UK theme parks from another point of view!

garfield3gs
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:37 pm

SPAD wrote:
garfield3gs wrote:
I don't think that it will be the end of the the smiler as someone said above there are big rides out there that people have unfortunately died on and there is rides out there that have crashed and caused injury. Many if not all these rides are still open to this day. Plenty of us have ridden rides in the UK, Europe and USA that have caused injury or death. A make over of the smiler is an option but could this make things worse? Everyone knows what the media is like. I'm sure all of us on here will be wishing all the casualties our best wishes.

Ps anyone on park today from on here ?

i was there today... press all over the place like vultures, even had the chopper hovering over!

yeh, its sad news BUT worse things have happened on other rides accross the world and they're still operating!

ah that was my next question for people who where there for today, did they bother you ? as i seen on twitter that people where getting bothered by them. i had thought that the media would be around the park but i didnt expect AT to let them bother people in the park but that my opinion.

i recall the tree top twister at LWV had an accident that someone sadly died in and im pretty sure that is still running to this day?

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:45 pm

big thunder mountain railroad at Disneyland derailed and killed a guy too and thats still there!

there were journos everywhere... even suspect some were plain clothed digging for info... security were everywhere!

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Just on BBC midlands today they have said that in the last few minuets AT have put out a statement saying they accept full responsibility for the crash
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33040618

techiejay
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:51 pm

there were journos everywhere... even suspect some were plain clothed digging for info... security were everywhere!

I heard a rumour that AT were handing out free return tickets to visitors today, so that they could return again when X Sector re-opens, is this true?

Jay

tgm999
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:13 pm

garfield3gs wrote:

i recall the tree top twister at LWV had an accident that someone sadly died in and im pretty sure that is still running to this day?

Yes it is still open and it has since been renamed to 'the twister' most people have forgotten about the accident and it still gets queues.

techiejay
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:47 pm

Master_feedback wrote:
Just on BBC midlands today they have said that in the last few minuets AT have put out a statement saying they accept full responsibility for the crash

Hats off to AT and Merlin for this, seriously. The usual process for things like this is to wait months and months for the HSE report and then conduct independent investigations etc which can take years to complete, all the time delaying any potential compensation or care payments to victims. The fact that AT have taken this step and also readily advised all involved to pursue legal action and compensation (which will end up costing them and their insurers a lot of money) shows once again that the well-being of their guests is of paramount importance to them.

Jay

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:49 pm

techiejay wrote:

I heard a rumour that AT were handing out free return tickets to visitors today, so that they could return again when X Sector re-opens, is this true?

Jay

That's correct.

Sr88
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:23 pm

techiejay wrote:
Master_feedback wrote:

Hats off to AT and Merlin for this, seriously. The usual process for things like this is to wait months and months for the HSE report and then conduct independent investigations etc which can take years to complete, all the time delaying any potential compensation or care payments to victims. The fact that AT have taken this step and also readily advised all involved to pursue legal action and compensation (which will end up costing them and their insurers a lot of money) shows once again that the well-being of their guests is of paramount importance to them.

Jay

Yes, also don't forget that their reputation is on the line here, and how they deal with this can and will make a huge difference, especially with all of the media listening to every word (apart from sky, who don't listen to anything). So obviously they need to deal with this in the way they are or it will be an even bigger problem.

But, yes, I completely agree, hats off.

Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:29 pm

It's absolutely insane that in this day and age, a publicly trading investment company would come out and admit absolute liability this early. They must be pretty certain that it wasn't a ride hardware problem on Gerstlauer's end at this point then, which makes it look more and more likely that it was down to human error.

It's insane to think that without Merlin backing them, this could have ruined the park financially. Its pretty obvious they're paying out from their own pockets because no insurance provider would pay out a penny until investigations were complete. Just from a business stand point...wow...my mind is just blown away.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Very impressed by Merlin & the Alton Towers Resort each day I read good things about how they are dealing with this, admitting and taking full responsibility as well as urging the injured to claim is bold. *claps*

A guest who visited the hotel this weekend was given a letter of apology, 2 free nights stay elsewhere in the year, unlimited use of the waterpark, golf & tree top quest & tickets for a return date later in the year.

