UK theme parks from another point of view!

NemesisRider
TT Member
TT Member

Re: The Smiler Incident 02/06/15

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:15 pm

I wouldn't want a retheme to be honest. I feel like rides that have a full and well-executed theme shouldn't be rethemed at the drop of a hat, The Smiler has one of the most well crafted themes I have seen.

I think that we may not see a retheme, if anything because the mug multipacks and things like that still feature Smiler merchandise. If they wanted to erase all the things that featured it in the shop then I would have expected a retheme, but as this is not the case I think the original theme will stay. I like The Smiler as it is/was :moj

Aidan Lowe
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:37 am

Anyone remember the wallpaper I created back in 2013 before The Smiler opened.. http://postimg.org/image/jl4xd5vq9/
Formerly known under username Andy Mc

xylyx
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:54 am

That's fantastic. Love the grimy menace of the whole thing. :)

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:34 am

I think a good sponsor could save the Smiler life. I bet 90% of theme parks guests couldn't care less of a roller coasters theme or name. As long as it's a good coaster that all that matters. Just look at Spinball for example it's the same coaster but with a new colour and sonic stickers and boarding. I think they should look back to 1998 when it 1st opened X sector and all ride staff should be wearing the same uniform. Keep the effects but on the screen instead show Dr Kelman looking over his test objects. He could also feature on the video at the half way point. They could put staff as guards and build a look out tower on top of the building so if it does break down again at least 1 member of staff could go up and see every section of track is cleared.

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:39 am

It's a good idea, but who would want to sponsor The Smiler?

Emma
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm pretty sure the last thing they are thinking of right now is how to re theme the ride.

They will be too busy investigating what went wrong before even considering if the ride is safe enough to open, let alone a re theme.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:21 pm

I think they know what has happened as there would have been many members of staff in the control room and there all keeping it quiet and letting HSE work out what really happened.

oliverfox
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Morgan wrote:

Why did Cadbury want to sponsor Air?

The Smiler is, for many, the best ride at Alton Towers (not all, I know!) and despite the recent incident, I'm sure a lot of companies would still be up for sponsoring the ride if it meant they could influence it's possible new design?

Morgan
Team TTSP
Team TTSP

Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:59 pm

My only concern is that this coaster has a lot of bad press, so it could rub off on the company

Dan
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:02 pm

No company would want to sponsor The Smiler, given everything that's happened since 2nd June.

All they need to do is implement enhanced safety protocols, get the prohibition notice lifted, test it thoroughly, give it a good clean and get it open :)

Vladimir Bobinski
TT Member
TT Member

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:47 pm

Ignoring the intolerable music, the branding is quite strong. As much as I'd hate to see a re brand on something so quickly, the reality is I can see it being strongly considered with the stigma that will be attached to this ride and the name.

theparklifekid
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 am

even if the ride had a retheme people will still say "dats the one dat crashed and sum one lost eh leg"

JaykeAT
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 am

theparklifekid wrote:
even if the ride had a retheme people will still say "dats the one dat crashed and sum one lost eh leg"

Well you certainly pain a good picture ;)

In terms of the re-theme, AT are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they change it, the press can say they are covering up. If they don't, they can be called insensitive. Either way they will be getting bad press if/when it opens. Personally, I'd keep the current theme but could understand a decision in the opposite direction.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 am

This is my own personal thought and opinions.

I can see the ride being either rethemed or removed and relocated to another park with a retheme.

Due to the incident thats happened there is no way the current theme can stay. The Smiler name, laughing, marmalisation of body and mind all just no longer suit the ride and would be insensitive. If it was called anything else of themed as anything else it would be fine.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:19 am

Morgan wrote:

I don't understand why a ride needs to be sponsored? I mean it was by Krave for the first 1 or 2 seasons but now it has not got that sponsor, are you saying a ride needs to be sponsored to do well - if so, we are not Six Flags!!!

As well as this, I honestly don't know where this idea of the ride getting rethemed has come from :-k

I think it would be a bit much to retheme the entire attraction and we know for certain that it will not be moving from its current location - as it has been testing and Nick Varney has vaguely stated it will not be being removed. Also you say it would be 'insensitive' but surely that could be seen about doing anything?
How can we not be certain someone isn't going to be offended that if they retheme the entire attraction, someone might be upset as they may be seen as being too sensitive. Also, although I understand it's your opinion I hardly see how changing the name and theme would make everything 'fine' to the more sensitive induviduals in the surrounding community, we do live in a very over sensitive world after all!
Furthermore, although it should not be taken as 100% accurate, Nick Varney has stated that he will specifically be riding 'The Smiler' in the future, also hinting at no retheme occurring.

Rob
Team Admin
Team Admin

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:07 pm

Owen wrote:
As well as this, I honestly don't know where this idea of the ride getting rethemed has come from :-k

A retheme is possible. There are three possible outcomes:

Reopens as smiler, reopens with a new theme, is removed

Owen wrote:
we know for certain that it will not be moving from its current location -

Nothing has been decided or confirmed.

Owen wrote:
as it has been testing

The ride hasn't been testing. The only time it has been running since the incident is for the HSE investigation.

Sawboss
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:31 pm

Insensitive to who though? The people in the crash? I doubt they care if the theme is changed or not and just want to move on. Sort of seems like that thing of being offended on other peoples behalf.

Owen
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:42 pm

But there has been nothing really to suggest a retheme. I did not specify when the ride was testing - and you seem to avoid how Varney has stated he will be riding The Smiler, which although I don't see as 100% confirmation of it returning u think we can be pretty certain they won't be removing an 18 million pound attraction leave a large pit ;)

S.J_O'Grady
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Another reassuring thing is that The Smiler has not been removed from the resorts website. Promotional images, info and ride stats are all still there, just a note stating that it's currently closed.
https://www.altontowers.com/things-to-d ... he-smiler/
Life is a roller coaster. You can either scream every time you hit a bump or you can throw your hands up in the air and enjoy it.

Themeparksandy1981
TT Member
TT Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:22 pm

They could still call it the smiler but re-market the ride with new logo,sound track and videos. Like look at Rita for example that was just repainted.