UK theme parks from another point of view!

Wedjie
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:43 pm

The only thing I can think of is a new car was added at roughly the same time the empty car stalled.

The ride op/engineer in charge saw the empty car on the transfer, forgot/misinterpreted one being added, and assumed it was the test car having returned.
Assuming the track was clear, they then allowed/instructed for the first lift to be restarted (after it had reportedly stopped for 10 minutes) and the car full of people to crest the hill.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but are the override controls at the base of the lift hill? If so, that's underground(kinda) and definitely you wouldn't be able to see the stalled car from there.

Just my thoughts!

nataliemelfa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:07 pm

The BBC have posted a small lot of statistics on this news story; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33011347

Theme park safety
1 billion rides a year taken at fairgrounds & theme parks
1 death in the UK since 2006/07
1.5 injuries per million rides in Europe each year
5% of accidents caused by technical problems
1 in 24m chance of being seriously hurt

I find it encouraging that there is a little *less* scaremongering!

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Lots of articles seem to state the crash was only at 20mph.

I'm not sure about this though, as from memory, you go around the batwing a lot faster than that.

Perhaps they tried to apply the trim brakes on the bunny hop to stop it entering the bat wing? (not even sure it possible)

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:19 pm

nataliemelfa wrote:
1.5 injuries per million rides in Europe each year

This is such a low statistic, especially considering that an injury could warrant anything: neck pain, hurt wrist, hit by something in the air. Obviously it could also be serious injuries, but hopefully if anyone reads this article they will have a little more faith in roller coasters.

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:23 pm

I think that 20mph seems a little small if im honest, especially seeing how much damage was done to the carriage.

Im thinking of setting up a petition to pressure Nick Varney and Merlin into being more open with whats happening day by day and to give us the cause once the investigation concludes. Can you all pm me your thoughts? I know it could potentially be disadvantageous although I doubt it will be... we will see if I get at least 20 people
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 pm

A petition will not influence what the resort and the HSE release. Ultimately the HSE will publish their own report or stipulate what needs to be openly shared with the public, with the resort responding accordingly.

nataliemelfa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:34 pm

TheBeast wrote:
I think that 20mph seems a little small if im honest, especially seeing how much damage was done to the carriage.

The BBC are now reporting that it was 20mph, but I agree that the damage did not seem to match up with that...unless the carriage was significantly weak...Seeing as they are designed to absolutely be nowhere near another carriage I wonder how much impact testing would have been done. Earlier reports state 56mph, but seeing as the rides max speed is 52mph it is likely all guesswork I suppose!

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:34 pm

They will have to be, the H&S Executive will have to know, and then I think it is put in a file online. Not even Nick Varney knows but I think he will say what caused it. If you want to start a petition, do it once the park has re opened as it won't re open until they know what caused it.

Luce
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:40 pm

I don't believe a petition is a good idea to be honest and certainly won't help the situation as Lewis has said.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:43 pm

A petition won't cause Alton to make decisions, twenty people have signed a close the smiler petition, that won't make the ride close. It's up to the park, merlin and H&S what happens with the park and this terrible incident

TheBeast
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 pm

nataliemelfa wrote:
TheBeast wrote:

The BBC are now reporting that it was 20mph, but I agree that the damage did not seem to match up with that...unless the carriage was significantly weak...Seeing as they are designed to absolutely be nowhere near another carriage I wonder how much impact testing would have been done. Earlier reports state 56mph, but seeing as the rides max speed is 52mph it is likely all guesswork I suppose!

Id seen 50mph originally, so idk where this 20mph value has been plucked out from to be honest. Its not even like we can know properly anyway, unless you are an Alton Towers worker, as we haven't got any sort of feedback (thats not a jab about the petition btw ;)). I just think 20mph was waaaaay too low of a value to cause so much damage

Message recieved about the petition, thats why I always ask first! :lol
Credit to NemesisRider for an amazing signature!

nataliemelfa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 pm

Wedjie wrote:
The only thing I can think of is a new car was added at roughly the same time the empty car stalled.

The ride op/engineer in charge saw the empty car on the transfer, forgot/misinterpreted one being added, and assumed it was the test car having returned.
Assuming the track was clear, they then allowed/instructed for the first lift to be restarted (after it had reportedly stopped for 10 minutes) and the car full of people to crest the hill.

Can't remember off the top of my head, but are the override controls at the base of the lift hill? If so, that's underground(kinda) and definitely you wouldn't be able to see the stalled car from there.

Just my thoughts!

Seems like a likely scenario to me...if it was something like that, how horrible for the ride operators. I almost hope that it was a computer malfunction so some poor ride operator doesn't have that on their shoulders :( All round just a horrible horrible horrible thing to have happened at all.

Danny
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:47 pm

I would not do a petition, we are supposed to be a community supporting Merlin through this disaster, even if we blame them. You would be adding more grief and work for Varney and the management, and there attention should be focused on working with the families and H&S execs.

Anyway...
So after watching POV's there is no way the train is only doing 20mph when it hit the stationary one, so here's my theory based on this infomation being true.

Is there a possibility that the trim brakes on the first airtime hill just before inversion 5 was increased to reduce the speed further, therefore reducing the impact of the crash?
I don't know if this is possible, but the operator, providing it was left in maintenance mode, would've been able to do that if he knew how to.

Just a thought after watching some POV's, as 20mph sounds ridiculous otherwise. :)

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I believe it was the towers themselves that confirmed the 20mph part. It would be pretty easy to work out the speed through forensics, who will have done their thing by now.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:49 pm

If it was going 50mph by that inversion, the first train Would surely have made it through seeing as it's maximum speed is 52, so 20mph is much more likely. Also certain trains may get damaged worse than others.

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:56 pm

Yeah I've always wondered about that 'trim-brake'. Is it actually a trim brake, and can it be altered in any way in an emergency like this??

nataliemelfa
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:04 pm

Has anyone read this; http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/al ... er-5824114

It's horribly written :no:

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:15 pm

The Mirror and the Daily Mail in particular have been pretty awful about the whole situation. There was a report from one of the media outlets stating that one of the victims lost a leg in the accident, however there hasn't been any official statement so I don't believe it!

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm not really sure to be honest. I thought the boys would be more injured with them sat on the outside of the train but it sounds like the girls injuries are terrible. According to someone on the ride they needed a blood transfusion.

leammiles
TT Member
TT Member

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:23 pm

The media have been a disgrace throughout all of this, that mirror article is ridiculous.

Earlier on Central news on ITV they interviewed the guy who doesn't want to be identified and his story was basically...

I told staff that there was an empty carriage and they ignored me and sent another one round.

For all anyone knows, the "staff" could have been someone at the drinks stand who would have no control over the situation. Almost definitely whoever he told wouldn't have had access to the staff in the control room or the technicians so the warning would have been pointless anyway.

Surely half of these stories being published are slander or libelous, accusing that staff ignored warnings, or that the ride was unsafe because it had stopped for maintenance earlier in the day. A layman could take these statements as fact if they didn't know any better

As someone who was in a car crash last year, I know how traumatic it is to see a stationary car in front of you and that knowledge knowing there is nothing you can do but prepare for impact...its awful and I'm still not over it. Hopefully the people on the ride get all the help they need to recover both physically and mentally and my love is with them all.