UK theme parks from another point of view!

homer22422
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:07 pm

Wow, they are really trying to bash Alton Towers. What the hell is wrong with the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/trave ... -Park.html

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:06 pm

Meh, it's just that headline. They probably just needed a well known theme park name to contrast the lesser known park.

Dom
Fabulous
Fabulous

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:48 pm

Thrillmad wrote:
I do find it quite unfortunate those who dislike the ride personally are wanting it to be closed expecting it to be replaced with a beloved B&M, which is very unlikely to happen ;)!

Having done the Behind The Scenes tour of this fabulous attraction I can personally say the I feel it is by far the safest ride in the park in terms of the mechanical features. I do unfortunately agree it was constructed badly, however this is not Gerstlauer's fault, this is the fault of the company who assembled the ride. We do not know the reason to why this unfortunate incident occurred but what we do know that it was a freak accident and the way people have been reacting is in my opinion quite childish in some ways. Of course this is the minority of people, and overall I feel the TowersTimes community have handled the incident fairly well.

I do feel sorry for those involved, (as well as the family and friends of the unfortunate Cedar Point victim). At the end of the day, the victims want to move on, Merlin want to move on, so I think it would be best to accept the incident happened and move along with it. Stuff like this happens sometimes it cannot be changed, so come on everyone, just let it go now and be grateful that no fatalities occurred :)

People will always react in different ways to things like this. I personally don't like the ride, but i wouldn't want to see it replaced with anything. It is a good addition to the park, and as you say it was just very unfortunate that this happened. And even though those involved still have a long road ahead of them, its nice to see them talking so open about the incident. As for the papers, well lets just say i think they will never learn so just ignore it.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:50 pm

I should have made it clear that it's only a select few, but I respect your honesty and I'm the same. If a certain B&M I'm not a fan of were to cause injury, I wouldn't want it to be replaced until it had reached its time. I just think it's time for everyone to try and move on now, who cares what the papers say :P

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:48 pm

They may not be talking about it but they are listening and there Keeping away from the park. You only got to look at ridetimes and Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure has the biggest queue in the park with 30 mins.
With the other ride breaking down and out of action it's not been a good year for the park.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:08 pm

The fact it happened makes it the worst year for the park. Ridetimes has been consistently showing cbeebies land thriving, I'm certain they'll weather it :)

Adam.W
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:17 pm

It's a bit to soon to say that to be honest :) We still have the end of summer and scarefest to do, especially with the overhaul or whatever :)

Iceman
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:11 pm

This is my first post but I've been reading this thread with interest since the horrible incident on the smiler.

My opinion on the future status of the smiler will only be decided when the full details are known. As many posts have stated we are not in full possession of the facts. All we have are theories that fit the little information we have.

I have been on the smiler twice. March 2015. And I really enjoyed it. The teething troubles the ride experienced never figured into a decision on whether to ride it. I had confidence in the safety of the ride. It had proved itself.

It's not the first rollercoaster to crash. And as many others have pointed out other rides have reopened after people have died. There was a ride where the necessary maintenance was not performed and the train derailed. Would that stop me riding it? No, because we know why and can stop it happening again.

Frequently I'm reminded of a film called Game Change. It looks at Sarah Palin's campaign in the 2008 election. One character remarks that the reason they lost is not down to what she said, but how often it was repeated.

That's how I feel about this incident. It seems magnified somehow by the age of social media and the ability to find any information or footage of the crash instantly on a smartphone. I hope the report does not get lost somehow in all of that.

Tom G
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:04 pm

It's going to be interesting to see how popular Scarefest and fireworks are, they will be the key period for any damage limitation this season.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:32 pm

They are on a major charm offensive atm,what with towers tastic summer and whatnot, so with any luck.....

Awright92
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I thought I should bring this to everyone's attention. This is growing beyond a joke now, there is over 4 videos of this guy making a conspiracy theory up about the whole thing being a hoax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRlWjeU-93I

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Don't know what quite to say to that.. suppose by now he realized it wasn't a hoax, if I was him I would of taken them down, makes him look rather a fool 8-[
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Wow,a conspiracy theory, that is amazing, didn't think any of those nuts would touch it. That's even less of a concern than the press idiocy.

Tom170499
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:38 pm

All he's done really is stalk them which is pretty creepy. He had photos of them saved on his computer :/

He is clearly one of those weirdos who don't believe anything they see such as the moon landing or 9/11. I bet he's sat in darkness with tin foil wrapped around him right now! Strange, strange person

stealthsmiler
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:54 pm

You see I don;t 100% believe 9/11. But this is just ridiculous. What would be the reason behind faking a crash and loosing £50 mil. Also what about the two girls who now have a leg missing each.

Capt.Barnacles
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58 pm

I will refrain from any comments too personal on this individual but I've come across his videos and I strongly believe he doesn't know what he's talking about. From reading his comments he certainly came across as the 'conspiracy theorist' type, bringing up 9/11 in his counter-arguments. I've just ignored him since attempting to reason with him and prove his theories false once, which was a futile effort. I recommend anyone else who sees the videos does the same.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 pm

Conspiracy theories arise from believing only what you want to believe and over thinking the evidence. Trying to convince someone with that outlook that they're deluding themselves generally only results in frustration.

Best just to ignore them lol.

Ryan.B
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I've commented on it, with evidence from others it was true, and the comment is blocked. He can't be that silly to think this is a actual hoax, surely? I think he might be seeking attention and trolling. If you say it's not a conspiracy, he sends back abuse. I wouldn't be bothered watching his videos, they're a waste of time.

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 pm

Logic is rarely on their side, sadly I have no doubt he does believe it, add in the other folks who feed in their own interpretations and its a bizzarre feedback loop of insanity lol. Shame really: if they expended that amount of energy on something useful they could make an actual difference, but hey ho.

JammyBand
TT Member
TT Member

Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Just ignore him. Even if he is being genuinely serious (which seems ridiculous), the best thing to do is to just click away and ignore. Because the more you watch and the more the comment, the higher Youtube rates the video because of the algorithm they use. So just don't comment, don't watch the actual video, and just don't even click on the link to the video. So yeah :D