UK theme parks from another point of view!

 
vinyljunkie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 17
Joined: August 2012

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:01 pm

I was down on Monday and Tuesday and I noticed something in the towers shop, where the smiler merch used to be there's the air merch. Its all 50% off which has got me thinking, its 3 months till end of season, do you think they are selling g off the air merch to then fill it with the smiler merch when the smiler opens next season? Is it mabey a wee hint that the smiler is opening next year, or am I mabey reading it wrong?
 
Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1847
Joined: February 2013

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 pm

TH14TEEN wrote:
Many of you only seem to care about the ride here. Have some empathy.


Probably won't come across well and you can think of me what you will, what happened is tragic but yes I do care more about the ride and Alton Towers, a place I invest a lot of time and enjoyment in.
Formerly known under username Andy Mc
 
User avatar
Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posts: 2354
Joined: June 2009
Location: Stockport

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:17 pm

vinyljunkie wrote:
I was down on Monday and Tuesday and I noticed something in the towers shop, where the smiler merch used to be there's the air merch. Its all 50% off which has got me thinking, its 3 months till end of season, do you think they are selling g off the air merch to then fill it with the smiler merch when the smiler opens next season? Is it mabey a wee hint that the smiler is opening next year, or am I mabey reading it wrong?


I believe all Air merchandise is 50% off as they are wanting to sell as much stock as possible before the enhancements to the ride for next season.
Image
Image
 
User avatar
Lotty
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 139
Joined: April 2004
Location: Cambridgeshire

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:19 pm

I was down on Monday and Tuesday and I noticed something in the towers shop, where the smiler merch used to be there's the air merch. Its all 50% off which has got me thinking, its 3 months till end of season, do you think they are selling g off the air merch to then fill it with the smiler merch when the smiler opens next season? Is it mabey a wee hint that the smiler is opening next year, or am I mabey reading it wrong?


As much as I'd like to think so, I think it has more too do with what's happening with air next year. New mercy more likely
Image

Created By Lewis97 :)

Was Thrillbaby now Lotty :)
 
vinyljunkie
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 17
Joined: August 2012

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:21 pm

Ah!!! I never thought about that cheers guys!! :)
 
stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 944
Joined: January 2014

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 pm

TH14TEEN wrote:
Many of you only seem to care about the ride here. Have some empathy.



This may come across as a bit heartless and harsh, however that is not intended.

As mentioned before you only need to look back at the pages of comments wishing all the best for the riders however people move on. For those on the ride or close to them they will still be affected by this and will be for some time, however for most who don't know them, they can feel empathy towards them however they will go on with their lives and two months on, people will want to know about the ride. People can only avoid talking about the ride reopening for so long out of respect. I personally, as harsh as this is, now care more about the ride as I as a customer want a full ride line up when I hand over my money. Many planes have crashed however I'm sure nearly everyone here has boarded planes since, the same models even as planes that have crashed. The ride shouldn't be taken down or shunned, especially if it is human error.

I do wish all the best to all those affected by this, however now I am more interested in why it happened and when it will reopen. You cant let other peoples problems continue to bring you down forever whereas the ride closure is a problem that affects me.
 
Smiffy107
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 47
Joined: June 2015
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:59 am

Hmm this whole incident really has smeared the parks reputation and squandered the season for the park, I really hope next season they recover from this, I know people are still visiting but not as much as they were at the start of the summer
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
 
Jammydodger
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 375
Joined: March 2011

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:57 am

I feel like the best thing to do would be to get it reopened this season.
The year is already a write off, and its not going to affect visitor numbers anymore than it already has.

However if they reopen it next season, it's going to reignite the whole incident all over again, and potentially make a bigger dent into next seasons numbers. And lets not forget the 101 inevitable freak out stories that will crop up when the ride has a breakdown or e-stop. If they time it right, they can get all this out of the way with just as this years season comes to a close.
 
ST-Chris
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 47
Joined: June 2013
Location: Chester

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:13 am

i normally visit a good 15+ times a year

ive been once this season end of april, and no intention of going until the smiler reopens

havent renewed my MAP either due to this

so hurry up and open! :twisted:
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am

It's not callous to move on, and I'm sure the peeps on that car would prefer not to be brought up every time the ride is mentioned.

Personally I can't wait to ride it again and I will be intrigued to find out what the HSE report says.
 
Smiffy107
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 47
Joined: June 2015
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 am

Jammydodger wrote:
I feel like the best thing to do would be to get it reopened this season.
The year is already a write off, and its not going to affect visitor numbers anymore than it already has.

However if they reopen it next season, it's going to reignite the whole incident all over again, and potentially make a bigger dent into next seasons numbers. And lets not forget the 101 inevitable freak out stories that will crop up when the ride has a breakdown or e-stop. If they time it right, they can get all this out of the way with just as this years season comes to a close.



