Page 4 of 8

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:18 pm
by Zach
definedancing wrote:
TheSmilerMan wrote:
I can assure you none of the ride ops on the smiler are as young as 18.


There are 18-year-old ops at Towers, but operator positions aren't just given out like sweets. You have to have at least a years hosting experience, although there are some exceptions, and you almost always start out on a smaller ride, such as the Mutiny Bay and Cloud Cuckoo Land rides, before moving onto the bigger attractions. 18 is the minimum age, so I get annoyed how people are dismissing them as just kids.

Missingaa, I must say that I genuinely love my job and I thought that my training was second to none. It was in-depth, well delivered and a good combination of theory and practical, and they always seem keen to get you passed off on as many rides as possible. There may have been changes but on the aspect of training it has seemingly always been good.


I know there are but ops on smiler I'm aware of none

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:10 pm
by missingaa
definedancing wrote:
Missingaa, I must say that I genuinely love my job and I thought that my training was second to none. It was in-depth, well delivered and a good combination of theory and practical, and they always seem keen to get you passed off on as many rides as possible. There may have been changes but on the aspect of training it has seemingly always been good.


So their training is still fantastic then, and it is still a great place to work, that's great to hear... Thank you.

It did surprise me to read the account on that blog, as it was not my experience of the place at all.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:31 pm
by Danny
definedancing wrote:
TheSmilerMan wrote:
I can assure you none of the ride ops on the smiler are as young as 18.


There are 18-year-old ops at Towers, but operator positions aren't just given out like sweets. You have to have at least a years hosting experience, although there are some exceptions, and you almost always start out on a smaller ride, such as the Mutiny Bay and Cloud Cuckoo Land rides, before moving onto the bigger attractions. 18 is the minimum age, so I get annoyed how people are dismissing them as just kids.

Missingaa, I must say that I genuinely love my job and I thought that my training was second to none. It was in-depth, well delivered and a good combination of theory and practical, and they always seem keen to get you passed off on as many rides as possible. There may have been changes but on the aspect of training it has seemingly always been good.


Would you say that from the training you were given, you were taught how to deal with an emergency situation whilst working on a ride? As that is what that ex worker claims he was taught nothing of the kind. Do they specifically teach you what to do if there is an accident involving your ride and what you should do to help etc;?

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:47 pm
by definedancing
You are trained on evacuation procedures and what to do if there is a fire/intruder threat and who to contact. That being said they prepare you for situations that you are somewhat likely to come across; the situation on Tuesday was certainly not one of them, however, the hosts did the right thing by getting people out of the area and letting the professionals deal with the injured.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:03 pm
by missingaa
The important thing is that you are training to a high level on how to do your job safely. Obviously the key thing is to make sure that staff know how to avoid things like this accident occurring in the first place. Of course something has gone wrong here, but to blame Alton Towers training methods, is a bit unfair when their record is really good. I would guess that most people who have worked there, and other similar places are likely to tell you the same as I have, that Alton Towers training is far far superior.

Quite what the OP of that blog expects AT to train it's staff in I am unsure. Does he think they should be trained how to cut people from a wreck? How to treat the wounded? By all accounts so far, the staff did their job wonderfully from the point of the accident. Evacuated the area, called first responders, and so on. That is what they are trained to do, that is what they did, I don't see what else could have been done.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:45 pm
by Instant Mix
God I'd love to work at Alton, I mean it's a bit of a shame that I currently live 260 miles away from it. The actual hands-on experience would be amazing. Obviously with the whole elephant in the room thing I can't imagine Alton doing fantastically well on the whole "let's bring in people" thing

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:23 pm
by KoasterKraver
What is the minimum Scarefest actor age? If you have any info please pm me!

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:19 pm
by lewis97
KoasterKraver wrote:
What is the minimum Scarefest actor age? If you have any info please pm me!

18, as far as I'm aware.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:26 pm
by Zach
lewis97 wrote:
KoasterKraver wrote:
What is the minimum Scarefest actor age? If you have any info please pm me!

18, as far as I'm aware.


The minimum age is 16.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:44 pm
by KoasterKraver
Do you have to attend all scare actor auditions or just one on a day that you can make it? Also, what happens in the auditions, anything to bring, what you do there?

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:19 pm
by KoasterKraver
Please can someone help over DM and give me a bit of info. Thanks.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:22 pm
by Aidan Lowe
Unless anyone has spent time doing Scarefest as an actor / attending an audition I hardly see how anyone could help. Your probably best getting in touch with Alton Towers directly.

https://www.facebook.com/altontowersjobs/ or for basic info visit here.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:53 pm
by KoasterKraver
Andy Mc wrote:
Unless anyone has spent time doing Scarefest as an actor / attending an audition I hardly see how anyone could help. Your probably best getting in touch with Alton Towers directly.

https://www.facebook.com/altontowersjobs/ or for basic info visit here.


Ah I already did... But probably will do again next year

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:50 pm
by Aidan Lowe
From Monday 16th November the job listings go up for those who are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/altontowersjob ... 6286821826

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:14 pm
by definedancing
For anyone applying for ride host I wanted to add that I've loved this season and you probably will too! I am happy to give any advice as long as it doesn't entail information that could potentially get me into trouble; things like interview advice and what looks good etc :).
If you're considering it, do it!

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:30 pm
by Max
TowersStreet are reporting that up to 190 jobs will be lost at the park over the closed season.
More here https://towersstreet.com/news/2015/alto ... -190-jobs/

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:07 pm
by Stan.H
I think this is the right topic to post this in...

Does Alton Towers do work experience for Year 10's, as I am hoping to do mine their, I'm contacting them nearer the time (I'm in Year 9) as I really really want to do it there!

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:21 pm
by Master_feedback
Yep its on the bbc as well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-34771289

very sad and upsetting for many on here that may be losing there Jobs :(

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:53 pm
by Themeparksandy1981
I think it's a bit wrong putting job listings up for the 2016 season when 190 people may lose there job.

Re: Staff and Recruitment Discussion 2015

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:04 am
by Aidan Lowe
Regardless of the redundancies being made they still need to start the employment process for staff next season :) It'll be here before you know it.