UK theme parks from another point of view!

nataliemelfa
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:28 pm

How devastating. I was hoping that the lack of news meant that they had all survived with limbs intact. Though, having worked in hospitals for years, I know that weeks of effort can go into trying to save a leg before the decision to amputate is made. Thoughts go out to Leah and the others. A long road to recovery but at least they survived <3.

Glad to see visitors at the park today, some positives to be had at least.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:35 pm

I like how rumor circulated but news confirmed the day the park re-opens. Its tragic for anyone to lose a limb, very sad.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

nataliemelfa
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 pm

Dan.N wrote:
As garfield3gs has posted above, Leah Washington, the 17 year old girl involved in last Tuesdays crash on The Smiler has had her leg amputated.

Link to the article below:

Alton Towers Smiler crash: Leah Washington's leg amputated
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33040618

Also, I feel that despite the media feeding frenzy that the BBC deserve some plaudits for their reporting of the whole case. They have sought out people attending the park and asked their opinion, and have reported some peoples reasons for not returning fairly whilst ignoring the trolls floating around. Reporting of the facts when they have them, and whilst they have some unconfirmed facts- they have made them clear they are not confirmed 'the bbc understands that' etc...No I don't work for the BBC :D

Evostance
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:43 pm

nataliemelfa wrote:
Dan.N wrote:
As garfield3gs has posted above, Leah Washington, the 17 year old girl involved in last Tuesdays crash on The Smiler has had her leg amputated.

Link to the article below:

Alton Towers Smiler crash: Leah Washington's leg amputated
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33040618

Also, I feel that despite the media feeding frenzy that the BBC deserve some plaudits for their reporting of the whole case. They have sought out people attending the park and asked their opinion, and have reported some peoples reasons for not returning fairly whilst ignoring the trolls floating around. Reporting of the facts when they have them, and whilst they have some unconfirmed facts- they have made them clear they are not confirmed 'the bbc understands that' etc...No I don't work for the BBC :D

BBC reporting guidelines state that they cannot produce news based of rumours. Anything they report must be factually correct with valid sources.

This is why you'll never get trash through the BBC, and why they always seem to be slow with their news. In this case, someone that was on the park that day could have made up a rumour that ^^ lost a limb. Sky News would be reporting this in about 6 different articles purely based of an unverified rumour.

BBC must wait till it's confirmed.
Lessons to learn, if you hear something in the news that isn't from the BBC, take it with a pinch of salt unless it has valid sources.

Legoluce
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Tragic news, so sad to see this confirmed. Thoughts are with her and her family :(

browr020
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Sr88 wrote:
shaundentwilliams wrote:
It was a human error as well as a technical problem as a ride op he should of waited for the test car to come back to the station till he dispatched another with people on.
As a technical error the block sencers weren't working as a result the accident was unstoppable because there was no brake run

I am very glad you have been able to complete this investigation on their behalf.

Extremely unlikely as it would mean 2 or more sensors would have to fail at exactly the same time, as a redundancy/fail safe all important sensors are grouped in twos or three, if the input is different between them the ride will shutdown instantly.

humanshifter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Oh no, poor girl :( my thoughts are with her and the others.

I also want to praise the bbc, reading that Leah's father just wants privacy for the family makes me feel ill that so many news sources were reporting someone had lost a leg before anyone close to the victims confirmed it. :/

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:18 pm

It's absolutely awful that she's now got to live with this, I am interested now to see what changes are made to The Smiler's trains to ensure this never happens again.

Hats off to the BBC for remaining minimal with the information, respecting her family's wishes for privacy. Makes Sky look even worse having tried to pry the information about it from Nick Varney.

Luviico
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Such sad news about Leah, my heart goes out to her and her family having to deal with such a terrible situation due to something that is supposed to bring joy. Whatever is deemed the outcome from the investigations the smiler will not get off lightly here. It might of done had the injuries been minor but not now. If it does resume operation in the future then people will be very apprehensive to ride. It doesn't matter what caused it, what matters the most is that someone has suffered a life changing injury. Should the ride carry on operation with its current name, soundtrack and theme? I say no. Nobody is smiling any more and the soundtrack is mocking. A complete overhaul should be done out of respect.

sw7nutter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:37 pm

I don't think they will do much to the theme if anything, they may just change the name. They will upgrade the ride systems do the odd media event to show that they trust it. Then the incident will fade into history. People still ride Drenched after someone died. People still ride PMBO and the big dipper and they have had collisions in the past.

garfield3gs
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:55 pm

I don't think that it will be the end of the the smiler as someone said above there are big rides out there that people have unfortunately died on and there is rides out there that have crashed and caused injury. Many if not all these rides are still open to this day. Plenty of us have ridden rides in the UK, Europe and USA that have caused injury or death. A make over of the smiler is an option but could this make things worse? Everyone knows what the media is like. I'm sure all of us on here will be wishing all the casualties our best wishes.

Ps anyone on park today from on here ?

nataliemelfa
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:26 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33 ... w_facebook

The BBC story has now been updated with further details on injuries sustained.

