UK theme parks from another point of view!

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:22 pm

MerlinFan wrote:
Why would they take down the Saw signage? Nothing bad had happened on Saw.

Merlin scraped an entier scaremaze following genral bad media about hallowen costums ... saw is very close to home in comparison With smiler being the sister ride if saw... merlin could just not have the apitie to keep it!

Danscott22
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm not too sure they will change the name, I was talking to staff and however reliable this is I'm not too sure, but HSE have apparently asked that branding is removed for 'the foreseeable future', which is until they know what will happen to the ride.

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:34 pm

ricardobugsy wrote:
I'm not sure if they will change the name of the Smiler or not, but the name now has the stigma of the accident attached to it which is not a good thing for any future promotions.

Sometimes after a serious incident in a nightclub you will find that they close down and re-open
within a couple of months under a new name.

rides are not normally re-named or re-branded after an accident... i can't see this being any different tbh

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Danscott22 wrote:
I'm not too sure they will change the name, I was talking to staff and however reliable this is I'm not too sure, but HSE have apparently asked that branding is removed for 'the foreseeable future', which is until they know what will happen to the ride.

that is also what they told me....

i honestly can't see a re-brand if/when the ride re-opens... the media would jump on it as if they are trying to hide its gruesome past!
Last edited by SPAD on Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master_feedback
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Danscott22 wrote:

That sounds very off the mark Hse wouldn't give a flying monky about pos and themeing they only have power over things that have a direct possability to harm

Danscott22
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:48 pm

That's what I was told, like I said I don't know how reliable or accurate it is. It also sounds like they are not too sure on the ride's future, but if it stays I think it will remain 'The Smiler'

timmy1372
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:07 pm

I'm pretty certain the Smiler will get a name change.

I don't think it will reopen until next season, if at all!

A name change would be in respect of the victims, I think Merlin will be very keen to distance themselves from this incident, the new name would be reported but the link between old and new soon forgotten.

I would be very surprised of the Smiler opened again this season, It reopening again next season would create much less media coverage, the closer we get to the end of this season the more of a rush it would be to reopen with only a potential few months left of the season, especially september onwards, which is always quieter, other than scarefest etc.

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Some news on a more positive note: Daniel Thorpe has been released from hospital.

Leah Washington, Joe Pugh and Vicky Balch are unfortunately still in hospital.

http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Alton-Tow ... story.html

Source: Derby Evening Telegraph

homer22422
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:19 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Danscott22 wrote:
Also, when stood next to The Smiler it appears that all 5 cars have been removed from the track, and the logo has been taken off but 'The Smiler' name seems to have just been temporarily covered up.

Going by this image it looks as though the lettering has been removed, but then tape has been used to cover the adhesive which I assume could still be distinguished as reading 'The Smiler'.

I think I have an idea of why they have only removed the logo.
It might have been added to the old car (as the logo on that singular car was heavily damaged) that had damages after the collision and this would stop the media from going insane from the park allowing the use the same car that crashed on the ride

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:21 pm

re-naming the ride would make it look like they are trying to cover up what happened, i honestly can't see them doing it....

people have died on other rides across various parks and the rides haven't been re-named....

humanshifter
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:24 pm

I think it's less covering it up, more wanting to change all/some theming because it could now be seen as inappropriate (Smile Always, Get Corrected, the medical-looking parts of the video and the syringes, etc)

If they changed it some reporters might try to spread it as them covering it up, but it would be reaching. Everyone knows about what happened. They can't cover it up.

I hope they don't have to change the theme at all but I could see them doing it out of respect for the victims and their families. They're not smiling. (I think someone said it better than me earlier on in the thread...)

Sr88
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the name and theming but somehow made the overall feel and appearance a bit 'safer', if that makes sense.

homer22422
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:40 pm

To those who did not see my message

It might have been added to the old car (as the logo on that singular car was heavily damaged) that had damages after the collision and this would stop the media from going insane from the park allowing the use the same car that crashed on the ride

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 pm

homer22422 wrote:
To those who did not see my message

It isn't only the logo they have removed, they have also removed "The Smiler" lettering from the entrance structure.

The logo on the entrance is also significantly bigger than the one that was on the front of the trains, so it will not be put onto the front of that one. I highly doubt that Alton will use the trains involved in the crash again, I believe they will order two more from Gerstlauer.

The branding has simply been removed from the resort as the ride is closed for the foreseeable future. When the ride re-opens I'm sure we will see some (if not all) of the branding return.

SPAD
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:48 pm

humanshifter wrote:
I think it's less covering it up, more wanting to change all/some theming because it could now be seen as inappropriate (Smile Always, Get Corrected, the medical-looking parts of the video and the syringes, etc)

If they changed it some reporters might try to spread it as them covering it up, but it would be reaching. Everyone knows about what happened. They can't cover it up.

I hope they don't have to change the theme at all but I could see them doing it out of respect for the victims and their families. They're not smiling. (I think someone said it better than me earlier on in the thread...)

but take a look at Saw... "i wanna play a game" and "congratulations, you are alive" marketed as a torture device for people who risk their lives riding thrill rides...... what's more offensive(?!)

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:51 pm

SPAD wrote:

but take a look at Saw... "i wanna play a game" and "congratulations, you are alive" marketed as a torture device for people who risk their lives riding thrill rides...... what's more offensive(?!)

The only reason SAW is closed is because of it's very similar design to The Smiler.

SAW won't get a re-brand. It wasn't involved in the crash and the GP won't necessarily realise it was built by the same manufacturer as The Smiler.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:01 pm

I hope the theme isn't changed. I visited Alton Towers for the first time last year and The Smiler was the standout experience of the trip and the theme played a big part. An attraction based around a sort of Orwellian nightmare, that's insane in a good way.

I wish those involved all the best as that event was something no one should have to endure, but I can't help thinking about all the people in car crashes with life changing injuries from just today wondering where their own media frenzy is.

Justin
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:03 pm

Dan.N wrote:

The branding has simply been removed from the resort as the ride is closed for the foreseeable future. When the ride re-opens I'm sure we will see some (if not all) of the branding return.

I agree. Personally, I hope The Smiler theme returns in the same form once reopened. If any changes are made then I expect The Smiler face will be removed from branding. Until then it is all speculation!
Last edited by Michelle on Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to fix quote ~ Michelle

Stellafella
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Has anyone seen any gp on park wearing smiler merchandise? Just wondered if AT would ask them to change?

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm not sure... I'm not wearing my Smiler clothing for a while as it could be seen as disrespectful.

It's also interesting to note that the signs saying what each entrance is has been removed.