Shows they value the safety of their guests & are willingly compensating people.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Maybe they're in a position where they can say for certain what the cause of the crash was, hence the admission of liability. They would then be covered by their insurance company.

ricardobugsy
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 pm

I cant believe that a train full of passengers was despatched before an empty test car had completed its run
and arrived back in the station.

Although the empty train should never have stalled, it was MORE LIKELY to stall than a fully laden train due to it
running much slower because of the reduced weight.

If hardware failure is not to blame then there must be a way to fudge/fool the system into running the ride
which I would say constitutes a flaw.

No other Gerstlauer coasters apart from the Merlin ones have been shut for inspection which seems strange and so it does point towards an operating protocol failure.

xxbennxx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:24 pm

If there was even the slightest possibility that there was a chance this was equipment malfunctioning, there is no way at all that the park would accept full liability, no matter how horrific the injuries. As i said before there can be no other option than human error at play here. From a business standpoint, something which i am very qualified to talk about, being A, a graduate of many years of academic study in business and business management, and B, a business owner myself. You do not admit liability unless there is no doubt you are to blame.

If this was a failure of sensors, or of the systems provided to them by the manufacturer of the ride. It would be in the parks best interest to not admit liability.

If i sold somebody a product or provided somebody a service that caused them injury, and it was not known whether the fault was mine, or the people who i had purchased that product or service from initially, i can't admit liability, as i have to be sure that i either am, or am not to blame.

If i am to blame, i am going to admit liability and the buck stops with me.

If i am not to blame, then the liability lies with the manufacturer.

If it is unsure, then i work with the manufacturer to come to an agreement as to whether one or both of us are to blame.

If liability is admitted and it is not mine to admit, the manufacturer are in the clear.

Think about it logically, if any device provided by Gerstlauer was to blame, now the park have admitted full liability, Gerstlauer will not be chased for damages.
Massive child. Married 2 years. Father of one. Must be doing something right?

ukparknews
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:35 pm

xxbennxx good points there.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:44 pm

So if the park have admitted liability for it then it must be as most of us suspected, human error. The ride system acted as it should and e-stopped, but was over ridden, reset and re-started without checking the block for the train even though the system had stopped because the block wasn't clear.

Therefore nothing wrong with the ride system. So there is a possibility that they could get it up and running again in the not too distant future as HSE should sign it off to re-open if it is proved to be safe.
Last edited by dazza4783 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxbennxx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Exactly
Massive child. Married 2 years. Father of one. Must be doing something right?

Stan.H
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Alton towers doesn't seem to busy at all, 25 mins at the biggest... Dosen't stop parents taking their kids to Cbeebies land though (60 mins... & Above at times!!)

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:23 pm

But if it is human error, then is it possible we could see the park shut again whilst staff are trained again. After all, if its human error then every ride on park is a possible threat.

dazza4783
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 pm

As a few people have been saying this accident is almost identical to an accident on the Alton Mouse in 1991.

To quote a post from towersalmanac.

"A car stalled on the second big drop. The ride shut down as designed, with other cars held at various blocks before and after the stalled car. The ride operator re-started the ride thinking that the stalled car (which had valleyed) would also start and continue its journey. Of course it couldn't, but since the ride had been restarted the stalled car effectively vanished. A second car collided with it."

Sounds very familiar, am surprised the media haven't picked up on that.

stealthsmiler wrote:
But if it is human error, then is it possible we could see the park shut again whilst staff are trained again. After all, if its human error then every ride on park is a possible threat.

What do you think they will have been doing for the past week.

Screech
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:36 pm

I've seen lots of people commenting their best wishes on the end of their posts on here.

Please add them to the Facebook page where hopefully they'll see them

https://www.facebook.com/pages/All-the- ... 4493711507

Cheers