All the best to those affected <3

Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:09 pm

I have already shared my opinion on the whole incident, however I would like to offer my condolences for Leah Washington and all of those affected by the incident once again.

Jack
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:12 pm

It is truly horrific that this has happened. I think we all know she will not be able to make a full recovery physically, but I hope that she can stay strong mentally to be able to deal with the whole incident. My sympathy goes out to her, her family and everyone who has been affected by the whole incident :)

MakoMania
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:14 pm

We musn't forget in all of this that Alton Towers has an excellent health & safety record-the best out of any UK theme park I believe. However as Nick Varney said, one accident is one too many, I hope the investigation gets to the bottom of this quickly.

My thoughts go out to Leah & her family and all those affected by Tuesday's dreadful incident.
SeaWorld has rescued over 35,000 animals in need![/i]

oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:31 pm

Absolutely devastated to hear the awful news about Leah. Amputation is such a difficult thing to come to terms with, especially when she's only 17, bless her. My heart goes out to her and her family and also her boyfriend (?) she was at AT with on Tuesday. It could have been anyone, it's a shame she was so young too.

On another note, the payout for this kind of thing is usually huge. Contrary to what you might believe, probably more of a payout than death, as the loss of a limb is life limiting, rather than life ending. She'll have to live with this for the rest of her life, and someone / something has to pay for that, be it AT themselves, insurance companies, Gerstlauer etc…

I hope this hasn't put too many people of Alton Towers itself, as this could have happened to any other coaster at any other park, it's just a pity it's happened at all! Unless it was human error, I don't feel Alton Towers are to blame here. Taking into account all that was done, including response times, closure of the park & X-sector, NV's response to the media; Kay Burley especially, they've done a mighty good job and should probably be praised (when the time is right) for their crisis management in this horrible situation.

I doubt Leah, her family or her friends will ever visit a theme park ever again, but I really do hope this doesn't affect AT too badly, since it's 99% guaranteed this will never ever happen again.

Fragga
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:31 pm

I think the accident and now the news coming out is just the start of what will end up being a very long drawn out public ordeal.

The publics perception of Alton and the smiler from this point on is likely to get worse and worse. This isn't a a story that's going to be gone and forgotten about anytime soon, especially when poor Leah makes her first public appearance amputated leg and all telling us how horrific that day is and how it will ruin her life. Then we will have the invetiable channel 4 dispatches documentary which will include an account of the events and interviews with all the victims that all paints a picture of blame at Alton and its no doubt breach of safety regulations that put lives at risk.

Then we move on to the absolute certainty that the HSE will publicaly shame Alton towers and its safety procedures before they take them to court and impose multiple criminal neglect charges upon them.

As this is going on, footfall will reduce at the park as it takes a further battering in the media and profits will drastically drop.

Of course all of the above is a worse case scenario but let's be honest here, it's all very probable it will happen.

There is much discussion here when Alton will reopen the smiler when in fact it's not a decision that's upto Alton to make as there not a chance in the world the HSE will allow it.

MerlinFan
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:03 pm

I don't think the impact on footfall has been as great as people suggest. The BBC were reporting this morning that local B&B and hotels lost out hugely as a result of the closure of the park - one hotel owner had lost all his bookings when the park was closed. He then reported that as soon as the news came out that the park was re-opening his phone was ringing off the hook and his hotel is now fully booked for the next 2 weeks! It doesn't seem to have put too many people off...

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:36 pm

garfield3gs wrote:
I don't think that it will be the end of the the smiler as someone said above there are big rides out there that people have unfortunately died on and there is rides out there that have crashed and caused injury. Many if not all these rides are still open to this day. Plenty of us have ridden rides in the UK, Europe and USA that have caused injury or death. A make over of the smiler is an option but could this make things worse? Everyone knows what the media is like. I'm sure all of us on here will be wishing all the casualties our best wishes.

Ps anyone on park today from on here ?

i was there today... press all over the place like vultures, even had the chopper hovering over!

yeh, its sad news BUT worse things have happened on other rides accross the world and they're still operating!

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:54 pm

Sr88 wrote:
shaundentwilliams wrote:
It was a human error as well as a technical problem as a ride op he should of waited for the test car to come back to the station till he dispatched another with people on.
As a technical error the block sencers weren't working as a result the accident was unstoppable because there was no brake run

I am very glad you have been able to complete this investigation on their behalf.

I really don't get why people are still spewing out this nonsense of waiting for the test car to come back, it's such a simple point......it doesn't matter how many test cars you send around, when you have up to 5 in the system, there is eventually and inevitably going to be an empty car in front of the car that you eventually choose to load.

Also even though know one knows the facts of what happend other than the HSE who are still investigating, I will point out that the 2 statements of that theory contradict one another, how can it be a human error if a technical error allowed the dispatch. This is not how the ride functions, in automatic operator mode all the operators are doing are locking trains, despatching them into the first section indoor when clear (the system allowing them to), bring trains into the station and unlocking them and clearing them, repeat.