coming out of it.

disfunktion
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:36 am

Are tickets for individual mazes available at the park on the day of visit?