AT wouldnt DARE re-open the smiler before the end of the season, that would be like the staff saying 'yeah there was a crash but we don't give two hoots, lets re-open it cos its our most popular ride and it doesn't normally happen so everything would be fine'

It would come across as so disrespectful to leah washington and the other victims, I'm fortunate I went on the smiler once before any of this, I can't see the smiler re-opening for at least another 6-12 months of vigorous testing & the HSE report has come out. I do agree with you about your point about how if it did re-open before he end of the season, you would only end up having loads of final destination premonition type stuff happening with people constantly leaving the queue.

The parks best bet is to keep the ride closed until at least next year.
The woman asked 'spare a farthing for a beggar', the earl cruelly dismissed her, and instructed his driver to head back to the towers, scorned the old woman screamed the curse 'FOR EVERY BRANCH OF THE OLD OAK THAT FALLS, A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY WILL DIE!'
 
Sentri558
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 123
Joined: July 2013

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am

Most of what we're saying is presuming the HSE allows the ride to open within a year. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to force Alton Towers to replace all the software on the ride and implement a stronger version of the safety protocol.
 
User avatar
Altontowersbarlow
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 833
Joined: February 2013
Location: United kingdom

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:46 pm

I have no idea when or if The Smiler will re-open, however the decision can not be made either way until HSE have deemed the ride to be safe and a full report detailing and explaining the incident is released. I am sure that Alton Towers will continue to deal with the situation as professionally and appropriately as they have been doing, however it is not in their hands at this point.

My personal opinion is that the ride should re-open, however when is at the discretion of the park and HSE.
 
Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1203
Joined: August 2014

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:16 pm

If they are going to re open it, they need to do it quietly and not market its re opened, people who visit will tell people it's back open, and the media won't give as much hassle
 
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 459
Joined: October 2014
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Oh brilliant - the Mirror's latest story is about how AT are going to build a new hotel to bring visitors back after the Smiler crash. They'll do anything to bring the story up again and remind everyone.
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
 
Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 1203
Joined: August 2014

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm pretty sure the extension was planned before the crash, the mirror are making themselves look silly now...
 
User avatar
lewis97
Team TTSP
Team TTSP
Posts: 4360
Joined: November 2012
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:39 pm

Ryan.B wrote:
I'm pretty sure the extension was planned before the crash, the mirror are making themselves look silly now...

It was - the application states that they had a meeting with the local council to discuss the proposal back in May, so it was in the pipeline long before that. The article also states that the plans were revealed on the same day that Leah Washington was interviewed on This Morning, which is also wrong.
Image
 
S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 459
Joined: October 2014
Location: Shropshire, England

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:40 pm

lewis97 wrote:
Ryan.B wrote:
I'm pretty sure the extension was planned before the crash, the mirror are making themselves look silly now...

It was - the application states that they had a meeting with the local council to discuss the proposal back in May, so it was in the pipeline long before that. The article also states that the plans were revealed on the same day that Leah Washington was interviewed on This Morning, which is also wrong.


To be honest I think you'd struggle to find a line in one of the Mirror's stories that isn't wrong...
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.
 
xylyx
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 427
Joined: February 2013
Location: Chesterfield

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:15 pm

They really are fishing for reasons to keep mentioning it, even when the folks involved have said that being reminded of it upsets them.

Madness, thankfully I think the gp are just as bored of them as we are.
 
oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member
Posts: 28
Joined: June 2015
Contact:

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Altontowersbarlow wrote:
I have no idea when or if The Smiler will re-open, however the decision can not be made either way until HSE have deemed the ride to be safe and a full report detailing and explaining the incident is released. I am sure that Alton Towers will continue to deal with the situation as professionally and appropriately as they have been doing, however it is not in their hands at this point.

My personal opinion is that the ride should re-open, however when is at the discretion of the park and HSE.



The fact of the matter is, the Smiler is a safe ride. It would never even have been opened if it wasn't safe. I really hope the length of this investigation isn't distorting people's perceptions of this ride, because as with every other roller coaster in the world, they're safer than cars, planes, parachutes… etc… this was merely a fluke accident. HSE will consider if the same set of circumstances will be repeated, and the steps to take to completely eliminate this. They will simply be looking for that extra level of safety. NV's interview with Kay Burley does (unnecessarily repeatedly) go on about how the rides were 'not safe enough', but it's like looking at a crossroads, and asking why every single crossroads is not traffic-light controlled to allow just one direction to travel at once. Sure it's obviously safer, but it's really unnecessary. If the report comes back human error, I suspect HSE will want to remove that human intervention power, and hand 90% of the operating control over to the ride, as when running properly, machines are more reliable than humans.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 135 guests